Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud is the New Slow – Looking Ahead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a perspective that loud is the new slow; a reference to how production EVs can be so much faster than loud souped-up ICE cars. To that point, I think most would agree it's pretty striking to see four-door sedans like the Tesla Model S Plaid (around $140k US) and Lucid Air Sapphire (around $250k) keeping pace with or beating a Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport (limited production supercar at around $4m). Indeed, any of Tesla's models (S3XY), especially the performance editions, are among the fastest and quietest accelerating cars on the road.
So, if loud is the new slow, and quiet is the new fast, will we eventually limit how fast EVs can accelerate? With over-the-air (OTA) update capability, should age or driving record be a factor? How about geofencing based upon location or road type? Should we simply let experience dictate future control?
Any futurists out there … want to chime in?

Reactions: ArchHamster
That's something which has been on my mind since first setting foot in my tesla. While speed sign readings has become worse in fsd beta, with normal fsd reading speed signs was like 90 percent accurate. It feels like with minimal additional support from government we could have all new cars require the ability to read sign speed limits and limit the top speed of cars.

I really don't see how this isn't coming. Like, sure car manufacturers may fight it but I mean is top speed even a stat normal people consider for the majority of new car purchases? Pretty much everything can go over 100 mph and that's all you need unless you are in the minority that tracks.

Acceleration seems like it would be the next step after limiting top speed.

Edit: Totally agree on silent being the new cool. Even as a tesla owner, when I see other evs and teslas on the interstate accelerate effortlessly from 70 to 90 mph, it feels way cooler and more intimidating than a gas engine screaming for attention.

Reactions: JeffR
That's something which has been on my mind since first setting foot in my tesla. While speed sign readings has become worse in fsd beta, with normal fsd reading speed signs was like 90 percent accurate. It feels like with minimal additional support from government we could have all new cars require the ability to read sign speed limits and limit the top speed of cars.

I really don't see how this isn't coming. Like, sure car manufacturers may fight it but I mean is top speed even a stat normal people consider for the majority of new car purchases? Pretty much everything can go over 100 mph and that's all you need unless you are in the minority that tracks.

Acceleration seems like it would be the next step after limiting top speed.

Edit: Totally agree on silent being the new cool. Even as a tesla owner, when I see other evs and teslas on the interstate accelerate effortlessly from 70 to 90 mph, it feels way cooler and more intimidating than a gas engine screaming for attention.
You make some good points. The "screaming for attention" comment has crossed my mind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

Reactions: ArchHamster
The Mrs and I were commenting about this the other day while driving the X5 45e.

A 370z with an almost certainly modified exhaust was beside us, making a bunch of racket as the light turned green and we all set off.

All that show and relatively little go to show for it. Sad.
Maybe we'll eventually see those noisy ICE cars being a little more conservative when sitting at a light beside an EV.