Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Noise Coming From Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My 2017 MS 75D is a little bit short of 2 weeks since pick up. A few days ago I was driving on the freeway and then back through town and noticed a loud noise coming from the back. Was tough to hear at first because I had music on, but when the volume lowered for the nav after the freeway, I noticed it. The sound was loudest at higher speed and went away when slowing down. When it was at it's loudest, it was loud enough that it gave me a head ache.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly when it started or what speeds caused it. It has since gone away and hasn't come back.

My question to everyone, any idea what may be causing this? I did some reading and it sounds like this is related to the drive train. I'm really hoping that I don't have a bad unit on a new car.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

This. Not really worried that it won't get fixed just time and hassle. Haven't been to the service center yet, not really sure what to expect.

Assuming the DT is the issue, do drivetrain replacement parts typically take a while to source/complete?

while it is true that tesla will replace the unit the big question is how long it would take them to get the unit to your service center. weeks long waits haven't been uncommon for this unit

This. Not really worried that it won't get fixed just time and hassle. Haven't been to the service center yet, not really sure what to expect.

Assuming the DT is the issue, do drivetrain replacement parts typically take a while to source/complete?

They usually just pull the whole DT and ship it back to the factory and pop in a new one. When I had my older unit replaced about a year ago it took them ~ a week to get it after ordering and just a day to replace it. They gave a free loaner Model S of course. It does sound like something you should contact your service center about. You may want to record the noise with your phone to share with them.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the noise only happened that once and hasn't returned, so I don't have anything to share with them. I took it to the service center and we drove around for a bit in the lot but couldn't reproduce. Sounds like I'll have to wait and see if it returns again before they'll do any more investigation.

They usually just pull the whole DT and ship it back to the factory and pop in a new one. When I had my older unit replaced about a year ago it took them ~ a week to get it after ordering and just a day to replace it. They gave a free loaner Model S of course. It does sound like something you should contact your service center about. You may want to record the noise with your phone to share with them.