Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud noise from AC when set to Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
Just wondered if its normal or something catching/stuck in a fan

Hot weather and all, when i get into my car the AC blasts on full and the unit under the frunk speeds up. But it sounds like an unbalanced fan or something touching/caught in the fan? - Sounds just like a cable touching the fan in a PC case noise (PC builder Geeks will know what i mean!)

When in the car you can feel the vibration on your feet when resting them on the pedals?

(Noise is louder in real life)

I cannot remember if it was the same at the end of August last year when it was hot?

Just wondered if its normal or something catching/stuck in a fan

Hot weather and all, when i get into my car the AC blasts on full and the unit under the frunk speeds up. But it sounds like an unbalanced fan or something touching/caught in the fan? - Sounds just like a cable touching the fan in a PC case noise (PC builder Geeks will know what i mean!)

When in the car you can feel the vibration on your feet when resting them on the pedals?

(Noise is louder in real life)

I cannot remember if it was the same at the end of August last year when it was hot?
My AC sounds just like that. It's either by design or we both require service visits.

Thanks all, its a pain when you can not hear someone elses to compare

My car sounds like this for (in this weather) 5 minutes and then calms down (set time 19/20 ish). If you’re set lower this might prolong that time. Does it stop once it’s cooled?

It does luckily, it was only mentioned when someone heard it and said that does not sound normal. After that i was then noticing it :/

Ours is like that. I added it to our service visit that the car is currently undergoing. I spoke about it on handover and they will run tests and check if anything caught, so will report on outcome, but I got the impression that it is just normally loud.

My concern is the two distinct sounds that it makes. One is the fan whirring fast, but there is a second, almost metallic tone.

Who needs a pedestrian warning system when car is this loud travelling through a car park ;)

Reactions: davidmc
Ours is like that. I added it to our service visit that the car is currently undergoing. I spoke about it on handover and they will run tests and check if anything caught, so will report on outcome, but I got the impression that it is just normally loud.

My concern is the two distinct sounds that it makes. One is the fan whirring fast, but there is a second, almost metallic tone.

Who needs a pedestrian warning system when car is this loud travelling through a car park ;)
It's only that loud on full blast. Under the normal run of things, with a set temperature rather than "LO" at least, it should quieten down.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Ours is that loud when HVAC is on auto and temp set at 20.5 at beginning of journey. Fan remains on 8 and 9 for several minutes even after cabin overheat kept internal cabin around mid 30's. So normal operation when car trying to cool things down.

Mine makes a racket too. Like others, I just wrote it off as something you wouldn’t hear with an ICE car due to engine noise and the way the a/c is driven by the fan belt rather than an electric motor.

This is the first car I’ve ever had that allows you to cool it remotely before getting in. I marvel at how quickly it brings the cabin temperature down from ~40ºC to 20ºC — only a few minutes in my experience. One of the best features on the car IMO.

People in car parks often remark on mine making ‘strange noises’ when I return to it after setting the climate control remotely. People sometimes knock my door to say it is making noises when charging too.

Just been in Spain in the heat and confirm the same noise in my M3 when cooling the car before getting in. Only initially for a couple of minutes when running on full blast. Glad to see it's the same for everyone, my first reaction was that it was faulty although since it still cooled the car admirably, I guessed that it was as designed.

Just got car back from service. It may be indicative of a problem, but have not yet seen invoices so just have handover comment to go on. Apologies, its vague via a non techie intermediately - "Cabin overheat wires rerouted". The fact something was done rather than just dismissed as normal indicates something found.

Just got car back from service. It may be indicative of a problem, but have not yet seen invoices so just have handover comment to go on. Apologies, its vague via a non techie intermediately - "Cabin overheat wires rerouted". The fact something was done rather than just dismissed as normal indicates something found.

Just looked at invoice and contrary to above, everything tested and checked out fine. So sounds like fan noise is normal and no idea what the cabin overheat cable rerouting was all about - the wet harness fix was done several visits ago so it wasn't that.