TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Loud noise from battery

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by cpobuyer, Jan 8, 2020.

1. cpobuyer

cpobuyer Member

Hello,

For my 2015 P85D, I have started noticing loud noise from the car both when it is parked and when it is on the road. Being somewhat sensitive to loud noise, this has become an issue for me. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Sound from inside the cabin when the car was on the road standstill:
    on-road-standstill.mp3

Sound from inside the garage when the car was parked:
    jan8-inside-garage.mp3

I would appreciate any pointers to get this issue resolved. I haven't scheduled a service appointment yet, trying to collect more data.

2. JamstationP85D

My p85d does the same when in insane mode and much louder when insane+ (With fans making noise with + mode as well). I believe it’s the coolant pumps based on some of the scan my tesla app numbers (but could be mistaken).

• Like x 1
  3. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

Hard to hear, but that constant whirring sound? That is the coolant pump.

I assume your SOC is high?

• Like x 1
  4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Mine started doing this all the time after a recent firmware update. It’s like this all night in the garage and still doing when I wake up in the morning. Preconditioning and HVAC are off. It happens when plugged in or unplugged. I’ve had the car almost 7 years and it’s never done this before. Once I set an alarm to check on it in the night and it was still doing it at 3am.

If I drive it to work or otherwise out of the neighborhood, it stops.

• Like x 1
  5. cpobuyer

cpobuyer Member

Yeah I also started noticing this after the recent software upgrade in last Nov.

6. cpobuyer

cpobuyer Member

Did this with SOC at 60% and 78%

7. cpobuyer

cpobuyer Member

I mostly drive in Sports mode, and this noise issue I recorded happened in Sports mode driving.

8. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

This is the new normal. It's part of the recent firmware update. It's your coolant pumps. Right now Tesla is doing this to all the older generation cars like mine and yours. My S60 is doing the same thing.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. cpobuyer

cpobuyer Member

Ah, this firmware upgrade has been a nightmare. It made the car completely useless for long trips and now this noise is killing my head. I wonder if I should even take the car to service center?

• Like x 1
  10. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

They will very likely tell you everything is normal. My father took his P85 to the service center for other reasons and questioned them about this new firmware behavior. They gave him some peculiar answers. That he should be happy they did this to his car because it will improve the longevity of the battery.

11. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

12. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Also, check that the front louvers (below the headlights) are opening as they should. I believe they help with the cooling process, because they regulate inbound air. You may want to schedule an appointment with your service center using the app.

• Like x 1
  13. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Tesla has recently discovered problems with its battery packs and recent software updates have severely reduced supercharging rates, increased coolant pump activity, and artificially reduced pack capacity by 10% or more on vehicles with 85 kWh packs. This may also include 90 kWh and 100 kWh packs. Some are saying Tesla wants to push battery failures beyond the expiration of the warranty.

Search for #batterygate and #chargegate.

• Helpful x 1
  14. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

I dont have noise. But my charge rate has been cut in half. The other day I could only get 19kw. It makes my run to DC take 2 hours longer.
    This is horrible.

• Like x 1