Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud noise from battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

For my 2015 P85D, I have started noticing loud noise from the car both when it is parked and when it is on the road. Being somewhat sensitive to loud noise, this has become an issue for me. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Sound from inside the cabin when the car was on the road standstill:
on-road-standstill.mp3

Sound from inside the garage when the car was parked:
jan8-inside-garage.mp3

I would appreciate any pointers to get this issue resolved. I haven't scheduled a service appointment yet, trying to collect more data.

Mine started doing this all the time after a recent firmware update. It’s like this all night in the garage and still doing when I wake up in the morning. Preconditioning and HVAC are off. It happens when plugged in or unplugged. I’ve had the car almost 7 years and it’s never done this before. Once I set an alarm to check on it in the night and it was still doing it at 3am.

If I drive it to work or otherwise out of the neighborhood, it stops.

Reactions: cpobuyer
Mine started doing this all the time after a recent firmware update. It’s like this all night in the garage and still doing when I wake up in the morning. Preconditioning and HVAC are off. It happens when plugged in or unplugged. I’ve had the car almost 7 years and it’s never done this before. Once I set an alarm to check on it in the night and it was still doing it at 3am.

If I drive it to work or otherwise out of the neighborhood, it stops.
Yeah I also started noticing this after the recent software upgrade in last Nov.

This is the new normal. It's part of the recent firmware update. It's your coolant pumps. Right now Tesla is doing this to all the older generation cars like mine and yours. My S60 is doing the same thing.
Ah, this firmware upgrade has been a nightmare. It made the car completely useless for long trips and now this noise is killing my head. I wonder if I should even take the car to service center?

Reactions: glide
They will very likely tell you everything is normal. My father took his P85 to the service center for other reasons and questioned them about this new firmware behavior. They gave him some peculiar answers. That he should be happy they did this to his car because it will improve the longevity of the battery.

Tesla has recently discovered problems with its battery packs and recent software updates have severely reduced supercharging rates, increased coolant pump activity, and artificially reduced pack capacity by 10% or more on vehicles with 85 kWh packs. This may also include 90 kWh and 100 kWh packs. Some are saying Tesla wants to push battery failures beyond the expiration of the warranty.

Search for #batterygate and #chargegate.

Tesla has recently discovered problems with its battery packs and recent software updates have severely reduced supercharging rates, increased coolant pump activity, and artificially reduced pack capacity by 10% or more on vehicles with 85 kWh packs.

Search for #batterygate and #chargegate.

My 2013 Model S was diagnosed to have a failed coolant pump (in service today, should be repaired in next few days).
I noted to service that I suspect this is related to the non-stop coolant pump activity in 2020/2021 when the battery gate firmware was causing all older Model S (like mine) to run the pump continuously.
Our Model S battery is stellar, still 95% original capacity, and our supercharging has been unaffected, but this coolant pump failure certainly indicates to me the firmware change to identify issues may have had other consequenses.

FYI @wk057

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
My 2013 Model S was diagnosed to have a failed coolant pump (in service today, should be repaired in next few days).
I noted to service that I suspect this is related to the non-stop coolant pump activity in 2020/2021 when the battery gate firmware was causing all older Model S (like mine) to run the pump continuously.
Our Model S battery is stellar, still 95% original capacity, and our supercharging has been unaffected, but this coolant pump failure certainly indicates to me the firmware change to identify issues may have had other consequenses.

FYI @wk057

I've found a lot of the "my pumps wont shut off" complaints tended to be related to 12V battery weakness, but not weak enough to trigger a replacement error. Either that, or 3rd party addons (dashcams, for example) drawing enough power to prevent contactors from disengaging.

Have to remember that the DC-DC converter requires coolant flow, so pumps have to run for this any time the contactors are closed.

I've found a lot of the "my pumps wont shut off" complaints tended to be related to 12V battery weakness...the DC-DC converter requires coolant flow, so pumps have to run for this any time the contactors are closed.

The pump behaviour absolutely changed on our 2013 S during 2020/2021 and after an update later in 2021, the pump was no longer running constantly. No issues with my 12V, and I have no 3rd party draining hardware attached to my 12V system. But yes, sensible reply. Thanks. Before 2020 and now with a fixed pump, and in a garage/barn and cold climate, that might mean my pump rarely runs to cool the battery or DC DC for that matter. Just speculating why my pump makes no noticeable noise even when charging during the winter. I supercharged today to test this, and there was no noticeable noise coming from the car, except the slight fan noise from the dash computer.