Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud noise when turning in drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a M3P and noticed when I turn all the way left or right in drive, it makes a very loud creaking noise that I can feel as well.

This only happens in drive and not in park or reverse.

Here's a video:

Is this normal?

Definitely not normal. Take it to service and have them check it out, they may need to retorque some of the fasteners on the suspension.

FWIW I had a loose nut on the front left lower control arm in my car. Made a similar (but not identical) creaking/popping sound when turning. I torqued it down and it went away.

That's intriguing that it doesn't happen in park or reverse. What if the vehicle is moving slowly, does it sound the same.

Winding on full lock when the car is stopped loads up the steering a lot more than when it is moving and sometimes the relief valve lets go or the belt squeals in ICE driven power steering systems but I don't know what an overloaded electric power steering system sounds like.

Just took it to a service center to get it checked out. They said it's normal and only happens if I'm in drive or reverse, stationary, foot on the brake, and then turn all of way left or right. If I'm on hold, the loud creaking noise isn't there but there's still a slight squeak.

Not sure if it's actually normal or not or if they just didn't want to fix the issue for me.

Just took it to a service center to get it checked out. They said it's normal and only happens if I'm in drive or reverse, stationary, foot on the brake, and then turn all of way left or right. If I'm on hold, the loud creaking noise isn't there but there's still a slight squeak.

Not sure if it's actually normal or not or if they just didn't want to fix the issue for me.

I wonder if it's related to brand new brakes? Might be worth turning regen to low and doing several hard brakings to try and bed them in, and then see if the noise goes away.

Welp looks like I'm going back to the service center first thing tomorrow morning. Car is leaking a lot of blue liquid under the rear of the car: Model 3 leaking blue liquid near the rear

Took those pics earlier today and just went to go check again and the puddle is bigger

EDIT: No service centers are open over the weekend for me :( gotta wait until Monday morning. Probably not going to drive it at all over the weekend since this seems to be a motor/battery coolant leak

Last edited:
Welp looks like I'm going back to the service center first thing tomorrow morning. Car is leaking a lot of blue liquid under the rear of the car: Model 3 leaking blue liquid near the rear

Took those pics earlier today and just went to go check again and the puddle is bigger

EDIT: No service centers are open over the weekend for me :( gotta wait until Monday morning. Probably not going to drive it at all over the weekend since this seems to be a motor/battery coolant leak

What an odd combination of issues. Did something hit the underside of your car relatively hard recently?

What an odd combination of issues. Did something hit the underside of your car relatively hard recently?

Nope. I don’t recalling it leaking when I took delivery and only started to leak a lot yesterday. I did go over some speed bumps yesterday (very slowly because I heard the 20 inch wheels are very soft) so maybe that loosened up a hose or something. Hope it’s a quick fix

Update on the leak: picked up my car today after having it towed on Friday night. Car sat in the service center parking lot over the weekend leaking coolant and they had a chance to look at it today and said the tube that recirculates coolant was cracked. They aren't sure how and just said I was unlucky and got a bad one. They replaced the tube, refilled coolant and got rid of any air that may have gotten in.

So far no leaks. Hope that's the last major issue I encounter.

Any changes on the creaking issue?

Nope, noise is still there if I press on the brakes and turn in drive/reverse from a standstill :/

Every time I'm in a plaza and reverse out of a parking space and brake to put it in drive and turn, it makes the noise and everyone around instantly stares at me lol... I have to reverse and let it go on hold and then put it in drive and turn so it doesn't make the noise.

I take what I said back. I'm able to replicate the noise in my car and it's simply the brakes rubbing against the rotors since the car is in Hold. When I mash on the brakes and turn the wheel, it doesn't make any noise.

Hmm it's the opposite for me. When I press on the brakes it makes noise when I turn the wheel all the way left or right, when it's on hold it doesn't.

Wow, my 2020 Model 3P does the same thing. The wheel is turned all the way right and foot on the brake and I get a loud creaking noise from the front right suspension. When my foot is not on the brake, there is no noise. I do not think that is normal at all. I made an appointment for the 23ed of this month. Hope they do not tell me it is normal.