Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud noises from M3 roof while driving after freezing rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I experienced an annoying and perplexing issue last week when disturbingly-loud "popping" noises started coming from my Model 3's roof while driving after the car was parked in a freezing rain, so I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar or might have an idea of the cause. (An audio recording of the noises is linked below.)

Background:
There was a kinda weird freezing rain one day last week. Or, at least I think it was freezing rain... When I returned to my car in an uncovered parking lot after work, my Model 3 had lots of little globs of ice on it. (I.e., it wasn’t covered in a sheet of ice, but instead had little balls of ice on it, as if giant rain drops had landed on the car and then froze.) Then on the drive home, I started noticing really loud popping noises coming from the roof. It sounded similar to being in a hail storm with very large hail hitting the glass roof. The sounds only occurred while the car was moving, but curiously, they didn’t seem to increase in frequency or intensity when driving over bumps or rougher spots on the road, nor during accelerating/braking hard or taking turns (which I would have expected if the root cause was flexing in the vehicle’s frame). And I didn’t have any cabin heat on, so thermal expansion stuff likely didn’t play a role.

While driving, I looked to see if there were any cracks in the glass roof. There were none. I tried pressing on the glass and then also on the trim between the roof and the rear windshield to see if doing so would stop or muffle the noise, but it had no noticeable effect. When I got home and exited the car, I quickly inspected the areas around the perimeter of the glass, but I didn’t see anything obviously out of the ordinary.

The next morning (after parking overnight in a cold detached a garage) the noises were still there. At this point I took an audio recording of the noises with my phone by holding in up near the glass roof while driving. (It might be hard to gauge the volume of the noises in the recording, but I can tell you that the loudest “pops” were quite loud. Again, I’d make the same “hail” analogy as earlier.)
Noises from Tesla Model 3 glass roof when cold and icy.m4a

At the end of that drive, I again visually inspected the roof and the gaps between the roof and rear windshield glass panels. I did see a very little bit of ice down in this area between the glass panels, but it didn’t look out of the ordinary and it didn’t look like anything that could explain the noises.

At this point, the car was parked out in the cold (it was maybe ~10F) but it was also in the sun. An hour later when I got back in the car and drove off, the noises were gone.

So… Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Or know what the cause is?

Hi All,

I experienced an annoying and perplexing issue last week when disturbingly-loud "popping" noises started coming from my Model 3's roof while driving after the car was parked in a freezing rain, so I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar or might have an idea of the cause. (An audio recording of the noises is linked below.)

Background:
There was a kinda weird freezing rain one day last week. Or, at least I think it was freezing rain... When I returned to my car in an uncovered parking lot after work, my Model 3 had lots of little globs of ice on it. (I.e., it wasn’t covered in a sheet of ice, but instead had little balls of ice on it, as if giant rain drops had landed on the car and then froze.) Then on the drive home, I started noticing really loud popping noises coming from the roof. It sounded similar to being in a hail storm with very large hail hitting the glass roof. The sounds only occurred while the car was moving, but curiously, they didn’t seem to increase in frequency or intensity when driving over bumps or rougher spots on the road, nor during accelerating/braking hard or taking turns (which I would have expected if the root cause was flexing in the vehicle’s frame). And I didn’t have any cabin heat on, so thermal expansion stuff likely didn’t play a role.

While driving, I looked to see if there were any cracks in the glass roof. There were none. I tried pressing on the glass and then also on the trim between the roof and the rear windshield to see if doing so would stop or muffle the noise, but it had no noticeable effect. When I got home and exited the car, I quickly inspected the areas around the perimeter of the glass, but I didn’t see anything obviously out of the ordinary.

The next morning (after parking overnight in a cold detached a garage) the noises were still there. At this point I took an audio recording of the noises with my phone by holding in up near the glass roof while driving. (It might be hard to gauge the volume of the noises in the recording, but I can tell you that the loudest “pops” were quite loud. Again, I’d make the same “hail” analogy as earlier.)

At the end of that drive, I again visually inspected the roof and the gaps between the roof and rear windshield glass panels. I did see a very little bit of ice down in this area between the glass panels, but it didn’t look out of the ordinary and it didn’t look like anything that could explain the noises.

At this point, the car was parked out in the cold (it was maybe ~10F) but it was also in the sun. An hour later when I got back in the car and drove off, the noises were gone.

Wow, that is crazy. I have noticed something somewhat similar, although not nearly to the extent you have. I was noticing loud popping sounds from the top of the windshield at random. Sounded like a small rock hit the windshield while driving. In fact at first that’s what I thought it was, but as it continued to happen (random and infrequent) I determined it could not be a rock and was something else, so I called Tesla to report it. They asked me to schedule a service appointment which I intend to do soon, although I don’t think they will find anything. I have noticed the noise tends to occur during cold temps, and several times when there is full sun on the cold windshield. This leads me to believe the noise is some kind of thermal expansion as you mentioned.

I don’t know if our two issues are related, but I would definitely recommend you call Tesla to log the issue just in case it becomes something major down the road. Best of luck to you.

Don't know if any of this is related...

A couple of days ago when I was driving on the freeway, I thought I heard a rock hit my windshield. The usual "clack". But then it did something weird. It seemed to bounce a couple of times across the roof, towards the back of the car. Tick, tick, tick (I think it was 3 times), in fairly fast succession. At the speed I was going (70MPH or so), I didn't think it was possible for a rock to do that. I've looked at the windshield and roof but can find no chips or marks. I can't recall if it was raining at the time but the temps here haven't been below 40F or so during the time of day that I was driving.

Hi All,

Background:

Yes, I've experienced it. It is simply ice between the frame and the glass, and as the frame flexes, it makes noise.

Don't know if any of this is related...

A couple of days ago when I was driving on the freeway, I thought I heard a rock hit my windshield. The usual "clack". But then it did something weird. It seemed to bounce a couple of times across the roof, towards the back of the car. Tick, tick, tick (I think it was 3 times), in fairly fast succession. At the speed I was going (70MPH or so), I didn't think it was possible for a rock to do that. I've looked at the windshield and roof but can find no chips or marks.

Both our Model 3's have taken a hard rock hit. That glass must be pretty tough because I've never found a pit or scratch.

I've experienced the same loud noise and thinking that a rock had hit the windshield. I was so upset but only to find no marks. My husband was riding in the passenger seat and heard it one night on the way home (and no other cars around). Temperature was probably in the 40-50's (fairly mild) and when he heard it he immediately said he thought it was the glass was expanding or contracting..(I again thought it was a rock...no damage or marks) I don't think the ice is the problem but i do think he is on to something as far as the temperature differential causing the glass to expand/contract...just not sure if that will cause the glass to crack. :confused:

Hey late post but I’ve been having similar cracking popping click sounds coming from the headliner and pillar of the car.

it happens when the temperature is cold outside so around 3 Celsius or colder. When driving over bumps or uneven road I hear click noises on top coming somewhere from the headliner near the glass roof.

it’s not coming from frozen ice just cold weather and it’s supper annoying. Wondering if you guys found a fix or what the issue was. Let me know

Appreciate it!

I had crazy squeaking, not creaking like in OP's audio file, after freezing rain. The water runs down the channels around the roof glass, and collects in the rubber gasket between the rear glass and trunk lid, where it turns into ice. When you drive, this ice rubs against the glass, and squeaks like crazy. It might creak in other cars or locations.

Once I figured out what it was, all I needed to do was pop the trunk, and just remove the frozen ice in the gasket around the bottom of the rear glass.

I'm wondering if ice in the upper channels of the roof panel might make the creaking noises. I have that rubber gasket that places sell to reduce wind noise, that fills the channels around the roof glass, so water doesn't collect there.