Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud pop, Model 3 died?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hmmm Thank god you were not hurt. count your blessings. I printed out the owners manual and interlined it with a yellow marker, learned about how to charge that 12volt battery. The lumpiness of knowledge of Tesla employees is surprising. sorry to say, it's a bit like our medical care system. You must be your own advocate, and know enough to demand the right treatment.

What if I'm on the freeway next time going 70mph? I can't shake the loss of confidence in my Tesla now..

If someone did find themselves in a similar situation on the freeway and the regen was slowing them down too much, just pop it in neutral and coast.

I totally get the loss of confidence, but a single experience is rarely representative of events within a larger data set. If this was your third or fourth failure, your loss of confidence would definitely be warranted - but a single failure?

In the end, no machine will ever be perfectly reliable. An engine on say an Airbus A320 or Boeing 737 cost in the region of $10 million dollars each. Every part is tested and inspected prior to assembly and they're maintained to the highest standards - yet they still fail occasionally.

You just got unlucky, but I don't think you need to let it shake your confidence unduly.

Reactions: dfndr90 and TomB985
Not really though? Normally the failure mode isn't to lock up the drivetrain on a gas car. And towing is certainly a lot less complicated. And you very often have warning signs (e.g bad shifts, knocking). Failure mode of these things is to very suddenly stop without any warning.

Very true. But it helps to know that I’m sitting in an incredibly safe car. I like the “pop it into neutral” comment from a member above, but I’m afraid most would have very little time to do that and most don’t know how! Lol.
I would definitely feel at risk if I was a sitting duck in the middle an LA freeway especially if I had kids in the car. But in most cases I think you’d be fine.

It’s good to have a plan, along with the manual for towing readily accesible. maybe practice the neutral maneuver, have 10 or 20 road flares ready to go on your lap at all times. Etc

Reactions: mlkmade
Very true. But it helps to know that I’m sitting in an incredibly safe car. I like the “pop it into neutral” comment from a member above, but I’m afraid most would have very little time to do that and most don’t know how! Lol.
I would definitely feel at risk if I was a sitting duck in the middle an LA freeway especially if I had kids in the car. But in most cases I think you’d be fine.

It’s good to have a plan, along with the manual for towing readily accesible. maybe practice the neutral maneuver, have 10 or 20 road flares ready to go on your lap at all times. Etc

Anything that disables drive power will disable regen as well, so I really don’t think you’ll ever need an emergency shift to Neutral.

Interesting thread, I appreciate all the technical discussion.

I completely understand why the OP is concerned about future reliability, so want to bring up the concept of the "bathtub curve". If there is a manufacturing defect in a component, it is most likely to show itself early in the product's life, and as time goes on, the odds of a defect existing decrease. Because if the part were bad from the factory, I would've broken by then. At 7000 miles, your car still relatively young, which increases the odds of a defect showing itself.

There are few high mileage examples floating around, some folks even have 100,000+ miles by now. The ones I've seen have reported virtually nothing in the way of repairs. Their drivetrains and high-voltage systems did not have a manufacturing defect, and the design has held up well. I haven't read of many motor failures at higher miles, which implies the design is pretty robust. And we don't see many early failures for such a high volume car, which suggests their manufacturing is pretty good as well.

Regardless of the failure, you got unlucky. They sold more model threes last year than Chrysler sold minivans, so there are a lot of them out there. And they just aren't dropping like flies. As rare as these failures are, put your experience in context and have confidence in your choice. You have a great car. :)

So radio silence since Friday. I just texted and finally got a response. Now they're saying its the left body controller. I'm sure when I call tomorrow it will be something else. They said they've replaced all the parts and now are just driving it for QC testing. They don't know when they'll be able to give it back to me.. So that's super cool and makes me feel even more confident about my 6 months old $45,000 purchase. Makes me feel realllllllll good.

This is the 6th time my car has been in service since August. Of the 7,000 miles Ive driven, I'm sure service has driven at least a couple hundred of them now. I'm really over this car. Who do I contact about this?

Time to take a road trip in their loaner!

In all seriousness you can probably sell it for a good amount of money and buy a different one if you want. If you are going to seriously consider exiting your 3 ownership I would suggest doing it quickly before the Y comes out in volume and the next economic crisis really takes hold.

Got my car back...Was the Right Body Control Module after all. Here's the invoice for those who are interested:

l1Axpfq.jpg

If you are going to seriously consider exiting your 3 ownership I would suggest doing it quickly before the Y comes out in volume and the next economic crisis really takes hold.

Thanks for the tips..I don't want to exit my ownership, I love the car. I just want the brand new car I paid for and not the one that has a monthly service visit. My last post was made out of frustration and I feel silly about the tone...But yea..I just want to enjoy my new car like everyone else..

A lemon law attorney. :p Seriously you should see if your car qualifies for CA lemon law.

Up till this point every issue has been different and relatively small...Missing clips, no clips at all, paint peeling, black backup camera. This was the first "MAJOR" one...Its just a pain in the butt. I think Lemon Law only comes into play if they have to fix the same thing more than once.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Or 30 days out of service within the warranty period. They probably marked your other issues as "goodwill" not warranty work so I don't think they'd count.

Why would it be goodwill? My car came with so many loose pieces of trim, including sun visors, because the clips were not properly attached or there were no clips at all. Not disagreeing with you, just don't understand.

Why would it be goodwill? My car came with so many loose pieces of trim, including sun visors, because the clips were not properly attached or there were no clips at all. Not disagreeing with you, just don't understand.
To avoid the lemon law and reduce warranty liability on the balance sheet. I admit this is hearsay but I’ve heard for minor cosmetic stuff and rattles they often count it as goodwill instead of warranty. You’d have to check your invoices.
New Tesla In Need Of A Repair? Check If It Was Marked Goodwill

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and mlkmade
I think it is to limit the amount of wiring, and to provide some redundancy. (I think there is a central one as well.)

But those three modules replace many, many modules in a traditional ICE car. (At least that is my understanding.)
That understanding comes from Tesla hype. In reality, this is a somewhat common approach for modern automobile manufacturing, which some fan articles implied was unique to Tesla.

Interesting that unit provides the contactor signal though. Still don't really understand how that would blow the pyro fuse.