Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud poping sound inside Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning on the way to work, I decided to conect my iphone to the iphone jack provided by Model S (in the small compartment between front seats). As I was wiggling the phone to connect it, I suddenly heard a rather loud poping nosie, similar to what you expect if you short circuit an electrical outlet!

I stopped the car and examined the phone contacts, car features (in case I poped a fuse) or looking for any sign of a problem. Nothing! All functions work fine (on the car and on the phone).

Has anyone experienced a similar thing? Not sure what else to check? There is no mark of electrical damage or physical marks on the phone/jack contacts. But the noise was real!

Is there any logging capability to look for history of events (similar to Models S enery usage chart) to see if any unsual event was recorded? I haven't been able to get VisibleTesla app working, just in case it could have exposed any internal logs from the car.

Another person had this sort of issue in a Lexus when I used to moderate those forums. Issue ended up being the USB cable... they had purchased a cheap Chinese knockoff that caused all sort of strange havoc, and when replaced with the real thing from Apple, no more problem. IMHO though, the same issue could occur with any cable if it's become internally shorted, perhaps by bending the wire too much against either end where the connector is.

Tesla has the ability to look at the MS log. As to if what you encountered will show up there, IDK.

Good luck.