Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud popping sound coming from battery pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When charging sometimes I hear a loud popping sound. Today I’m on a longer trip and I heard many pops. Like a rubber mallet being struck against the undercarriage.
Of course my imagination went right to batteries exploding.... highly doubt that as I’d imaging the computer would surely scream at me....
anyone experience this?

I heard that Tesla is replacing the "Battery Breathers" under warranty. Has anyone had this done?

I have a May 2019 SR+ that makes this pop when supercharging.
I had mine replaced about two months ago. I mentioned the bulletin number when I made the appointment and they told me there are two parts that they could replace to fix the popping sounds. They swapped out one part on mine and told me to give it a few weeks for the new breathers to settle in. I have noticed fewer pops since then and they are a bit quieter, but it still pops. So it doesn't eliminate them entirely.

I had mine replaced about two months ago. I mentioned the bulletin number when I made the appointment and they told me there are two parts that they could replace to fix the popping sounds. They swapped out one part on mine and told me to give it a few weeks for the new breathers to settle in. I have noticed fewer pops since then and they are a bit quieter, but it still pops. So it doesn't eliminate them entirely.
+1

My first (December 2018) Model 3 used to make those clunk sounds while supercharging way more often than my newer (July 2019) one. I still hear the sound, but it's not nearly as loud or as often as it used to be.