Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud popping sound coming from battery pack

RayCanuck

May 29, 2019
Penticton
When charging sometimes I hear a loud popping sound. Today I’m on a longer trip and I heard many pops. Like a rubber mallet being struck against the undercarriage.
Of course my imagination went right to batteries exploding.... highly doubt that as I’d imaging the computer would surely scream at me....
anyone experience this?

Trips

"Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"
Sep 22, 2015
Omaha, NE
Very normal to happen. If you disconnect the main battery under the rear seat it makes that pop. The first time I did that I thought I did something terribly wrong.

Rottenapplr

Apr 6, 2019
LOS ANGELES
This topics belongs to the same class as, “I’m losing range” threads. There’s one every week!
It’s normal. Temp changes. Charge levels. I usually hear this on road trips where I’m charging high usually I don’t hear it during my daily use.

Reactions: coconutboy84

Brady M

May 1, 2019
Arizona
I heard that Tesla is replacing the "Battery Breathers" under warranty. Has anyone had this done?

I have a May 2019 SR+ that makes this pop when supercharging.

qdeathstar

Completely Serious
May 17, 2019
VB
Happens to me, thought it was normal.. there was another thread about this... I told the op it was normal bug then three people said it wasn’t normal. Who knows...

Henrykaed

Nov 26, 2019
Fresno
I heard that Tesla is replacing the "Battery Breathers" under warranty. Has anyone had this done?

I have a May 2019 SR+ that makes this pop when supercharging.
I had mine replaced about two months ago. I mentioned the bulletin number when I made the appointment and they told me there are two parts that they could replace to fix the popping sounds. They swapped out one part on mine and told me to give it a few weeks for the new breathers to settle in. I have noticed fewer pops since then and they are a bit quieter, but it still pops. So it doesn't eliminate them entirely.

Timmay

Feb 5, 2019
Colorado Springs
I had mine replaced about two months ago. I mentioned the bulletin number when I made the appointment and they told me there are two parts that they could replace to fix the popping sounds. They swapped out one part on mine and told me to give it a few weeks for the new breathers to settle in. I have noticed fewer pops since then and they are a bit quieter, but it still pops. So it doesn't eliminate them entirely.
+1

Niroc

Apr 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Wow! Glad that I read this thread. I hear pops too. At first I thought it was rocks hitting under the wheel well. Then, I heard it while using a Super Charger. It doesn’t seem to occur on short trips to work or errands

Sklith

Jul 23, 2019
GA
My first (December 2018) Model 3 used to make those clunk sounds while supercharging way more often than my newer (July 2019) one. I still hear the sound, but it's not nearly as loud or as often as it used to be.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC