Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud popping sound thru speakers when S wakes up after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my 2013 85D S in for the MCU2 upgrade last week. Had some problems- some that seem common- First theater mode was empty and voice command function had "Connection error". Tried soft/mid resets, the change language fix people have posted here, but it was finally a factory reset that fixed both of those problems.

The only remaining problem is a loud popping/sparking sound that plays thru the speakers on wake up! I'm guessing it's somehow related to the engagement of the HV battery? Could something not be connected or insulated correctly? Taking it in to a SC Monday morning but it's hit or miss with them so hoping someone on here might have a clue what could be causing this.

Mine does this because I have the LightHarmonic aftermarket Audio Amp... installed with the UHFS media system. here is more detail on the UHFS system... I believe Light Harmonic fixed the popping sound on later amps with a soft start up circuit. I have the original amp..

I replaced the subwoofer amp, subwoofer and speakers... I went with this sub (8 inch dual 2 ohm coils), it was drop in with minor changes to screw mounting locations

The stock Tesla UHFS AMP specs: •five amplifier channels delivering 320W (2x80W for the 20cm woofers in the front doors, 1x80W for the 25 litre subwoofer in the boot and 2x40W for the surround 16cm speakers in the back).

The new Light Harmonic AMP Specs:
1665856244023.png

Last edited:
I have the same issue since the MCU2 upgrade. It happens when someone opens a door or when I do something through the app like activate Homelink.

I mentioned it to the service team and they said they'd need to see the car in-person to investigate. I haven't done that yet because of the inconvenience.

Got the "replace 12v battery" soon alert last night. So not sure what's causing what- is a low 12v causing the sound or did they connect incorrectly or do some other faulty wiring when upgrading the MCU that caused my 12v to drain? Hope they can figure it out at the SC today. Super inconvenient with no Uber credit or rental car...

After a bunch of back and forth (where they said they fixed the sound but actually had not) and getting another service advisor to sit in my car so I could show him the popping sound thru the speakers on wake up, they discussed with engineering and decided all S's (and X's) with the infotainment upgrade will make this sound. "Just a completely different computer connecting to the original sound system". To me that means it's not 100% compatible but they assured me it doesn't harm the car or speakers...

Ya! Mine also makes the sound when a passenger door is opened. I have a 2013. What year is yours? Wondering if it's only something with the oldest models...let me know if you or your service center figures it out.

My Dec 2015 also pops the speakers on wake up.
(MCU2 installed Nov 2022)
I’ve brought it to, and demonstrated for, the service center. They said there will be a software update to correct it.
I’ve also sent them a recording of it.
They’ve recently told me “this isn’t a high priority for a fix”
I believe over time this will damage the speakers.

Last edited:
My Dec-2016 S with the MCU2 upgrade never had the popping issue. Perhaps it's an issue with the pre-refresh (before ~March 2016) S, as quite a bit changed when they went to AP2. Seems all those who commented so far have pre-AP2 cars.

Hi guys,
I got the same problem with my 2015 (build 11.2015) MS 85 (AP1, Standard Audio, Standard interieur) since the upgrade, which I made last Wednesday, March 22. Current Software Version: 2023.2.12.
I just put an appointment with Service Center, see what they'll say.
Does anyone of you get a solution so far?

Update to this story: Service Center didn't find anything wrong after check. They told me it would a Software issue and will stay on focus.
Now I got the update 2023.6.11 (2 days ago) and same behaviour.
But now the music plays without any stuck, which previously happend very often.
Did any of you get any news reg. this loud popping?

Both of my Model S's (a 2013 and 2014) have had the MCU2 upgrade, and I experience this issue on one of them. Not really a problem, but certainly noticeable.
Hi Rifleman,
In my case the certain loudspeaker (on the rear left door) produces this popping.
This loudspeaker is not working. All others do.
Could you please check, if you have the same situation?