Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud snapping or popping noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I heard a loud sharp sound, like a large stone hitting the windshield, I believe while gently accelerating onto a highway, and my immediate thought was, CRAP!, another stone chip (I just had one repaired a few days ago.) The sound came from the passenger, above the glovebox.

I found no mark on the windshield (just detailed clean windshield) and chose to ignore it.

Any input from others????

Sounds like the battery case popping with pressure and temperature changes. This issue has been discussed at length in the Model 3 section and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the same thing happens on the Y, given the similarity between the two vehicles.

Long story short, while it’s startling, it does not affect performance and is not dangerous or cause for concern. Tesla has attempted to correct the problem on Model 3 with new pressure relief vents, to no avail. You’ll notice more popping in cold weather than in warm weather. You may or may not feel it in the floor. You’ll eventually become accustomed to it.

Or maybe your sound is something completely different. The battery case sound is definitely more or a pop or a bang from below the floor; not a snap like a rock hitting the window.

Last edited:
Reactions: Araman0
Interesting. I heard a loud sharp sound, like a large stone hitting the windshield, I believe while gently accelerating onto a highway, and my immediate thought was, CRAP!, another stone chip (I just had one repaired a few days ago.) The sound came from the passenger, above the glovebox.

I found no mark on the windshield (just detailed clean windshield) and chose to ignore it.

It is likely "thermal expansion" of the windshield and/or compression from an uneven road. Normal if its not too often. I once cracked a (non-Tesla) windshield by running the heat on max, IIRC.

There are a few posts on the net about "windshield alignment" being off on various cars, not sure if yours is that extreme.

winshield pop sound at DuckDuckGo

Recently I also hear some sound coming from front passenger side. Sounds like windshield cracking or windshield colliding with the window frame but can't find proof.

Sounds like the battery case popping with pressure and temperature changes. This issue has been discussed at length in the Model 3 section and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the same thing happens on the Y, given the similarity between the two vehicles.

Long story short, while it’s startling, it does not affect performance and is not dangerous or cause for concern. Tesla has attempted to correct the problem on Model 3 with new pressure relief vents, to no avail. You’ll notice more popping in cold weather than in warm weather. You may or may not feel it in the floor. You’ll eventually become accustomed to it.

Or maybe your sound is something completely different. The battery case sound is definitely more or a pop or a bang from below the floor; not a snap like a rock hitting the window.

Thank you Earl. My wife and I have come from Miami out west to Oregon. We had the loud popping issue coming out of Bryce Canyon National Park. It really got our attention. We pulled over thinking we hit something. We also thought that a soda can may have exploded in the cooler.
In any case thank you for sharing the facts. I guess we found our first design flaw.
Thank you again, John

Reactions: Big Earl
I just started hearing this in My 2021 Model Y as well. A random BOOM every few minutes when sitting parked. It is a very low frequency impulse that sounds link an explosion somewhere nearby shaking the ground. Kind of like one kick from a nearby subwoofer. It's a bit startling when trying to nap.
Kind of wrecks camp mode. Hope it goes away again. Any updates?

This happened to me about 3 times total, and the third time today. I’ve got a believe that it’s something to do with the glass expanding or contracting based on temperatures or something else

I heard this today. It sounded like a rock or acorn hitting the car, but no damage thank god. It has happened 3 times in 4k miles, so not frequent but still startling.

Wow, I've been searching for an answer to this noise for months, and your post nailed it! I have the exact same noise. 2018 Model 3. Especially when it's cold and when driving on a slight incline, I'll feel a 'pop' on the floor. I've been terrified that it's slowly shredding shrapnel into my battery, and have taken it to the service center 3 times now but they seem clueless.

Do you have any information as to why this is not dangerous, and what it effects (evidence supporting your claims)?

Wow, I've been searching for an answer to this noise for months, and your post nailed it! I have the exact same noise. 2018 Model 3. Especially when it's cold and when driving on a slight incline, I'll feel a 'pop' on the floor. I've been terrified that it's slowly shredding shrapnel into my battery, and have taken it to the service center 3 times now but they seem clueless.

Do you have any information as to why this is not dangerous, and what it effects (evidence supporting your claims)?

The lid of the battery is like the top of a sardine can. It expands and contracts with temperature and pressure changes. The term for this popping phenomenon is oil canning. oil-canning - Wiktionary

It’s just the outer sheet metal of the battery case deforming under pressure changes. It has nothing to do with and does not affect on the cells, wiring or anything else inside of the pack. It’s completely benign.

Temperature and pressure changes occur when the battery is charged (supercharging), discharged (climbing a hill) or with large elevation changes. Sometimes the metal will pop on driveway transitions.

have taken it to the service center 3 times now but they seem clueless.
The oil canning pop or bang noise was discovered shortly after the Model 3 came out. There has been an official service bulletin to fix it for YEARS now! It's frustrating that the service center you went to wouldn't recognize this and apply the fix. The fix is related to changing what are called the "breather valves", which vent air pressure between the two sides of the metal sheet.

The oil canning pop or bang noise was discovered shortly after the Model 3 came out. There has been an official service bulletin to fix it for YEARS now! It's frustrating that the service center you went to wouldn't recognize this and apply the fix. The fix is related to changing what are called the "breather valves", which vent air pressure between the two sides of the metal sheet.

Unfortunately, there have been numerous reports of the new breather valves not fixing the problem. I haven’t bothered, as I barely notice the sound anymore.

I have the same clunk/pop when pulling into and pulling out of my driveway. I started a thread for this. Seems very common. The “fix” is dropping the HV battery and adding foam. I’m holding off on a official fix, if there ever will be.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/thunk-clunk-pop-“scrape”.247494/