Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud sound on NEW Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Model X 90D on Thursday. Everything has been great. Tonight in the garage as the car was charging I was having issue connecting to the car on my app. I was just hoping to get the notification for the 8.0 update I have not received yet. I went out the the garage to check the car and try to figure out why it was not connecting. As I opened to door and sat in the car the car got very loud. Almost like it was the AC just running but way way louder. I could barely talk over it in the video. I even closed the doors and shut the car off and it took around 90 seconds or longer for the sound to slowly go away.

Is this normal? I was loud enough to where I was scared to stand in front of the car as it almost sounded like a car getting ready to take off.

Here is a quick video as it did it a second time right after as well.

Any help would be great. Just doesn't sound normal at all to me.

Is the car currently charging or just plugged in? If so at what rate? How warm is it in the garage?

There are a few X's that needed their refrigerant lines repaired, which were _very_ loud. I would be surprised if a recent build date X had this problem though.

I have the hpwc and the 72A charger enabled. If it's above 90 in the garage and the battery is low when I plug it in, the fan kicks up pretty damn high. I've been leaving the garage door up while charging until the weather cools off for that reason.

Last guess would be a frozen computer. You can reset the displays and that may help if that's the case.

If it's none of those I'd call Tesla.

How hot was it in your garage when you were charging. I see you have a HPWC in your garage charging the car. The car can turn on the fan to actively cool the battery if it's being charged at a high rate in a high temperature environment or the battery was already hot from driving.

I've only experienced it at SuperChargers as I have a regular 40a EVSE at home but I've had my fans running strong while charging on hot days. The batteries warm up significantly when they're being charged quickly.

...Just doesn't sound normal at all to me.

As every one stated, it's probably related to charging.

Even when your car is "entirely shut off," your battery pack is still protected by its own thermoregulation at all time.

That's most likely the sound to cool off your battery pack.

If you don't like its loud sound in a confined space, you might want to charge your car in an open space.

Yes! It can be real loud! And that's totally normal!