Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud squealing noise when engaging Drive or Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone:
My 2016 MS 90D (50,000 miles) has begun to emit a VERY loud high pitched squealing noise lasting less than a second, every time that I shift into Drive or Park. It's coming from the rear of the car. It sounds like an air wrench. Otherwise the car drives fine and there is no noise when it is in motion. Anyone know what this is? Is there a simple fix or do I need to bring it in for service? My nearest service center is 60 miles away and a 3 week wait for an appointment.

Sounds like the park brake application to me. Shouldn't be dangerous to drive in terms of stopping but I wouldn't take to long to address as it could create issues keeping it stopped (read: parked). Service Center will be your best bet on this one. Schedule via the app & they'll probably want you to bring it in as very little involving this aspect can be done by a mobile tech.

at least you're super close to a service center so that's a plus.
It most definitely sounds like you parking brake is having issues. it could just be dirty or something, or it could be broken. But its only the parking brake so its good to drive but id suggest carrying around a chock block to make sure it stays parked till you figure out what the issue is.

Now if you're like me and the DIY kinda person i can make a few suggestions before you piss away $200 on tesla to tell you its good to go.

take off the rear tire and inspect the parking brake assembly and see if it looks good, if its visually broken then easy peasy fix what's broken
Spray some brake cleaner in there and get everything all cleaned out and good, put the tire back on and move from P to D a few times and see if its still making noise.
Last pull off the tire and have a friend move the car from P to D and back while you have your ear to the parking brake area an see if you can figure out exactly where its coming from. Obvioulsy this has a slight safety risk involved so ensure your friend keeps their foot on the brake pedal the whole time and firmly as well. If you have a stethoscope that works best just take off the heart side piece and leave the tube and move it around the area to get very specific location of sounds. if you don't have one I've used an old piece of vacuum tubing or random hose, stick and ear plug in one ear and the hose up to the other ear and it works the same method and you can get very specific locations of sounds to better solve a problem.

The assembly isn't meant to be pulled apart any further than just changing the pads but IMO its prob just dirty with some road crap in there that just needs to be cleaned out.

Thanks for your replies everyone. While waiting for service, eventually I go this warning on the dash: "Parking brake not applied. Vehicle may free roll." Both rear parking brake assemblies were replaced by the dealer. They stated that the electronics in both were arcing and not working properly. Both parts were replaced: LH(1021252-00-F) and RH(1021250-00-F), parts $500 each and labor $351 for a total of $1351, out of warranty. Ouch. This is not the sort of thing that should fail at only 50K miles.

Mine has been making this screeching sound as well. I have a mobile service appointment later this week for another issue, and plan to have the technician look at this as well. My car just turned three last Thursday.....go figure..... :-(

Keith

That sucks. FWIW, replacement parking brake calipers are about $100/ea on ebay. I can't really see how labor would be $351 (90 minutes?) for a shop to do this. Brakes are generally pretty darn simple.

shop time is probably looking at it i ndependently. 90 minutes is pretty fair "per side" when you're looking at racking the car, removing the wheel, breaking free the bolts that have probably never been touched, etc.

When you're doing both and have some overlap in time, it just buys the technician his tea time :)