Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

First thread here!

I picked my M3 a few weeks ago and love it!

However, I have noticed that the suspension is pretty loud. I understand some have said that the suspension is hard but I am talking loud.

I would say too loud. Going over bumps or manhole covers for example is really loud.

If I heard that in my 2013 Escape for example, I would say something is wrong.

So, is this common issue?

Vin

Ok, based on recent discussions about harsh suspension ride, I just lowered my tire PSI to 39. Elon says lower 10%, from 44 to 39 to improve ride comfort. On the short drive so far, it has made a big difference. Much quieter. I will let you know after my drive home tonight, around 45 kms (27 miles), regarding the sound and the engery consumption. My M3 has been running 147wh/km consistently.

Even if I drop 5%, that will only be $15 annual cost to me at current Ontario Hydro rates, so I am good with that.

Vin

Ok, so the ride home was much better. I still think the suspension shouldn't sound so loud on a new vehicle, but its better. Noticeably quieter.

My consumption went up to 158 Wh/km, so a 6.5% loss.

For the quieter ride, its a no brainer for me, I am keeping it this way for now.

Good luck,

Vin

Ok, based on recent discussions about harsh suspension ride, I just lowered my tire PSI to 39. Elon says lower 10%, from 44 to 39 to improve ride comfort. On the short drive so far, it has made a big difference. Much quieter. I will let you know after my drive home tonight, around 45 kms (27 miles), regarding the sound and the engery consumption. My M3 has been running 147wh/km consistently.

Even if I drop 5%, that will only be $15 annual cost to me at current Ontario Hydro rates, so I am good with that.

Vin

Similar findings here. I took delivery and it had 47psi. I took it down to 42psi per Elon’s tweet, and then discovered that the door sticker says 42psi. I haven’t tried lowering it further yet, but 42 is much quieter than 47psi.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
This is really helpful info; thank you both (above) for the detail. Mine was delivered 3/28 at 44psi and amazingly all tires remain at 44psi three months later. But the road noise (as I've been describing it, but OP's description is much better...it's really about the noise level when the road has imperfections) has been the sole material negative about my car. I'll try the Elon advice of taking the tires to 39; good to know that it has made a big improvement for OP. Can always crank them back up to 44 (or 47!!) for road trips on good pavement, and crank up the tunes.