Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud "thump" while charging and other times

ravejads.tmc

Jun 26, 2016
New Hampshire
Has anyone heard this noise while supercharging? Here is a short audio clip of the sound taken @ about 180 of range (47kW charge rate) during a recent charging session: sound while charging tesla model 3 2019-02-07.wav

This happens multiple times during supercharging. It's clearly coming from the battery pack and tends to move around. Meaning that it will happen under the driver then in the rear of the car and then the front passenger area and so on.

This also happens nearly every time I drive, especially at highway speeds. In those cases I don't hear it as much as feel it through my floor below my feet. It's roughly straight back from the brake pedal just past where the "hump" is in the driver's foot well.

I've got a service appt setup in a couple of weeks but want to find out if anyone else it experiencing this.

John

Eriamjh1138

May 31, 2017
Michigan
Could it be a thermal expansion thump from not-so-evenly welded steel panels in the pack?

It’s like denting the side of a pop can, then popping it out without damage.

Eriamjh1138

May 31, 2017
Michigan
Relays or contactors make a very specific sound, but I can’t imagine them switching while driving, which is something OP mentions. Although those could be relayed to AC or HVAC heat (pumps, heaters, etc.).

There are contactors in the rear seat area below the cushion which will definitely engage at the start and end of charging. disengage when charging.

My guess: it’s all normal stuff you just never noticed. Relax and enjoy the car and don’t fret about every little sound. If the cars gonna break, it’s under warranty.

Genedr

Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Supercharging in cold weather through VA on way to CA. Metallic popping sound fairly frequent while SC. Other threads suggest metal expansion between floor and battery pack. All functions normally so far, so not overly concerned. Will inquire at Service Center at some point. .

Icenks

Dec 15, 2019
Canada
This is what they told me

Attachments

• 3D1F0EF8-291C-4121-8015-3C02064DAAFD.jpeg
    3D1F0EF8-291C-4121-8015-3C02064DAAFD.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 39

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
Ours has done it since day one. It's an atmospheric pressure relief valve opening and then the upper battery case sheet metal popping back flat. That's why you can feel it in the floor. We have heard it when driving into higher elevations and when Supercharging in colder weather.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC