TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Loud "thunk" coming from driver side somewhere?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dsnows, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dsnows

dsnows Member

On my way to work today, I slowed at a stop sign and heard, maybe even felt, a "thunk" like something had hit my car. Sounded or felt like a ball or bird or something. Not like a rock. I got out and checked the side of the car, and saw nothing. A mile or so later, stopped at a red light in traffic and same thing. Seemed like it was coming from the driver side door. I thought maybe the doorhandles presenting, but doubt they would be that loud. Any ideas? it was enough to startle me. I really thought something had hit the car.

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Loose brake pad?
    Bowling ball in the frunk?

3. Krypto Kat

Krypto Kat Member

I've had similar experiences in Gas cars, it is usually the sound and feel of clunky multi speed automatic transmissions getting foiled by driver inputs.

In the Tesla it maybe suspension / control arm issues?

4. dsnows

dsnows Member

Not a bowler. I do have some golf balls in my frunk. I don't think that was it though.

5. dsnows

dsnows Member

Don't know what a loose brake pad would sound or feel like. I only have a little over 1000 miles on the car. Both times, it was soon after I came to a stop.

6. richrootes

richrootes Member

Is your L2 adaptor thudding about in your glovebox?

7. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

So I'm getting a clunk in my drivetrain. You can feel it in the chassis.

The service center tells me its an axle bearing assembly issue (but not necessarily the bearing itself).

What's disconcerting is that it happened IMMEDIATELY upon receipt of my car after yet another drive unit replacement. It went from no issue to significant literally overnight with repair in that region ...

8. dsnows

dsnows Member

Does your "clunk" seem like what I'm describing? I've had the car for 6 weeks and today was the first time I heard this. I only drove it about 2 miles to work and it happened twice. Several other stops with no "thunk". Does yours happen regularly?

9. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

That happened to me but I realized it was my door handle not retracting properly and finally slamming in. Could it be the same for you?

10. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I'd first make sure you don't have any loose items in the car.
    If you still hear the thunk, is it from the front or back? By the tires?

11. dsnows

dsnows Member

Maybe. That was my first thought. But happened twice within a mile or so. We think that once it slammed in it wouldn't do it again.

12. dsnows

dsnows Member

I'll check for loose items, although I don't think that is it. And, it seems to come from the drivers side either front or rear door. But not sure I have it well localized.

13. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

True - that would be very weird.

14. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Is the suspension raised? I had some clunks come from the front whenever I accelerated hard and the suspension was raised above normal. Dropped it down, and it went away. That said, it was noted that it could be a control arm. Never had it investigated though.

15. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#15 SMAlset, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Were you decelerating kind of quickly at the stop sign/light? If we go with the something shifting, could it be that heavy iron towing eye maybe stored under your seat or in the trunk area? I know the newer model S has a towing eye that is bigger than the previous version and doesn't fit in the UMC bag so wondering if maybe yours got put under your seat or is "floating" around in the trunk and was sliding around. It's pretty heavy and I've read about people commenting they could hear it hitting around in their trunks when not secured in there.

Would the control arm give off an alert if something was wrong with it?

16. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

For me, it was the plastic cover of my seat-belt that hit against my seat. The culprit was located on the lower left side of my seat between the seat and the b-pillar near the floor. I covered it with felt as suggested by the TMC posting and now the sound is gone!

17. radio

radio Member

I hear that sound sometimes when suddenly Auto braking engages for a second due to wrong AP inputs (overhead signs, in tunnels, adjacent much slower cars). I relate that to the braking system or brake pads and don't worry at all as I relate this to the very quiet car environment.

18. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

Definitely rule out anything you may be carrying in the car. A friend of mine took his in to Service for a clunking sound nearly every time he accelerated. They found the problem in his frunk. His basketball.

• Funny x 2
  19. GJ79

GJ79 Member

Is it you AC compressor kicking in? Mine does that too and I can hear it loud and clear inside the car but when trying to hear it from the outside it's just a very quiet click.

• Like x 1
  20. Acho

Acho Member

I have clunk noice from the rear. I have appointment for service on thursday. Will let you know what was the issue.