Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud "thunk" coming from driver side somewhere?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way to work today, I slowed at a stop sign and heard, maybe even felt, a "thunk" like something had hit my car. Sounded or felt like a ball or bird or something. Not like a rock. I got out and checked the side of the car, and saw nothing. A mile or so later, stopped at a red light in traffic and same thing. Seemed like it was coming from the driver side door. I thought maybe the doorhandles presenting, but doubt they would be that loud. Any ideas? it was enough to startle me. I really thought something had hit the car.

On my way to work today, I slowed at a stop sign and heard, maybe even felt, a "thunk" like something had hit my car. Sounded or felt like a ball or bird or something. Not like a rock. I got out and checked the side of the car, and saw nothing. A mile or so later, stopped at a red light in traffic and same thing. Seemed like it was coming from the driver side door. I thought maybe the doorhandles presenting, but doubt they would be that loud. Any ideas? it was enough to startle me. I really thought something had hit the car.
Loose brake pad?
Bowling ball in the frunk?

I've had similar experiences in Gas cars, it is usually the sound and feel of clunky multi speed automatic transmissions getting foiled by driver inputs.

In the Tesla it maybe suspension / control arm issues?

So I'm getting a clunk in my drivetrain. You can feel it in the chassis.

The service center tells me its an axle bearing assembly issue (but not necessarily the bearing itself).

What's disconcerting is that it happened IMMEDIATELY upon receipt of my car after yet another drive unit replacement. It went from no issue to significant literally overnight with repair in that region ...

So I'm getting a clunk in my drivetrain. You can feel it in the chassis.

The service center tells me its an axle bearing assembly issue (but not necessarily the bearing itself).

What's disconcerting is that it happened IMMEDIATELY upon receipt of my car after yet another drive unit replacement. It went from no issue to significant literally overnight with repair in that region ...

Does your "clunk" seem like what I'm describing? I've had the car for 6 weeks and today was the first time I heard this. I only drove it about 2 miles to work and it happened twice. Several other stops with no "thunk". Does yours happen regularly?

Were you decelerating kind of quickly at the stop sign/light? If we go with the something shifting, could it be that heavy iron towing eye maybe stored under your seat or in the trunk area? I know the newer model S has a towing eye that is bigger than the previous version and doesn't fit in the UMC bag so wondering if maybe yours got put under your seat or is "floating" around in the trunk and was sliding around. It's pretty heavy and I've read about people commenting they could hear it hitting around in their trunks when not secured in there.

Would the control arm give off an alert if something was wrong with it?

Last edited:
For me, it was the plastic cover of my seat-belt that hit against my seat. The culprit was located on the lower left side of my seat between the seat and the b-pillar near the floor. I covered it with felt as suggested by the TMC posting and now the sound is gone!

I hear that sound sometimes when suddenly Auto braking engages for a second due to wrong AP inputs (overhead signs, in tunnels, adjacent much slower cars). I relate that to the braking system or brake pads and don't worry at all as I relate this to the very quiet car environment.