Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud "thunk" coming from driver side somewhere?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it you AC compressor kicking in? Mine does that too and I can hear it loud and clear inside the car but when trying to hear it from the outside it's just a very quiet click.
^^THIS^^

Congratulations on your new car! :D
There will be a lot of new sounds, feelings, experiences you'll encounter for the first time with this car that you may not have in the past with others. One of those is the HVAC compressor. You'll never notice it at speed, only when stopped or almost stopped will you be able to hear and feel it. It's definitely startling when it happens, and it doesn't happen all the time. There are many of us here who have confirmed it. There have been times where I have sat in the car with it turned on for 30 minutes or more. I'll notice it happen a couple times, then turn off the climate control, and it stops. Turn the climate control back on, and it randomly starts happening again.

I got my car back from SC. They replaced both rear halfshafts and Corresponding parts of the assembly and the clunk is gone.

This is copy/paste from the invoice:

Concern: Customer states: Creaking / clunking from rear when accelerating. Please check and advise.

Corrections: Perform Validation Test Drive
Confirmed customers concern for creaking noise when accelerating.

Corrections: Rear Axle / Hub Bearing Assy - 2

-Replaced Rear LH and Rear RH axle assembly. -Replaced Rear LH and Rear RH hub. -Adjusted suspension components to torque specifications.
-Vehicle operates as designed after test drive.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

REAR HALFSHAFT 36 MM, PERFORMANCE 2 (1007719-01-B)

RR SUSP HUB AND BEARING ASSY 2 PERFORMANCE (1027170-00-A)

WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2

NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- 2 A)

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Both ways but when stopping the noice was not always as loud as when taking off. On the testdrive the tech just pumped the acceleration pedal all the way and it was obvious. I never did that test. This was the reason to notice the noice on acceleration only