Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud whistle during hot ambient temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to assume this is not normal? My car makes this high pitched whistling noise both inside the garage and outside when its hot inside/outside.

Actually, I think that is normal. Mine doesn't really whistle, but it is quite loud if it's hot outside and/or if I've run it hard and the fans are running to cool the battery. But it usually doesn't last a long time - maybe like 10-15 minutes typically. Once the battery is cooled down, the fans will slow down and it will quiet down.

By coincidence I took a short video of this this past weekend. It won't let me attach the MOV file type here, but if you want to hear mine I can upload it to YT and link it.

There's an episode of "Mike Tyson Mysteries" where Mike is hired to find out why a woman's car is making that exact same high-pitched whistling noise. Mike rips off the dashboard with his bare hands and discovers that a gnome is trapped behind it. He's been screaming for help the whole time.

What was my point again? I forgot. But that whistle sure sounds annoying, and seems like something you should ask the service center about. I seem to recall this has been discussed before.

• Funny
Reactions: SNMD and croman
I am blown away by the fact your cars run the fans that loud when you are not driving! Even in Texas August summer heat my car never runs the fans more than low for longer than 10 minutes.
I am in WA and the heat here is no where near Texas hot. This is my first summer with the model S, so I was surprised/worried a tad bit when I heard these fan. Then I came across this thread. Maybe model year/battery specs also have something to do with the degree of noise.

I am in WA and the heat here is no where near Texas hot. This is my first summer with the model S, so I was surprised/worried a tad bit when I heard these fan. Then I came across this thread. Maybe model year/battery specs also have something to do with the degree of noise.

I would normally take this as a possibility, however we have the smallest battery pack from the same year. My car definitely runs fans while supercharging, however even when charging at 80 amps at home the ambient temps must be above 80 degrees.