Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud wind noise coming from roof on freeway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to balance it against weight and mileage
This is true, the EVs I've driven that are quieter weigh like 700-1000 lbs more than a dual motor Model 3. The Model's light weight - for a long range EV - is absolutely a feature to me.

That doesn't excuse excess wind noise from inconsistent assembly though. Anyone who has especially loud wind noise from where the windshield meets the roof, that's an issue with your car, not all Model 3 are like that (at least not all 2021+) and Tesla ought to fix yours if it is.

Here is a picture in open sky. Looks better than a Rolls Royce with rubber windshield gaskets 🤣
I was just joking but my M3 windshield does look better than a RollsRoyce. Check it out.
61EEAF21-6006-4DD2-A424-151D4F86F773.jpeg
5E95FA7E-B21D-459C-9732-B0C18D583DDB.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
This is true, the EVs I've driven that are quieter weigh like 700-1000 lbs more than a dual motor Model 3. The Model's light weight - for a long range EV - is absolutely a feature to me.

That doesn't excuse excess wind noise from inconsistent assembly though. Anyone who has especially loud wind noise from where the windshield meets the roof, that's an issue with your car, not all Model 3 are like that (at least not all 2021+) and Tesla ought to fix yours if it is.
The inconsistent assembly is probably due to the old style and parking lot fremont factory. The Giga factories should have it all smoothed out.

Anyway the inconsistency is easily solvable like I did. See my post above on the black vinyl wrap 👆

NVH isn't "fixed", it's "improved". Tesla has done a little bit of work on the NVH, but it's not nearly good enough for the price category.

The fact that similarly priced ICE vehicles with large engines are so much quieter is something Tesla should work on.

Tesla makes a lot of design choices to offset battery weight that seem weird coming from ICE vehicles. Shaving weight in ways that hurts noise isolation isn't crazy, since at low speeds there isn't much noise to isolate. Only highway noise is compromised. As a result Tesla EVs tend to come in much lighter than competing EVs

Reactions: enemji
Tesla makes a lot of design choices to offset battery weight that seem weird coming from ICE vehicles. Shaving weight in ways that hurts noise isolation isn't crazy, since at low speeds there isn't much noise to isolate. Only highway noise is compromised. As a result Tesla EVs tend to come in much lighter than competing EVs
Yup! If you want better sound insulation take a look at how much more Audi and BMW EVs weigh vs comparable Tesla. And the Tesla will have more range.

Also I would just add I do still think Tesla should improve the wind noise situation. With any luck the structural packs will free up some mass budget to do better.
Windshield+Roof wind noise or Window wind noise?

I ask for the former wind noise is an easy fix with a vinyl wrap, which I have done and tested all the way to 90mph

See, that's unfortunate. Luxury buyers don't often think of fuel range when buying a vehicle. Plus, I don't know that increasing the seal integrity and limiting NVH should add that much weight to the car.

See, that's unfortunate. Luxury buyers don't often think of fuel range when buying a vehicle. Plus, I don't know that increasing the seal integrity and limiting NVH should add that much weight to the car.
The car style has been inspired from the Porsche 996. It’s 0-60 time is comparable to the Porsche 911. The Tesla M3 costs 1/3 that of the Porsche.

Yet …. The Porsche owners have similar complaints regarding wind noise and other fit and finish aspects. If you expected the Tesla to be a Luxury first car, you should be first in line to buy the Lucid Air.

In the meantime enjoy these posts

I don't know if the Model 3 is a luxury car or not. They sell them as fast as they can make them though. So somebody is buying them. Personally I prefer lightness to luxury. However they do need to work on the QC of how well these windows seal, either way!

And yeah, there are about 100 little details on the model 3 that are weird and don't save much weight. Like the paper thin aluminum hood. But 100 times a little is a bit.

I am doubting this opinion here. Why? I actually went up to my 2022M3 and the frameless window actually roll up into a deep groove.
Also I am in Dallas TX which is a flat region where crosswinds are in season blowing 15-20mph while doing the typical 80mph. I have not had my windows lose the sealing in this situation.
What opinion? the window pulled away and was crazy loud on a windy day doing 75 on the highway. You are doing the most annoying thing on the internet where someone states a problem they have with a product and a person replies "well I haven't had that problem". Oh good for you! Maybe the factory adjusted your window better than mine, maybe you haven't had the unique crosswind situation yet.

Door and windows wind noise have been fixed for 2022.
Nope.
Door and window wind noise is not fixed for 2022, I know they put the double pane glass in, but the main problem is the windows don't seal super well. In fact on a windy day sometimes they pull away and it gets *super loud* and it won't go away until you stop and open and close the door again. Some of this may be fixable by adjusting window position but the dealer won't do it so I'll have to try and figure it out.
Yes. One day I had a very loud whistling noise from the passenger front on a windy day. One month old vehicle.
I am doubting this opinion here. Why? I actually went up to my 2022M3 and the frameless window actually roll up into a deep groove.
I think the issue is the rear edge of the window doesn't go into a groove, I can take a dollar bill and slide it right in between the window and the seal. (My 1988 Fiero does have a grove in the gasket for the rear of the window and has less wind noise than this $54K Model 3.) If the seals aren't adjusted to push tightly against the glass then low pressure outside can pull the glass out enough to cause noise. On mine it's intermittent, some days worse than others, cross winds makes it worse. Of course when I took it to Tesla service and gave them a test ride it didn't make any noise. They said they'd see what they could do but I don't think they did anything. Half a millimeter closer to the window so the seals actually pressed up against it would make a difference.

I think the issue is the rear edge of the window doesn't go into a groove, I can take a dollar bill and slide it right in between the window and the seal. (My 1988 Fiero does have a grove in the gasket for the rear of the window and has less wind noise than this $54K Model 3.) If the seals aren't adjusted to push tightly against the glass then low pressure outside can pull the glass out enough to cause noise. On mine it's intermittent, some days worse than others, cross winds makes it worse. Of course when I took it to Tesla service and gave them a test ride it didn't make any noise. They said they'd see what they could do but I don't think they did anything. Half a millimeter closer to the window so the seals actually pressed up against it would make a difference.
Could you pull the gasket down a little in the back so it seats better? Just to see if that actually works.

Not sure what you mean by pull it down. The rear edge of the window presses flat against the gasket, the gasket would have to be moved out towards the window, or the window/door moved in.
The gasket that's on the inside of the door that the window seals to. When you said the rear of the window doesn't go into the groove, I thought you meant the top rear of the window isn't seating in the gasket groove.

No I meant the trailing vertical edge of the window has no groove to go into, it just lays flat against the gasket.

Curious if maybe the mechanism that the window is mounted on, is the same one for the non-laminated glass, and maybe the extra weight on that is causing the window to not seat against that flange on the gasket because it's bowing out or something?

No I meant the trailing vertical edge of the window has no groove to go into, it just lays flat against the gasket.
As it does in my BMW convertible. The design is same. You probably need to get the window adjusted to put more pressure on the gasket as it rolls up. That is the same with any frameless window.