Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud wind noise coming from roof on freeway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that my door seal trim is different than yours.

Take a look. Top corner looks differentView attachment 837686
The EQS has a very similar weatherstripping

96F7037B-381D-4B23-A446-B523AEFFC1F8.jpeg

C048126D-0D5D-444A-9295-1F17B90F6D8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovecoffee
Service Center recently replaced the Top Glass since water was leaking in during rain. They found the factory did not apply urethane correctly to seal off the glass and body.

Now, I’ve been hearing wind hissing/static noises especially at freeway speeds of 65+ and windy conditions ever since the repair.

Interestingly, the rubber seals (photos provided) look more prominent compared to the original Top Glass after delivery.

Is this the root cause? I checked the window and door seals which were never touched.

B46711C0-73CF-4907-8FF3-069B00366A8F.jpeg
6D4DF2C8-ED4E-4F37-A7CF-2E6964B9868E.jpeg

Service Center recently replaced the Top Glass since water was leaking in during rain. They found the factory did not apply urethane correctly to seal off the glass and body.

Now, I’ve been hearing wind hissing/static noises especially at freeway speeds of 65+ and windy conditions ever since the repair.

Interestingly, the rubber seals (photos provided) look more prominent compared to the original Top Glass after delivery.

Is this the root cause? I checked the window and door seals which were never touched.

View attachment 872937View attachment 872938
Uhhh... That looks so off centre. That gap is ginormous and probably catching wind. Wth

Reactions: enemji

Doesn't look right.

My first M3 had the roof glass raised up like a lip (like a wind deflector) and was in no way a smooth transition. Tesla said this is normal and in spec for their "hand made" cars. Wouldn't touch it. However, service techs I showed it to said it wasn't acceptable and should be fixed having seen it many times; but knew it wouldn't get signed off on either.

The second one had no lip, was a smooth transition and made made "less" noise.

RE wind noise there's a YouTube video from Tesla Raj a year or two ago where he taped (easily removed and non destructive painters tape) on all the roof seals and and body panel gaps and ran noise meter tests before and after.

Simple test for wind noise.

FYI the MY is actually a much quieter compared to similar configured M3. Tesla seems to be putting more efforts into improving the Y than the 3 over the years.

Totally agree. 99.99% of the time wind noises are a result of such minor alignment issues.

The cars also need better glass, more sound isolation material, and smaller gaps on panels besides glass.

I've had Audi's and even VW's where you couldn't even hear the ICE engine inside, let alone wind noise. Well unless you were revving the engine or driving over 120.

FYI the MY is actually a much quieter compared to similar configured M3. Tesla seems to be putting more efforts into improving the Y than the 3 over the years.
@jeremymc7 I think it's really car-by-car. When I test drove 2021 MYLR, M3LR, and M3P in fall 2021 the Y had by far louder wind noise than the 3's, which were both equally quiet. All three cars had the 2021+ double pane front windows, new interior console, etc. The 3 we bought also turned out to be quiet, same as the ones we tested, thankfully.

At the time I assumed that of course Tesla would exhibit good cars as demos, so that must just be how the Y is, loud. Now from reading these forums I've realized it's really luck of the draw still. There are quiet Y's and loud Y's, quiet 3's and loud 3's, even with the 2021+ improvements.

My guess is most Y and 3 coming off the lines these days are assembled well enough to be quiet, but still not all, and clearly nobody high up at Tesla cares enough to filter or fix them from the demo fleet, let alone fixing before customer delivery.

Reactions: enemji
Thanks for the replies y’all. I have an appointment set for Friday, this will be my 5th time since taking delivery at the end of September.

Of course the service estimate shows a diagnostic fees but I will for sure be discussing all of the prior repairs. I won’t be paying a single penny for all of these quality issues lol.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2