Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud wind noise coming from roof on freeway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the replies y’all. I have an appointment set for Friday, this will be my 5th time since taking delivery at the end of September.

Of course the service estimate shows a diagnostic fees but I will for sure be discussing all of the prior repairs. I won’t be paying a single penny for all of these quality issues lol.
I have similar alignment issues, wonder if it causes rain to get in and damage internals!

If you haven't seen issues I wouldn't worry about.

On my previous Audi A7 (which was a retractable sunroof) it needed service 4 times I think.

At least 2 times for alignment due to wind noise and entry into cab, but no water. Another time there was water. Then another time with water where they had to pull the sunroof, drop roof liner, re-allign roof and finally fix drain house which was the actual reason for water into car.

Obviously fixed glass doesn't need drain hoses.

If you haven't seen issues I wouldn't worry about.

On my previous Audi A7 (which was a retractable sunroof) it needed service 4 times I think.

At least 2 times for alignment due to wind noise and entry into cab, but no water. Another time there was water. Then another time with water where they had to pull the sunroof, drop roof liner, re-allign roof and finally fix drain house which was the actual reason for water into car.

Obviously fixed glass doesn't need drain hoses.

Good to know, 38k miles so far and no water leaks so I think I'll just leave it alone!

The cars also need better glass, more sound isolation material, and smaller gaps on panels besides glass.

I've had Audi's and even VW's where you couldn't even hear the ICE engine inside, let alone wind noise. Well unless you were revving the engine or driving over 120.
🤷🏽‍♂️ I have had Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Mazda, and all of them have road noise. I have attributed that to a superior sport suspension. As rentals recently I have driven Toyota Camry, Ford Explorer, Ford Mustang, Camaro, Dodge Challenger, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander. The quitest vehicle I have driven thus so far - Kia Sorento and the U-Haul Trucks.

Regarding the side window seals discussed earlier in the thread I seem to have "fixed" it by keeping the windows rolled down when parked in my garage. I think this allows the gaskets to decompress enough so that they seal better when the windows are rolled back up. Have to see if it keeps working in colder weather when the seals get stiffer.

Reactions: enemji
I hope this helps
I put black weather stripping around all the doors on my 21 M3LR. It's very concealed and I think it helped reduce some wind noise.
Sometimes when I'm driving 70 mph on smooth roads (19" oem wheels/tires) the interior is extremely quiet.
Other times I'm driving on different paved surfaces and I am get a decent amount of noise.
So I think the majority of the noise in my car is tire noise and not the wind noise.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
So on a whim, I tried out this idea of having the window have more pressure against the seal. But instead of taking it to the service center, I instead added a layer of weatherstrip to the existing one. Effectvely this made the glass have a bit more pressure to seal.

Did it work. O yea. With my 2 fixes - One for the roof and the other for the window frame, there is ZERO wind noise now.

@elonmusk should hire me now as a special advisor to help bring changes that make difference without costing an arm or a leg.
What width is that weather stripping?