Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud wind noise coming from roof on freeway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 LR. Is it normal to hear a pretty loud wind noise coming from the roof area while driving at around 70 mph?
Oh yea, they all do it. Did you come from an Audi, BMW or MB? Those cars are way quieter in the cabin. Having gaps between all the glass panels don't help either. Get that amazon silicone/rubber filler tube/band for the roof glass channel and you will see a tiny bit reduction in wind noise. Beyond that more insulation in the a pillar and/or adding more weather stripping and insulation in front doors can help as well.

Oh yea, they all do it. Did you come from an Audi, BMW or MB? Those cars are way quieter in the cabin. Having gaps between all the glass panels don't help either. Get that amazon silicone/rubber filler tube/band for the roof glass channel and you will see a tiny bit reduction in wind noise. Beyond that more insulation in the a pillar and/or adding more weather stripping and insulation in front doors can help as well.
Indeed, before M3 I had two BMWs and and two MBs which were exceptionally quiet at speed.

@Motion122 No they don't all have that noise. Maybe older Model 3 did, but among 2021-2022 Model 3 and Y it seems to be somewhat hit-and-miss. I've experienced what the OP is talking about firsthand, and I can tell you my 2021 M3P does not have the issue, thankfully.

@berman2921 It's *not* normal, but unfortunately it does seem to be a recurring issue. A 2021 MYLR I tested had it real bad, exactly as you described. Neither the M3LR nor M3P I tested had it though, nor the M3P I bought. But others have reported it with new Model 3, for example:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6474469/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6506973/

And also new Model Y:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6508534/

Good luck getting Tesla service to acknowledge and fix it. I once came across a report here of someone who got service to replace their roof or windshield - I forget which - under warranty and that fixed it. That was a Model Y if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
I'll clarify that my 2021 M3P is by no means silent at 70mph. Wind noise is present, and I've certainly been in cars with even less. But it's not offensively loud at all, in fact it's the quietest car I've owned, including quieter than my old Model S. It's really perfectly fine and relaxing at 70mph, and I can't imagine you would have made this post if your Model 3 was as quiet as mine.

Also as mentioned both Model 3's I test drove had the same perfectly fine wind noise levels. All three (2 demos + my car I purchased) were built early October 2021 in Fremont. That awful loud Model Y demo I tested was a 2021-Q3 car though, for what that's worth.

I'll clarify that my 2021 M3P is by no means silent at 70mph. Wind noise is present, and I've certainly been in cars with even less. But it's not offensively loud at all, in fact it's the quietest car I've owned, including quieter than my old Model S. It's really perfectly fine and relaxing at 70mph, and I can't imagine you would have made this post if your Model 3 was as quiet as mine.

Also as mentioned both Model 3's I test drove had the same perfectly fine wind noise levels. All three (2 demos + my car I purchased) were built early October 2021 in Fremont. That awful loud Model Y demo I tested was a 2021-Q3 car though, for what that's worth.
It is disturbingly loud. My wife who drives Lexus always complains when she rides in M3 with me

I think there's a distinction between "normal" wind noise and "annoying" wind noise. Any car going 70 will have some noise, especially in high or cross winds. This (to me) is a noise that's consistent, not varying in volume or pitch. It might be very low, to the point where it's not really noticeable especially with the radio on. This is the kind of noise I had in my 2021 M3LR.

Then there's the annoying kind, which is much more variable. It often sounds like whistling. I did not have this in my 2021 M3LR but do have it in my 2022 M3LR. I'm guessing the rubber kit fixes the first kind but not the second kind. I'm still tracking down the whistling, but I'm 80% sure it's coming from the driver's side window trim. It may (also) be coming from the windshield / top window, but that seems less likely.

Given that I didn't have it in my '21, it seems like it can be solved and that it is NOT normal.

@Motion122 No they don't all have that noise. Maybe older Model 3 did, but among 2021-2022 Model 3 and Y it seems to be somewhat hit-and-miss. I've experienced what the OP is talking about firsthand, and I can tell you my 2021 M3P does not have the issue, thankfully.

@berman2921 It's *not* normal, but unfortunately it does seem to be a recurring issue. A 2021 MYLR I tested had it real bad, exactly as you described. Neither the M3LR nor M3P I tested had it though, nor the M3P I bought. But others have reported it with new Model 3, for example:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6474469/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6506973/

And also new Model Y:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6508534/

Good luck getting Tesla service to acknowledge and fix it. I once came across a report here of someone who got service to replace their roof or windshield - I forget which - under warranty and that fixed it. That was a Model Y if I recall correctly.
I have both a 2019 and 2021 and both are equally loud in my opinion. The 2021 may seem a bit quieter because of the front laminated glass. Since we don't know what is loud or normal to the OP, I raised the question to compare it to another car. The type of business I am in I get to drive many German cars and was a previous owner of BMWs and MBs the most immediate difference is the elevated wind noise level in Model 3's.

Reactions: berman2921
I just noticed that in some places the roof rubber gasket was not installed perfectly and I can see the metal. Sorry for the car looking dirty in the pic

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 600
It is disturbingly loud. My wife who drives Lexus always complains when she rides in M3 with me
This solution will help for sure. Just measure the gap between your glass panels and get the appropriate width foam tape

BLOSY Weather Stripping 3/8"W x 1/8"T, Foam Tape for Window Door, Adhesive Foam Insulation Tape Reduce Noise Dust Cold Air, 16FT Each x 3 Rolls, Black

I have a 22m3lr and most of the wind noise i get is from the doors and windows. I purchased a door seal kit that i will install this weekend. unfortunately this wont help my windows. Has anyone found a good solution for poor seals on the windows?

I have a 22m3lr and most of the wind noise i get is from the doors and windows. I purchased a door seal kit that i will install this weekend. unfortunately this wont help my windows. Has anyone found a good solution for poor seals on the windows?
Door and windows wind noise have been fixed for 2022.

Curious to know what was your prior car.