Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love, Love, Love the new Raven Suspension!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cool!
looks like they are currently delivering raven's with an AO Audi spec tire (2019 A7 maybe?, ~4300 curb weight).
thanks for the photo

upload_2019-6-12_10-5-0.png

Reactions: boonedocks
Also love the Raven suspension!
Got my performance with ludicrous 2 days ago.

Previous cars p85dl with the firm suspension built feb 2015 then p100dl.

I loved the sporty p85d suspension, was planted and precise. The p100d was too soft and floaty for me.

I had doubts about the raven suspension but went for it after reading the reviews. I can say with certainty that it is as precise and planted as the p85d was and also smoother over bumps, even on sport setting.

The car feels much more solid, tight and has a much improved steering response than the p100d.

All of these on 21 rims.

Picked up my P100DL on Saturday. According to testers who posted a YouTube video, the Sport setting is like the old Model S suspension. The Standard is the new softer setting. After driving with Standard for a little while, the switch to Sport is very noticeable, and now that feels too harsh. I really like the luxury feel of the Standard setting. The car is VERY quiet going over bumps as well. LOVE IT!!!!

Can you compare the Sport mode to your AWD Model 3's?

Can someone explain the "raven" reference? I am trading my 2018 P100D in next week on a 2020 performance version. No more reference to P100D, it seems all are now Dual Motor and you either buy the performance version or the long range version. No choices on suspension, or anything else but colors and rims.

The disturbing thing is that my 2018, bought 16 months ago, had an MSRP of $145,700. The same car today, is $110,000...

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Can someone explain the "raven" reference? I am trading my 2018 P100D in next week on a 2020 performance version. No more reference to P100D, it seems all are now Dual Motor and you either buy the performance version or the long range version. No choices on suspension, or anything else but colors and rims.

The disturbing thing is that my 2018, bought 16 months ago, had an MSRP of $145,700. The same car today, is $110,000...

'raven' is just the code name for the cars that are produced now (for a few months now) that have the same motor as the M3, new suspensions, better bearings and a few other improvements. You can spot them by looking at the badge on the back. No more Model S nor numbers (100D). It just says "Dual Motor".

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
'raven' is just the code name for the cars that are produced now (for a few months now) that have the same motor as the M3, new suspensions, better bearings and a few other improvements. You can spot them by looking at the badge on the back. No more Model S nor numbers (100D). It just says "Dual Motor".

Is this new suspension somewhat responsible for the rather substantial increase in range? In other words, does it lower the body at freeway speeds?

Increased range is mainly due to two things. The ceramic bearings, but mainly it’s because of the front motor being switched out with one from a model 3.

This is an interesting difference between the Model 3 and Model S/X. The Model 3 (recent tests have shown this) is driving mostly on the rear motor and only used the front motor if it needs high power (hard acceleration). For regen it used the rear motor exclusively. So basically the Model 3 is a RWD car most of the time.

The raven S/X have the front motor in use most of the time as it's the more efficient motor.

This is an interesting difference between the Model 3 and Model S/X. The Model 3 (recent tests have shown this) is driving mostly on the rear motor and only used the front motor if it needs high power (hard acceleration). For regen it used the rear motor exclusively. So basically the Model 3 is a RWD car most of the time.

The raven S/X have the front motor in use most of the time as it's the more efficient motor.

Right. Because to do it the other way they'd have to set up a new much bigger PMSR motor - and it'd still be a little less efficient since that motor would be running so far from peak leads in normal driving.

Weight transfer on acceleration means you need the big motor at the back to manage anything like Ludicrous mode.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
By default it switches to Low at freeway speeds, but that's a setting option on the center screen, like it was before. I don't think it's any different from past Air Suspension S/X cars...

Did the previous versions of Models S&X have different range ratings based on whether they had the adjustable air suspension? If not, which suspension was used to determine the EPA efficiency numbers?

Reactions: Michelx
Did the previous versions of Models S&X have different range ratings based on whether they had the adjustable air suspension? If not, which suspension was used to determine the EPA efficiency numbers?

epa test speeds aren't high enough for suspension changes to matter. The epa highway test speed averages 48.3 mph with a max of 60. Detailed Test Information

Real world the suspension lowering will matter above 60 mph, but you just won't see that in EPA style testing.

I'd also like to remind you that as far as I know EPA hasn't tested any Teslas yet and they aren't likely to do so any time soon.

EPA generaly doesn't test the car in any way, it's all self reported numbers provided by Tesla.
  • EPA numbers are self reported and only a small number of car models each year are chosen for random testing. In 2017 that percentage was near 9.58% (0.0958 if I got the math right).

• For example in 2017 the EPA tested 0 Tesla cars. Same for 2018 as well.
See Data on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA for the raw data.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Picked up my P100DL on Saturday. According to testers who posted a YouTube video, the Sport setting is like the old Model S suspension. The Standard is the new softer setting. After driving with Standard for a little while, the switch to Sport is very noticeable, and now that feels too harsh. I really like the luxury feel of the Standard setting. The car is VERY quiet going over bumps as well. LOVE IT!!!!

Your reaction is identical to mine. Super car with a super suspension!