TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Love mountain driving

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by leighb, Aug 28, 2016.

1. leighb

leighb Member

I drove into the Coachella Valley today from San Diego. For those not familiar with the drive, HWY 74 is a steep mountain road with lots of tight curves and incredible views. I had so much fun driving this road in my Tesla! I'm still wearing my Tesla grin. An added bonus was the reality of my vehicles energy efficiency. It's a record for me!

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I take that route often, the impact of regen is impressive although i still need to hit the brakes more often than I'd prefer. And I still stop at the overlook almost every time. Did you take it back up yet ? The car loves it!

3. leighb

leighb Member

I drove up to Vista Point on my second test drive, but havn't done it in my car yet. I will most definitely do it on my next trip to SD. The low center of gravity and tight steering in sport mode is awesome!

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Yes, its amazing! Do an early run so you aren't bogged down with traffic and truly enjoy what this car can do.
    I took delivery at the Cat City facility........great guys out there!

5. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

I took my first real windy mountain road today to get to a trailhead. What was pretty amazing is the lack of body roll seemed to prevent carsickness which my family always seems to get on those kinds of roads. The effortless acceleration up the mountain was addictive and the regen allowed for one pedal driving instead of constantly switching pedals at every bend in the road. Quite enjoyable!

6. Tony8489

Tony8489 Member

+1 I've been up the Angeles Crest Highway twice and it's amazing how little you need to use the brakes coming down, even driving somewhat aggressively. We also drove over Tioga Pass between Mammoth and Yosemite in June.

7. Barry

Barry Member

Here's one for you. From the top of Mt Evans (~14200' ASL), down, a few weeks ago. The highest paved road in NA. Gained 19 miles of range on the way down:

upload_2016-8-29_6-1-31.jpeg upload_2016-8-29_6-1-31.jpeg

• Like x 1
  8. Tony8489

Tony8489 Member

The Mt. Wilson drive, a mix of freeway climbing ~1,000 feet, then mountain road to 5,700 feet, used 82 miles rated range going up and -1 mile rated range coming down. How much was used going up Mt. Evans?

9. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Highly recommend Mt. Rose highway (Nevada 431) Goes from Lake Tahoe (el. 6200) to 9000 feet pass and down to Reno. Lots of great views along the way. Lots of tight steep turns. I used to love it in my Porsche but, like everything, it's better in the Tesla.

• Like x 1
  10. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

Haleakala here on Maui is my favorite drive on the island (mostly going up, but down is cool with all of the regen and not having to use the brake). Mt. Evans is obviously higher elevation, but with Haleakala you get to go from 10,000 feet to about 100 feet in one drive. I usually average about 31 miles of regen during the drive down.
    haleakala_drive_energy_down.jpg

• Like x 3
  11. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

I live in the mountains so I drive mountain twisties every time I leave home and I agree with the OP that the Model S is lots of fun on mountain roads, both up and down. The friends who have driven my car are impressed by the handling and single pedal driving.

12. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

I just spent a month at Lake Tahoe which is at 6,250' after a 7,200' pass. Driving an ICE up there always reminded me how the altitude robbed power. Great to be in the MS and the power just continues to flow!