Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my car- every time I deal with the company though? Clown Car Music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
So I took delivery Sept 30 (after a serious of only-hilarious-in-retrospect) events.

The car is fantastic.

Last week a ranger came out to provide and program the second, missing-at-delivery, keycard and 2 missing phone cables... (though he was unable to delete the never-delivered card and couldn't explain why as he's sure he should be able to).

So I figured "Great, that's finished- I'm done dealing with folks who have no idea how to actually sell cars"

Nope.

First- for those not following the keystone-cop-like NC Tesla saga- Raleigh is the only place they can legally sell cars, but they have parking space for like 4 cars there- so 99% of them were physically going through Charlotte location they can NOT legally sell cars... this is apparently the black hole my 2nd keycard and phone cables fell into, anyway...

Raleigh eventually rented a lot from a sketchy bodyshop like 25 minutes away where they can park/deliver some cars, and that's where I took delivery Sept 30.

I've had temp tags since, and have been waiting on the "real" ones and paperwork.

Over the weekend I get a text from someone at Tesla Charlotte.... Oh, sorry... we forgot to do state inspection on your car before delivery....and no plates/registration for you until that's fixed.

Can you go to Tesla Service in Raleigh so they can fix?

Sure, I'll go back there...again...to fix your mistake....again...

So I go there this morning and tell them what I was told.

First they tell me "Oh, that's a delivery problem... we do service here, not delivery- you need to go up the street to the sales office"

So I ask them "You're telling me the SALES office does car inspections?"

Them- "Oh...no...they don't... but actually neither do we"

Me: ".... so nobody at this actual tesla dealership inspects new cars? Why was I sent here?"

Them: "Oh, well, we have a deal with Snappy Lube 10 minutes up the road... so we can send someone to follow you over there and pay for them to do your inspection"

Me... "Sure. Whatever."

And off we go.

The Tesla guy talks to the Snappy Lube guy for a minute, tells me I'm good to get inspected, and leaves.

Inspection done about 30 minutes later (there was a line).

The Snappy Lube guy was very nice- and informs me they've been doing a ton of these because Tesla apparently delivered a ton of cars without bothering to have them inspected...but mine should be in the NC system as approved now and I'm good to go.

I ask if I need to go to a DMV to get plates now or is Tesla going to handle this since I've only got 9 days left on temp tags?

He says he's not sure, but gives me the phone # for the state License office. (plates not drivers).

I call them- and tell them what happened... the lady asks for the zip of the dealership, and says "Oh, that's inspector so-and-sos area... he's out till Wednesday, but I'm going to send you to his voicemail- please let him know what happened- because it's illegal to deliver a car without inspecting it and he's going to need to fine them for every car they delivered that way"

Me: "Uh...ok... but what about my getting a license plate?"

Her: "The dealer should be handling that paperwork for you so we can't help you with that"

Anyway, I hung up when I got the voicemail- not looking to help bankrupt the folks I hope will honor my warranty should I ever need it.

But between this, and the $1000 per car fine Tesla should've been hit with for not leaving Monroney Stickers on windows at delivery (and not delivering with accurate ones either)... plus all the previous delivery screw-up stuff...

Clown car music. Every time.

PS- I did text back the dude in Charlotte to tell him the car was inspected. He claims I'll have plates in the mail in 2-3 days, a claim of which I am...highly dubious.

My current plan if nothing shows up in the next week or so is to drive back to Tesla in Raleigh on the 30th and inform them I'll be taking a loaner car home with me till the plates arrive.

• Helpful
Reactions: mattjs33 and Sg911
I’m in SoCal and they are a joke here as well, I have a list of things to take my car to Service Center for but am regretting the day. Love my car but my expierance purchasing the car and dealing with service are horrible.

Love the car though and would still do it again!

BUT, a lot of this rests on the state dealer lobby, no?

They HATE Tesla's "no dealership" model and they make it as hard on Tesla as they can . . . not all of this is Tesla's fault.

This had literally nothing to do with that though.

This was a failure of Tesla to get a state inspection prior to delivery (which was illegal on their part BTW). And then not notice or follow up on it for several weeks (they don't do inspection window stickers here anymore, so I had no way myself to know they had failed to do this on delivery).

My dealer is Raleigh also - do you have the plates now ?

Yup- they ended up having to pay for fedex overnight shipping to get me my plates before the temp ones stopped working- so other than having to waste time/driving to the service center, and then to the inspection station, they resolved it in the end- albeit for higher cost and more work on both our parts then was needed.

Another note- due to Tesla being unable to do math correctly I overpaid by $161 for the car.

At the time (sept 30) I pointed this out and asked about a refund- they said no problem I ought to see a check within about 4 weeks.

The check did finally arrive, after multiple follow ups and executive escalations, roughly 12 weeks after pickup.