Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my model Y but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AM radio can go away permanently. You can use Tune In to listen to your favorite AM stations and you do not have to worry about an antenna. If your AM station of choice is not on Tune In, contact them and request it. You do not need primitive grab handles when you can grab onto the door handle. Keeping the cost low and not just putting HomeLink into all of the vehicles makes sense to me. It is nice that you can add it if you want it. I have owned 2 Model S vehicles, a Model X and my favorite vehicle of all time is the Model Y. However, I am hurting financially, so I am hoping to rebound in time to buy the Cybertruck. Also, I have thousands of MP3s that I have bought, so I use a USB stick in the Tesla. I refuse to listen to ads or pay for streaming music.

Enjoy your wonderful Model Y vehicles. If you are rich, you know what to buy me for my unbirthday...

Brent

AM radio can go away permanently. You can use Tune In to listen to your favorite AM stations and you do not have to worry about an antenna. If your AM station of choice is not on Tune In, contact them and request it. You do not need primitive grab handles when you can grab onto the door handle. Keeping the cost low and not just putting HomeLink into all of the vehicles makes sense to me. It is nice that you can add it if you want it. I have owned 2 Model S vehicles, a Model X and my favorite vehicle of all time is the Model Y. However, I am hurting financially, so I am hoping to rebound in time to buy the Cybertruck. Also, I have thousands of MP3s that I have bought, so I use a USB stick in the Tesla. I refuse to listen to ads or pay for streaming music.

Enjoy your wonderful Model Y vehicles. If you are rich, you know what to buy me for my unbirthday...

Brent

How do you get highway traffic conditions that are broadcast on low power, low band AM radio stations on TuneIn?

Reactions: frankvb
I am going to add a positive to this thread.

Many complain about limited rear view vison because of the size/slope of the window. Coming from several conventional SUV's, I simply love the way the Y window works. Plenty for me to see what needs to be seen but the beauty is the window is always clean due to the slope. Really do not miss the wiper and washer fluid that work OK at best on those nearly vertical windows on almost all SUV's. Those square backs makes for some serious station wagon affect which mucks up the rear window after a block or two in wet/snowy weather and the reason they must have a wiper washer back there.

The electric motors and other electrical components in the Tesla vehicle create strong radio frequency interference (RFI) on the AM radio band. It was less expensive to delete the AM radio receiver than to address the RFI.

I, and many others, have had AM radio in our Tesla vehicles for years. It works just fine. Tesla removed it from the MS/MY to save a little money on the tuner and because they don't think their target customers care about listening to AM radio.

Reactions: 73Bruin

Brent

TuneIn doesn't carry AM stations owned by iHeart media, I believe. That's a large number of AM broadcasters in the USA.

Yep but most car will auto adjust based on speed
Really? Not disputing your statement but I have had 4 different Toyota's, a Celica, a Prius, a Camry SE and a Prius and none of them had that feature. My wife has had multiple different GM and Ford company cars (all 4 door sedans) over the years, a Chrysler mini-van and a Honda Civic. I can only remember one car with that feature an long time ago (and it didn't work very well).

FM radio i guess....but the Map built in has traffic...If not use Waze on phone etc.
FM Radio (not hardly). These are Travelers Information Stations 10 watt stations licensed by the FCC. Among other things, they are a used to alert of road closures, dangerous conditions in places where you don't have phone service (e.g mountain roads, national forests). So Google Maps/Waze. isn't an option.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Really? Not disputing your statement but I have had 4 different Toyota's, a Celica, a Prius, a Camry SE and a Prius and none of them had that feature. My wife has had multiple different GM and Ford company cars (all 4 door sedans) over the years, a Chrysler mini-van and a Honda Civic. I can only remember one car with that feature an long time ago (and it didn't work very well).
My 2014 Nissan Rogue has it. Same with the previous car Acura TSX Wagon, and the car before that VW Golf GTi back in 2010.

Telling people they don't want the things they want is probably not going to work. I was stunned when I found out the 2021 "computer on wheels" I'd purchased couldn't open my garage door when the 2013 Battlestar Odyssey I traded in had no problem with it. Same the other night when I went to listen to the Dodgers game on the way home from dinner out and realized there's no AM radio (luckily the games are broadcast on an FM HD station as well). Pointing out flaws and glaring omissions doesn't mean the Y is a bad car at all. But every time my wife reaches for the grab handle and finds it not there, telling her she didn't really want it isn't going to put a smile on her face. The three I just listed are the basics.

If you want to get into more serious things:
- I cannot believe Tesla is insisting on writing their own nav program instead of licensing Google Maps. What's next, building a tire plant?
- The novelty of the door handles wears off pretty quickly, especially if you're trying to open the door with items in both hands (I almost always have my phone out so I can put it on the charging pad, and sometimes I'm carrying a drink in the other hand). Very difficult to swivel the handle out and grab it to open the door with just a couple fingers free. I totally get that auto-presenting handles would add a big expense. It'd be nice as an option, but that's also taxing on the factory, I assume.
- Birds eye view as others have mentioned
- This should be an easy one: when I get out of the car, the seat is in the "Easy Entry" position, which is pushed and leaned pretty far back. This is fine, but when using the buttons in the trunk to flip the rear seats down, the one on the driver side frequently collides with the driver's seat. It'd be great if pushing the button also moved and leaned the front seats enough to ensure clearance by the back seats being lowered.

Is that really true? Makes me feel a little better. I thought Elon was just being snarky ;)
I don't know what Tesla's issues are with having an AM radio receiver in the Tesla Model 3, Model Y when they have AM in the S, X. Auto manufacturers have had 100 years to figure out how to minimize noise from spark plugs, spark coils, generators and alternators, HVAC blowers and windshield wiper motors from interfering with AM radio reception in their vehicles. Electric vehicles probably present new engineering challenges to preventing or blocking the interference.

My experience with speed sensitive volume. 1997 chevy Monte Carlo had it. 1998 Honda Accord had it. 2000 S10 had it. 2003 Chevy Impala had it. 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee had it. 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix had it. 1999 Pontiac Bonneville had it. 2008 Honda Accord had it. 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee had it. 2010 Chevy Camaro had it. 2006 Buick Lucerne had it. 2015 Ford F150 had it. 2019 F150 had it. SSV worked well and I came to expect it in my vehicles. I guess I'll use the steering wheel controls on the Y. What I really missed was dual climate controls. The GMs all had it, the Hondas didn't, nor the 2015 F150 (the 2019 F150 did).

AFAIK all of the GM, Ford vehicles I have owned or rented in the last 20 years have had speed sensitive volume setting. Most had Low/Medium/High settings; a few had Low/Low-Medium/Medium/High settings. My 2011 Ford Fusion had it; my 2017 Chevy Volt did too.

My 2000 Tacoma, 2001 BMW 335, 2007 Tundra, 2008 Fusion, 2009 Jetta, and 2013 Fusion all had this feature. I miss not having to constantly adjust the volume form highway levels when I pull into my driveway/office.

Reactions: AlexHung
Many complain about limited rear view vison because of the size/slope of the window. Coming from several conventional SUV's, I simply love the way the Y window works. Plenty for me to see what needs to be seen but the beauty is the window is always clean due to the slope. Really do not miss the wiper and washer fluid that work OK at best on those nearly vertical windows on almost all SUV's. Those square backs makes for some serious station wagon affect which mucks up the rear window after a block or two in wet/snowy weather and the reason they must have a wiper washer back there.
I have to disagree. I drove an hour in the rain to my first Tesla test drive this week in my 2009 Honda CRV which has a rear wiper. I test drove the Model Y around on city streets and really noticed that the drizzle and rain was significantly obscuring the view through that tiny window on the Model Y compared to the CRV. It wasn't a deal breaker issue, but I did mentally note it as a downside to the Model Y.

Personally, I would rather have a solid roof, but more glass to look out the back, sides, and especially the front. The top of the front window is a bit low for watching stoplights when you are as tall as I am.