Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my model Y but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok..approaching my one year of ownership and I love my model Y. But, let's get real. The technology is great but what's missing is available in every other car in this price range...ie:

Grab handle over the rear door...simple
Bird's eye view for easy parking...maybe less curb rash??
Rear cross-traffic alert with braking. Needed when backing out especially with limited rearview.
Garage opener built-in....$300 really!
Blindspot warning in mirrors or at least an audible when a turn signal is activated.
OK..I'm done. Anybody else has any additions?

SiriusXM satellite radio receiver, also AM HD radio (the Model S, X already have SiriusXM built in.)
Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Native TuneIn, Amazon Music, Apple Music and Tidal
Ventilated heated and cooled front seats
Air suspension
Track mode, Snow mode for true 50/50 power distribution on demand
Foot swipe hatch open
Matrix headlights (Standard on all configurations.)
Long Range RWD configuration (Just buid it already.)
Optional larger capacity battery pack, i.e. 100kWh (Extra long range, i.e. 400 miles.)
Optional longer, 25 foot, charging cord for Wall Connector, Corded Mobile Connector
Tesla spare tire kit (why should Tesla owners have to buy a 3rd party spare tire?)
Wiper blades sold on the Tesla site (why shouldn't Tesla owners be able to purchase replacement wiper blades from the Tesla site?)
Facial recognition for driver profile
Voice input option for PIN to drive (This would be useful in winter when wearing gloves.)
Wireless Level 2 vehicle charging, i.e WiTricity (This technology is still a few years out.)

Last edited:
Ok..approaching my one year of ownership and I love my model Y. But, let's get real. The technology is great but what's missing is available in every other car in this price range...ie:

Grab handle over the rear door...simple
Rear cross-traffic alert with braking. Needed when backing out especially with limited rearview.
Garage opener built-in....$300 really!
Blindspot warning in mirrors or at least an audible when a turn signal is activated.
OK..I'm done. Anybody else has any additions?
SiriusXM satellite radio receiver (the Model S, X already have SiriusXM built in.)

I agree completely! I would also add some option for direct playback of high resolution audio from a phone (USB and/or analog input jack).
Hopefully Tesla will up its game a bit in the future and include some of these features we take for granted on many other modern cars.

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
SiriusXM satellite radio receiver, also AM HD radio (the Model S, X already have SiriusXM built in.)
Air suspension
Foot swipe hatch open
Matrix headlights (Standard on all configurations.)
Long Range RWD configuration (Just buid it already.)
Optional larger capacity battery pack, i.e. 100kWh (Extra long range, i.e. 400 miles.)
Optional longer, 25 foot, charging cord for Wall Connector, Corded Mobile Connector
Tesla spare tire kit (why should Tesla owners have to buy a 3rd party spare tire?)
Wiper blades sold on the Tesla site (why shouldn't Tesla owners be able to purchase replacement wiper blades from the Tesla site?)
Voice input option for PIN to drive (This would be useful in winter when wearing gloves.)
Wireless Level 2 vehicle charging, i.e WiTricity (This technology is still a few years out.)

You nailed it.

How does a $50k+ car not have vented seats, XM radio, Apple and Android, garage door opener, and foot swip? Crazy

Reactions: Daekwan and rjpjnk
You nailed it.

How does a $50k+ car not have vented seats, XM radio, Apple and Android, garage door opener, and foot swip? Crazy
I think the problem is it's human for us to all view these as "the same" as any other $50k ICE vehicle, but in reality the costs are still higher for all the other tech from the EV and software/hardware side that goes in every Tesla. The Y and 3 are priced like luxury ICE vehicles but they aren't their luxury models. Hopefully, in time they will be able to drop the cost on the 3 and Y to the 30k range.

Every Tesla has FSD hardware (cameras, sensors plus GPU/ASICs) that is quite expensive and almost certainly no other vehicle has as capable hardware on that front. EV tech also is just going to be more expensive right now.

All that being said, I do think there are lower hanging fruit on the software side that they should be improving to keep up with the competition.

you guys do realize the model Y and 3 are the economy line for now..? S -- X - premium. You aren't going to find all these features in a lower end car. Luxury cars and other high performance cars may have the equipment you are all asking for - but not within the Tesla ecosystem.

Most of what people have listed in this thread is available on lower end cars from a variety of manufacturers. Others are Tesla Store items Maybe for the short term, I can see Tesla cranking out all of the 3s and Ys they can, but IMO, they are leaving money on the table by not at least offering an upgraded trim line that contains most of the items on the list. As an example, the following items are software only items that at most have some minor licensing costs.

Blindspot warning in mirrors or at least an audible when a turn signal is activated (IIRC Elon has promised this as coming in a future release albeit by displaying the side camera views when the turn signal is activated).

The Tesla is the only car that I have ever had that did not have grab handles (typically on all 4 doors). They are standard equipment on many very low end models: They can't be that expensive to install.

The following items could/should be incorporated in the upgraded trim line that I described, perhaps a $5,000 to $10,000 option:
Garage opener built-in.
Air suspension
Foot swipe hatch open
A larger capacity battery pack, i.e. 100kWh (Extra long range, i.e. 400 miles.)