Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my model Y but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bolt is great for those almost-parked-in parallel spots. And while it may be okay for road trips within a few hundred miles of SF, it gets a lot more dicey in the rest of the country.
True, although I have had fun driving it to places like Seattle, WA and Moab, Utah (Arches National Park) and once drove it 1,500+ miles to Edmonton, Alberta in Canada at the tail end of winter in freezing temperatures with ice and snow all using daytime DC charging and overnight recharges at hotel stops.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
True, although I have had fun driving it to places like Seattle, WA and Moab, Utah (Arches National Park) and once drove it 1,500+ miles to Edmonton, Alberta in Canada at the tail end of winter in freezing temperatures with ice and snow all using daytime DC charging and overnight recharges at hotel stops.
I bow to your superior openness to adventure! Those all sound pretty awesome.

I guess it's no worse than driving across the country in a VW bus in 1969, which I've certainly done. (It's less nerve-wracking when you're a kid and the grown-ups take care of all the mechanical issues.)

Reactions: Jeff N
I bow to your superior openness to adventure! Those all sound pretty awesome.

I guess it's no worse than driving across the country in a VW bus in 1969, which I've certainly done. (It's less nerve-wracking when you're a kid and the grown-ups take care of all the mechanical issues.)

Did you go to Yasgur's Farm in August of 1969? That would have been unbelievably cool of (I assume) your parents.

Did you go to Yasgur's Farm in August of 1969? That would have been unbelievably cool of (I assume) your parents.
Heh. I never actually thought about it, but according to the guest book we were at our camp August 6-17, which according to the pffft of all knowledge (Wikipedia) overlaps almost completely with Woodstock. What with being somewhat isolated and no such thing as cell phones, I'm sure we didn't even know it was happening until after we left.

It was both my parents and some family friends, a total of 8 of us in a single microbus. The associated memories are probably driving my desire to buy an I.D. Buzz to drive around the country now. But based on reviews so far, unless VW makes some major improvements over the I.D. 4, I'll probably just stick with the Model Y.

@GreenT yes. Homelink is now a $300 USD / $400 CAD option which must be installed by a mobile ranger or at a service center. I'm not sure what the pricing is like in France, however.
Wonder what else they removed?
I do not have one here ... went back to "petrol / essence" while I wait for a service center closer than 150kms from me. And documented service improves a LOT and I can install a charger in an owned garage. Here I see on street electric chargers with ICE cars parked in their bays. Looked into an electric MINI but with only 150km range ...

I’m either a complete idiot and missing something super obvious or I found something basic missing. Either way I did not want to create a new thread for this. When picking up someone at the airport, I realized that the screen doesn’t give you the option of opening the trunk while still in Drive. What am I missing?

I’m either a complete idiot and missing something super obvious or I found something basic missing. Either way I did not want to create a new thread for this. When picking up someone at the airport, I realized that the screen doesn’t give you the option of opening the trunk while still in Drive. What am I missing?
Just press the right stark button to get into Park and then you can open the trunk.

Right. It wasn’t my question though. Never had to put my car in park when triple “parked” in the pickup area at the airport, to open the trunk. Especially with the easy entry etc, it makes it inconvenient to have to put it in park.
The MY (and I assume all Teslas) default to safety. For example, I have noticed that if I have the door open that the car automatically goes into park (to protect against a runaway vehicle), even if I am sitting in the car. Now this was an intentional act on my part to check how much door opening clearance I have (due to an overly filled garage), but I have no issues with this.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
The MY (and I assume all Teslas) default to safety. For example, I have noticed that if I have the door open that the car automatically goes into park (to protect against a runaway vehicle), even if I am sitting in the car. Now this was an intentional act on my part to check how much door opening clearance I have (due to an overly filled garage), but I have no issues with this.
Yeah, I understand the safety side of it. But I would think that it would be easily fixable by software update, allowing the car to open the trunk on the screen while the speed is <1mph for example. After all, if you open the trunk in Park and then switch to Drive, it still lets you drive, it just displays a “proceed with caution” message.
I know there aren’t many instances where it would be needed, but always good to have the option. I can imagine dropping someone off somewhere while in traffic and having to rush to do the stop-open trunk-go sequence, wouldn’t be fun with having to switch to park. I can’t imagine a lot of rideshare drivers drive these, but I would imagine it to be inconvenient in that case too.
Anyway, I know it’s a first world problem (like literally everything on these forums), but it seems counterintuitive, whether I ride in style or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlexHung
Yeah, I understand the safety side of it. But I would think that it would be easily fixable by software update, allowing the car to open the trunk on the screen while the speed is <1mph for example. After all, if you open the trunk in Park and then switch to Drive, it still lets you drive, it just displays a “proceed with caution” message.
I know there aren’t many instances where it would be needed, but always good to have the option. I can imagine dropping someone off somewhere while in traffic and having to rush to do the stop-open trunk-go sequence, wouldn’t be fun with having to switch to park. I can’t imagine a lot of rideshare drivers drive these, but I would imagine it to be inconvenient in that case too.
Anyway, I know it’s a first world problem (like literally everything on these forums), but it seems counterintuitive, whether I ride in style or not.
During our road trip to Carmel, we saw 3 Tesla Model S being used by uber/lyft drivers.

Since the trunk open 'button' is on a touchscreen, I can see an additional issue with allowing it to be opened in Drive. It's much easier to accidentally press the wrong part of the screen while trying to use it when compared to a physical button dedicated to opening the trunk. They'd probably have to hide the trunk open button behind a menu to make sure it wasn't accessible on the main screen while driving.

The way it works now: You press the Park button and the display changes to show trunk open button. You press trunk open. With foot on brake, press the stalk down. You're back in Drive before the trunk has even opened, never mind opened, accessed by someone, and closed. Now... if you're the getaway driver for the bank job, and you're approaching the bank when you realize you forgot to open the trunk so your partner can jump in as you roll past at speed... yes, you have a problem.You'll need to stop and switch into park to open the trunk... then wait for it to open enough for a person to jump in. The split second timing your gang practiced is ruined. You're definitely going to jail... :)

Since the trunk open 'button' is on a touchscreen, I can see an additional issue with allowing it to be opened in Drive. It's much easier to accidentally press the wrong part of the screen while trying to use it when compared to a physical button dedicated to opening the trunk. They'd probably have to hide the trunk open button behind a menu to make sure it wasn't accessible on the main screen while driving.

The way it works now: You press the Park button and the display changes to show trunk open button. You press trunk open. With foot on brake, press the stalk down. You're back in Drive before the trunk has even opened, never mind opened, accessed by someone, and closed. Now... if you're the getaway driver for the bank job, and you're approaching the bank when you realize you forgot to open the trunk so your partner can jump in as you roll past at speed... yes, you have a problem.You'll need to stop and switch into park to open the trunk... then wait for it to open enough for a person to jump in. The split second timing your gang practiced is ruined. You're definitely going to jail... :)

It is important to be careful in situations like that!

I was the driver, you ran the show.
You had the last word; the go or no-go.
I knew every laneway in Ontario,
But it's not what you're sure of. It's what you don't know.

It should have been filled with the usual ones,
Throwing their cash into mutual funds.
We all had our ski masks, and sawed-off shotguns
But how do you plan for a bank full of nuns?

—Ed Robertson, Bank Job

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The main features I wish the Tesla had are real radar based BSM, rear/front cross traffic alert with braking, a 360 camera, and a head up display. Before I ordered a Y I was considering either a Lexus UX250h or a Toyota Venza. The UX250h is missing the 360 camera in the US but the Venza has all the tech you can imagine including an electrochroamatic panoramic moonroof and a digital rearview mirror.

In the end I decided to go with the Y because it's all electric and that basically trumps everything else in my eyes although I really wish it had all the bells and whistles.

Honestly I get the feeling that a lot of the missing features are missing because Tesla/Elon really want to be selling self driving cars so they don't like to include features that make driving easier since you won't need them in a self driving car. The only problem is that Teslas aren't really self driving yet(or ever) and until they are it would be really nice to have all of the modern driver aids.

Reactions: Gadget63
Good points. I too am disappointed to not have the basic tech features I have become accustomed to such as BSM mirrors, HUD, Cross Traffic Alert, Aux In, Apple CarPlay. I have all of these in my Toyota Prius Prime Limited. It is hard to downgrade to the Model Y.

I think what is going on here is that although the MY is priced like a luxury car, it isn't one. The M3 and MY are kind of "entry-level" Teslas. It's the best-in-class electric drive train that makes the price so high, not the detail and appointments. Just look at the interior trim quality. Decent to be sure, but not luxury. I have not looked at the S or X.

I wish that they would treat trim level the way they treat performance. Most of their models offer performance options, but no trim options. Why not offer a high trim option? I would pay extra for a "MY Limited". It's already really fast.

I still plan to buy a MY, but after months of research I now accept that it is a compromise and not the dream car I once thought it was. In short, despite it's lack of conventional modern day tech it still seems to be the best EV choice available at this time for the price.

Interesting theory about Tesla not emphasizing creature comforts because they're not targeting human drivers. We will know it's come to that when they remove the front seats. ;)

Reactions: 73Bruin
Ok..approaching my one year of ownership and I love my model Y. But, let's get real. The technology is great but what's missing is available in every other car in this price range...ie:

Grab handle over the rear door...simple
Bird's eye view for easy parking...maybe less curb rash??
Rear cross-traffic alert with braking. Needed when backing out especially with limited rearview.
Garage opener built-in....$300 really!
Blindspot warning in mirrors or at least an audible when a turn signal is activated.
OK..I'm done. Anybody else has any additions?

The National Safety Council should make this feature mandatory on all vehicles. Just glance in the direction you are going to turn and you know if it is safe.
There is nothing wrong with redundancy,
I almost side-swiped another car to my right today. No audible warning. By time you look down to the screen, it is either too late or you have run into a tree or an emergency vehicle.

Come on ELON, give up the little red car on the screen. We need blindspot warnings in the mirrors.

@GreenT yes. Homelink is now a $300 USD / $400 CAD option which must be installed by a mobile ranger or at a service center. I'm not sure what the pricing is like in France, however.
Bought $15 visor remote on Amazon. Pretty chintzy on Tesla's part IMO! Coming from BMW, I second the vote for a premium upgrade package that includes Cross Traffic and Bird's Eye Vew. Finally, how about a HUD for MY and M3?

Reactions: rjpjnk