Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my Tesla, but almost got stranded because of way out of whack mileage estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.... Did a full range charge (254miles) and headed down on Thursday, a pretty cold day (upper 30s) and headed straight to the Burlington NC supercharger, about 199 miles. I didn't drive fast, did some hypermiling (putting in N down long hills), and got there with about 20 miles to spare. ....

(Emphasis mine.) This part I don't understand. You would improve range if you keep it in D down hills and regenerate.

Just curious, do we think this situation is worse than with an ICE vehicle? Or do we just not notice in that case because fuel is ubiquitous?

It's the same. The difference is that only about 40% of the energy of the gas in an ICE makes it to the wheels, the rest is spent heating/cooling/moving all the other parts. So 60% of the energy consumption stays more or less the same, but the remaining 40% is affected by hills and weather. In a Tesla, about 90% of the energy gets to the wheels and that's why the impact feels greater. Say that the energy required by the wheels increases 50%. (Sorry, no link reference to the percentages and don't quote me, but I believe that's what I read sometime.)

- - - Updated - - -

No...that is EXTREMELY low for an 85. Did you mean 252 - 254??? That would still be a bit low for an 85 on a 100% charge but far more understandable.

I'm sure it was a typo, and you can confirm that by looking at the original post. It also corresponds to my car. With just over 20k miles I got 252 miles on my last range charge (although I didn't keep it plugged in to balance, so I might have been able to get more).

- - - Updated - - -

I am confident that by 2017 when the Model E starts up there will be many more charging stations than there are today and I am certain that Tesla's trip software will be far more sophisticated and accurate than it is today.

The problem is that Tesla has always stated the remaining range in miles, rather than a battery percentage. No ICE car does this and no one expects them to. This is an EV adoption thing and will eventually go away I think (but not before Model E is a common sight on the road).

Not meaning to be abusive here but I am not sure which is more out of whack the mileage estimator provided by the Tesla or the mileage estimator behind the wheel who fails to recognize over a hundred mile plus trip that s/he is using more than rated range estimates??? Sorry if that sounds harsh. :redface:

No ICE car does this....

Yes they do. As far back as I can remember my ICE's had a "range remaining" function in the drivers display although it was usually 'hidden' behind the odometer display. Here's just one:

2014_mazda_cx-5_int_lt_60513_600.jpg

Love my Tesla, but almost got stranded because of way out of whack mileage es...

Still, when buyers of the "affordable" tesla in a few years experience this (if they do) it will make a lot of negative headlines, IMHO. Unless there are a lot more charging stations, there will be a lot of stranded motorists.

It will no doubt create negative headlines but I'm sure like stories of running out of gas made the newspaper (guessing) or were talked about when a horse could stop at any field to eat 80+ years ago these will eventually go away. They could even be a good thing drawing attention to how bad destination charging and charger density is encouraging businesses to step up and attract customers.

Anyway, glad you made it home ok.

Scott,

We've had winds out of the northeast for the last few days--pretty strong. For every mph of headwind, it's equivalent to driving 1 MPH faster.

Can't blame the car's mileage estimate as it doesn't currently know the weather.

The next NAV update will be able to account for this, because wind is a significant factor.

Elon has said it publicly, but there has been not other confirmation. There is no official feature list for 6.0, or anything like that.

Got a link? I'm only pressing as I've heard that there will be more things taken into account in the nav in the future, but hadn't heard that something like winds would be (though it makes sense)

Got a link? I'm only pressing as I've heard that there will be more things taken into account in the nav in the future, but hadn't heard that something like winds would be (though it makes sense)

that would be really tricky in some places. Driving down 101 through the hills and near the rivers can have wind coming from all sorts of directions depending on the specific point on the road. NOAA or any other source would never be able to get this correct.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this to be added.