Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really should not be an issue if the software is written properly though as I can plug the same USB drive into the cheapest Android tablet and it will instantly resume music from my 240GB drive.
Totally agree. They are doing some sort of weird buffering.

I noticed the other day when I made a small change to one songs tags. I then put the drive back in and the car rescanned it. In the past the car would never rescan a USB drive if the root folder name was not changed. Obviously they decided against that somewhere down the line and now they seem to rescan constantly.

Maybe they got too many complaints from people who were upset that music they added did not appear.:confused:

Reactions: PhilDavid
Totally agree. They are doing some sort of weird buffering.

I noticed the other day when I made a small change to one songs tags. I then put the drive back in and the car rescanned it. In the past the car would never rescan a USB drive if the root folder name was not changed. Obviously they decided against that somewhere down the line and now they seem to rescan constantly.

Maybe they got too many complaints from people who were upset that music they added did not appear.:confused:

How about a manual rescan button?

Would be so much better than not playing any music when you get in the car!

The problem has to do with initialization of the USB drive though. If I manually turn on Sentry cameras even 30 seconds before I get in the car, there is music when I open the door as the drive has already been initialized when the USB subsystem was activated for Sentry recordings.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
2020.12.1 and unfortunately USB music resume still does not work unless you manually tun on Sentry Mode (which energizes the USB subsystem so that the USB drive initializes properly to play music when you open the door) before you approach the car.

If a Tesla engineer is working from home, maybe then can spend a couple of house to fix this?

For all the wonderful fun toys added to the car, how about some love for the USB music player?

I find we have occasionally have to do this, but only once when we do: Close door, wait for display to go black, open door and get in.

Having to open and close the door multiple times to get the USB music to resume only works sporadically for me.

It's a shame this long standing bug has yet to be fixed. If the USB music player would just wait a few seconds and try again once the USB subsystem has properly initialized they should be able to fix this issue.

I've had my used S for almost 2 months. USB seemed to work great first month although I may not have listened to music as much as I was enjoying the new (to me) car, but recently I am getting loading error. I have unplugged and plugged back in and that worked a few times but now it gives me several (over 5) options to select the same USB drive and I have made no changes to it. Most of the times they all have errors and this is on a small stick with only @150 songs. Each folder remembers the songs on the drive but can't play them. Thank goodness bluetooth streaming works.

I've had my used S for almost 2 months. USB seemed to work great first month although I may not have listened to music as much as I was enjoying the new (to me) car, but recently I am getting loading error. I have unplugged and plugged back in and that worked a few times but now it gives me several (over 5) options to select the same USB drive and I have made no changes to it. Most of the times they all have errors and this is on a small stick with only @150 songs. Each folder remembers the songs on the drive but can't play them. Thank goodness bluetooth streaming works.

How many songs do you have?

Many of us with the USB music not resuming bug have a few thousand songs so I think this might be partly responsible for the USB music not resuming issue. If they "test" their software with a USB drive of not too many songs, they may never see this bug.

I'm really hesitant to use Bluetooth streaming after I've invested so much effort to curate a library of high quality lossless audio tracks and would like to retain the quality of the music.

The music not resuming is sadly a daily frustration and such an easy thing for then to fix as it is caused by the USB subsystem taking a few seconds to initialize. This is why sometimes repeatedly opening and closing the driver's door can sometimes compel the music player to work.

• Informative
Reactions: Battpower
How many songs do you have?

Many of us with the USB music not resuming bug have a few thousand songs so I think this might be partly responsible for the USB music not resuming issue. If they "test" their software with a USB drive of not too many songs, they may never see this bug.

I'm really hesitant to use Bluetooth streaming after I've invested so much effort to curate a library of high quality lossless audio tracks and would like to retain the quality of the music.

On my stick in the Tesla, only about 150 songs. Today all the USB options I could select showed 0 songs. I'm going to try a reboot and see if that clears out the duplicate info. Bluetooth definitely isn't my first choice, unfortunately it is currently my only choice.

I forgot to hit 'post reply' earlier LOL... So soft reset (two scroll wheels) with no USB plugged in cleared all duplicates, mine is back to working and only showing the one stick plugged in, hope it lasts!

Just a quick chime in, this thread scared me. BUT I bought a USB hub, and a sandisk usb drive (64gb), downloaded all my apple cloud music 99% of it in their m4a format, plugged all that into the Model S today and...it played just fine! No long indexing or nothing. Tried several songs, all worked with appropriate track listing just as if you popped the CD in, with appropriate artwork also. A real USB success!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Just a quick chime in, this thread scared me. BUT I bought a USB hub, and a sandisk usb drive (64gb), downloaded all my apple cloud music 99% of it in their m4a format, plugged all that into the Model S today and...it played just fine! No long indexing or nothing. Tried several songs, all worked with appropriate track listing just as if you popped the CD in, with appropriate artwork also. A real USB success!

I can duplicate this bug every time I get in the car in the morning. After the car goes to sleep, my USB music never resumes when I get in the car. If I open and close the Driver's Door a few times it may work but it's a silly thing to have to do.

This bug is linked to how long it takes the USB subsystem to initialize so should be quite easy for them to fix. I can confirm this bug is caused by a delay in getting the USB subsystem initialized when you first enter the car after it has been asleep. At home, I have Sentry turned off since the car is in a locked garage. If on my way to the car, I turn on Sentry Mode (which activates the USB subsystem for video storage), USB music works 100% of the time when I enter the car.

I tried switching to Spotify for music but the Spotify music player seems to have even more issues playing music. When listening to a playlist in random order, rather than play all the songs, it plays the same few songs over and over again.

The good news with the USB music player is that when it starts playing music, it works beautifully, though I wish they'd add playlist support.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Don't let your car sleep, and USB will not fail you anymore!
I never let mine sleep, I want it always ready to go at shortest notice.

I like my car fully rested with enough sleep :)

Seriously though, there is a measurable increase in power drain and it's just a bit wasteful for the car to not sleep so that the music can can resume. I'd say fixing the USB music resuming option would be a better option than the car not sleeping. :p

Not here. Shows I have at least 5 blank USBs plugged in when I only have the one. Even resetting the system doesn't clear it. I have to drive a few times (or maybe it is just letting it rest a few days) with the only stick I have unplugged before it clears, then I can plug it in and it reads it correctly and plays music off of it.

it's almost 2021 and you people are still using usb music like i did back in high school like 18 years ago. Move on with the times :p
What is wrong with playing music off slacker? it works great, and if you have to use "your own" music for whatever reason why not play it off your phone via bluetooth? When i go through an area with no cell service i simply switch from slacker to my phone storage for music until i have cell service again.
It's hard to believe tesla even supports such an old method of playing tunes.

Slacker isn't available here.
My phone is old (doesn't play FLAC) and its memory is full of pics, no extra room for music.
Phone playback is even worst than USB playback in my Tesla, so given a choice I go with the least horrible: USB.

I didn't know that slacker wasn't available everywhere.

And if your phone is that crappy, then its time for an upgrade. I mean if the storage is full then get a bigger SD card. If it doesn't support a SD card… again upgrade because that junk is old, old.

And how is phone playback bad? It works the same way it would if you plugged in headphones or connected to a BT speaker. If your phone doesn't work right in your car… update your damn phone. Good models are going for only like $300 nowadays.

• Disagree
Reactions: byeLT4