Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car just needs to play the dam USB stick. My 2018 Hyundai Ioniq does with no problems. My Z06 that I traded in for the Tesla played it fine, zero problems. My 2016 Hyundai Accent wait for it.. Does it as well!!! Even the crappy rental I drive for work with the $100 cheap aftermarket player does. Heck, the Ioniq even has dedicated memory IN THE CAR to save music, no phone or USB stick necessary, and NO problems!

Another thing to think about with USB is that we have control of what version of an album is played. Often the services find something that is not what we want even with the same album name (ie a newer version or recompilation). And lets not forget licensing rights. See the latest issues with Amazon stating you really don't own the digital copy you think you did.

Also there is the quality thing. Most of us have copied high quality, high bw content via FLAC to our USB drives. The MS/MX premium audio option plays those files as well as the highly compressed MP3s most likely streamed from a phone or service along with the bandwidth of Bluetooth. To most that is not important, to many of us it is.

Reactions: byeLT4
Most of us have copied high quality, high bw content via FLAC to our USB drives.
I don't know what Slacker is like (because we don't have it), but TuneIn Radio bit rates are awful, Spotify is better but too flaky in operation in the MCU1 (like it works 50% of the time on a good day). For so many of us a functional USB player is very important still for the reasons you also noted.

Reactions: byeLT4
I don't know what Slacker is like (because we don't have it), but TuneIn Radio bit rates are awful, Spotify is better but too flaky in operation in the MCU1 (like it works 50% of the time on a good day). For so many of us a functional USB player is very important still for the reasons you also noted.
Not sure if this is true. I have MCU1 and my Spotify works flawlessly every time. No issues.

It continues to be disappointing that Tesla can't fix the long outstanding USB media player bugs - especially forgetting the current source/song/position after resuming from sleep.

The early Model S production vehicles didn't have this problem. It wasn't until 2013 when Tesla added sleep mode, that we started having these problems. Initially sleep mode could be disabled - which avoided the resume-from-sleep bugs, in exchange for more battery usage while parked.

Later, Tesla decided to remove the "disable sleep" setting - and now is pretty aggressive in putting the vehicle to sleep (to save battery charge), which only makes the appearance of the USB media player bug more frequent.

Fixing this issue shouldn't be that difficulty - and hard to understand why Tesla hasn't fixed this issue by now. Without a fix, it can be frustrating to use the USB media player when returning to the car after it's gone to sleep - even more frustrating if it was playing very long audiobook...

I suspect it is because both Elon and the programming staff have the same opinion as is posted upthread.

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.
USB media is the only lossless audio pathway Tesla provides in the car. Every other media source is crunched bitrate, sloppy sounding crap. We're only going backwards. Streaming music is convenient, and I use it as well. But the concept of "owning" an album and paying artists directly for their work (I'm talking about Bandcamp) isn't lost in 2021.

Bluetooth from your phone is often a double whammy: you get the compressed audio from the streaming service, decompressed by the app, then lossy-compressed again by the OS to go over Bluetooth. All this, and the artists are left scraping for shavings of a penny per play.

The worst part of this is being 2021 and continuing to go backwards - with more issues introduced and no problems solved. No more album art, and the resume issue still isn't addressed. And storage is more plentiful than ever... there's literally no reason that every track shouldn't be stored and played lossless, given the near infinite storage capacity and blinding fast transfer rates we have today.

We could have had CD audio (that's lossless), or an aux input (that's lossless - though with its own distortions), or even for Tesla to give enough of a crap to implement lossless Bluetooth streaming. Or to implement iOS' PCM-over-USB audio support for iPhones like Nissan and others did in ... what, 2011, and still works today? Nope. They did none of that. Just streaming hot garbage.

Get spotify premium or blue tooth
the only way to use spotify in the car is ALREADY to have Premium. Can't use it with free accounts, because Tesla can't play the ads.
and we are all very aware and capable of using Bluetooth.

there's an evident lack of so many concepts here as to why that is even a problematic reply to be posting in this thread, but... I don't even think it'd be useful to try breaking them down. But we're asking for better options than those, not "woe is us, how will we listen to music at all".

the only way to use spotify in the car is ALREADY to have Premium. Can't use it with free accounts, because Tesla can't play the ads.
and we are all very aware and capable of using Bluetooth.

there's an evident lack of so many concepts here as to why that is even a problematic reply to be posting in this thread, but... I don't even think it'd be useful to try breaking them down. But we're asking for better options than those, not "woe is us, how will we listen to music at all".
So problem solved. Just buy premium or use Bluetooth. Its 2021

So problem solved. Just buy premium or use Bluetooth. Its 2021
What part about this are you not understanding? Those options are sh*t quality. You're presenting them and saying "its 2021" which to me reads "stuff sucks now, live with it". No, we're not going to just live with inferior options.

I'm not an idiot - I already have Spotify Premium and I use it on occasion, and I also know how to use Bluetooth. You're not saying anything new or adding anything useful here. What you're saying is basically "we're never going to get anything better". F that. This is a premium car - it should at least have some premium functionality.

What part about this are you not understanding? Those options are sh*t quality. You're presenting them and saying "its 2021" which to me reads "stuff sucks now, live with it". No, we're not going to just live with inferior options.

I'm not an idiot - I already have Spotify Premium and I use it on occasion, and I also know how to use Bluetooth. You're not saying anything new or adding anything useful here. What you're saying is basically "we're never going to get anything better". F that. This is a premium car - it should at least have some premium functionality.

I'm afraid this is what we get for not having any competition. They just don't care we are having problems listening to our music. They've known their music player has problems for 4+ years.

I can't wait for Rivian and XPeng to start selling their cars in large numbers in the US. XPeng offers flawless USB music playback in their cars. I also love how they have speakers in the driver's headrest of the car so if a call comes in, you can take it without bothering your passengers since the phone call is routed to the speakers right next to your ears in the headrest. In my Tesla people within half a block can hear my phone conversation 😁

I bet Rivian will have a functioning music player.

I'm also sure the upcoming Mercedes EQS will also have a functioning music player.

I'm afraid this is what we get for not having any competition. They just don't care we are having problems listening to our music. They've known their music player has problems for 4+ years.

I can't wait for Rivian and XPeng to start selling their cars in large numbers in the US. XPeng offers flawless USB music playback in their cars. I also love how they have speakers in the driver's headrest of the car so if a call comes in, you can take it without bothering your passengers since the phone call is routed to the speakers right next to your ears in the headrest. In my Tesla people within half a block can hear my phone conversation 😁

I bet Rivian will have a functioning music player.

I'm also sure the upcoming Mercedes EQS will also have a functioning music player.
Tesla is amazing

When I got my first Model S back in 2016, I gave rides to plenty of friends and neighbors who had never been in a Tesla. We'd enter the car, my favorite music track would resume, and the passenger would excitedly point at the CID and exclaim, "Whoa! Is that the album cover? That's so cool!"

Now they get in my 2020 MS, watch me fumble with the USB settings to find my favorites AGAIN, and then ask, "Hey, where's the album cover? Is your music player broken?"

I just frown. :confused: