Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

byeLT4

Feb 16, 2017
Texas
The car just needs to play the dam USB stick. My 2018 Hyundai Ioniq does with no problems. My Z06 that I traded in for the Tesla played it fine, zero problems. My 2016 Hyundai Accent wait for it.. Does it as well!!! Even the crappy rental I drive for work with the $100 cheap aftermarket player does. Heck, the Ioniq even has dedicated memory IN THE CAR to save music, no phone or USB stick necessary, and NO problems!

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Another thing to think about with USB is that we have control of what version of an album is played. Often the services find something that is not what we want even with the same album name (ie a newer version or recompilation). And lets not forget licensing rights. See the latest issues with Amazon stating you really don't own the digital copy you think you did.

Also there is the quality thing. Most of us have copied high quality, high bw content via FLAC to our USB drives. The MS/MX premium audio option plays those files as well as the highly compressed MP3s most likely streamed from a phone or service along with the bandwidth of Bluetooth. To most that is not important, to many of us it is.

Reactions: byeLT4

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
Most of us have copied high quality, high bw content via FLAC to our USB drives.
I don't know what Slacker is like (because we don't have it), but TuneIn Radio bit rates are awful, Spotify is better but too flaky in operation in the MCU1 (like it works 50% of the time on a good day). For so many of us a functional USB player is very important still for the reasons you also noted.

Reactions: byeLT4

ADEEL421

Sep 14, 2020
west palm beach
I don't know what Slacker is like (because we don't have it), but TuneIn Radio bit rates are awful, Spotify is better but too flaky in operation in the MCU1 (like it works 50% of the time on a good day). For so many of us a functional USB player is very important still for the reasons you also noted.
Not sure if this is true. I have MCU1 and my Spotify works flawlessly every time. No issues.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
It continues to be disappointing that Tesla can't fix the long outstanding USB media player bugs - especially forgetting the current source/song/position after resuming from sleep.

The early Model S production vehicles didn't have this problem. It wasn't until 2013 when Tesla added sleep mode, that we started having these problems. Initially sleep mode could be disabled - which avoided the resume-from-sleep bugs, in exchange for more battery usage while parked.

Later, Tesla decided to remove the "disable sleep" setting - and now is pretty aggressive in putting the vehicle to sleep (to save battery charge), which only makes the appearance of the USB media player bug more frequent.

Fixing this issue shouldn't be that difficulty - and hard to understand why Tesla hasn't fixed this issue by now. Without a fix, it can be frustrating to use the USB media player when returning to the car after it's gone to sleep - even more frustrating if it was playing very long audiobook...

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
That's disappointing to hear, I haven't had the nag for this update yet but I'll be keeping an eye out to see how widespread this issue is before updating.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC