Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digging up a slightly old thread here, since updating to 2020.4.1 I've noticed that the display of USB music album art is hit and miss, anyone else noticed that? (It had been working fine for me for ages).

Sadly same results for me too :(

Wish the music player received some love....

The USB music resuming is still broken. Oddly enough USB resuming works every single time if you have Sentry Mode turned on but I have Sentry turned off in my garage so whenever I get in my car at home, USB music never resumes :(

I have found a workaround. If you turn on Sentry Mode a couple of minutes before you enter the car, USB music WILL resume but what a hassle. Wish they'd fix the USB media initialization issue that is preventing USB music from resuming reliably.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and DCEV

The USB music resuming is still broken. Oddly enough USB resuming works every single time if you have Sentry Mode turned on but I have Sentry turned off in my garage so whenever I get in my car at home, USB music never resumes :(

I have found a workaround. If you turn on Sentry Mode a couple of minutes before you enter the car, USB music WILL resume but what a hassle. Wish they'd fix the USB media initialization issue that is preventing USB music from resuming reliably.

You can achieve the same by turning on the "Standby Mode" as part of Advanced Summon. The downside being this will drain your battery more notably throughout the day when the vehicle is not in use. I think there is a similar problem with Sentry Mode being on, perhaps due to some common factor of these settings preventing a vehicle from entering some lower "sleep" level once the vehicle is exited.

When we originally got the car (July 2018), it would very rarely remember which song it was playing when it was last driven (from USB stick).
My wife's audio collection now has over 1200 of her favorite songs on the USB stick in the car.

There was a period of several months last year, where the car would almost always remember what song was last playing. And that was great. :)

Then some software update broke that around the middle of last year, and its now very hit and miss. Often it'll remember, and then it won't, and sometimes without any intervention it'll remember after you get in again. :mad:

We use 2 USB sticks, one for TeslaCam and one for music. We rarely use Sentry mode.

You can achieve the same by turning on the "Standby Mode" as part of Advanced Summon. The downside being this will drain your battery more notably throughout the day when the vehicle is not in use. I think there is a similar problem with Sentry Mode being on, perhaps due to some common factor of these settings preventing a vehicle from entering some lower "sleep" level once the vehicle is exited.

Basically the same waste of battery resources. We have a garage at home so I want the car to be fully off when it is parked at home.

There is a USB initialization bug that is causing the USB music to not resume. Wish Tesla would fix this bug that has been around for so many years and causes so many of us to start our day in the morning with no music.To make things works, you can;t listen to music for the first 3 minutes of the drive because when the drive does get initialized, it insists on re indexing all 7,000 songs for 3 minutes.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
The door trick still works most of the time for me. Sometimes I have to open the door 3 times. The only failures occur when the car sometimes decides I need to listen to streaming music instead of the usb I wanted.

I've done this as well, which is a bit gymnastic, but it works.

For those who aren't aware of this, here's how I do it:
1. Get in the car as normal in the driver seat.
2. Sit down, but don't push the brake pedal yet to "turn on" the car.
3. Lift yourself off the seat so it is registered as "unoccupied".
4. Open and close the door. The car displays will turn off.
5. Push the brake pedal. Displays will come on and USB audio will resume.

Potentially every car is different, but for my 2018 Model X I do not have to get in the car. On the first opening I stick my head in the car to hear if music is playing. If music is playing I get in. If music is not playing I close the door. All the displays go black and I then open the door again. Most of the time my music is playing so I get in and everything is fine. If not, I try closing the door again.

The only issue I have had, is that if the car locks onto playing streaming music or any other source, the game is over because it will not go to usb on its own after actually starting another source.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
I noticed the other day during one of my none play events that it was reloading the library, but at a much faster pace then if I updated the thumb drive.

I added a new album this week and it took over 5 minutes to reload the library after inserting the drive. But during a recent "non resume" event when I did not have access the the USB content it was rebuilding the library. But this took only about 30 seconds.

I have found a workaround. If you turn on Sentry Mode a couple of minutes before you enter the car
My 2017 is too old to have such fancy features :(
But really, their code base must be an utter rats nest if basic stuff just keeps getting broken all the time.
I still have to put up with that stupid bug with the phone calls where the person cannot hear you unless you toggle the volume knob after answering.

Reactions: Chaserr
My 2017 is too old to have such fancy features :(
But really, their code base must be an utter rats nest if basic stuff just keeps getting broken all the time.
I still have to put up with that stupid bug with the phone calls where the person cannot hear you unless you toggle the volume knob after answering.

I wish at the least they would add "Play USB Music" as a voice command so after you start driving you can resume music...

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
My MCU locked up yesterday, in fact on the instrument cluster there was a message "Main screen not responsive, press left & right buttons" or something like that (never seen that before).
Anyway after resetting the MCU my album art is working again :rolleyes:

Now would be a good time to find someone that can backup your eMMC if you have a MCU1.
I purchased the car when it was just over a year old, the car has still only done 20,000 kms and for as long as I remember the MCU locking up has been par for the course with it. I appreciate the tip but I am 99% sure this is just Tesla lack of software QC, not failing eMMC.....Yeah I know that is a battle I will need to face one day.

Probably going to jinx it, but while my 2018 X is in for service, I have a 2016 S loaner with AP1. I put my USB drive in the loaner and so far the car has resumed my USB music both of the 2 times I have left the car and then comeback an hour or more later. Small victories I guess.

FWIW, as I reported previously, USB resume on my MCU1 2015 70D has been working correctly ever since one of the v8 updates more than a year, maybe year-and-a-half ago, or more. Still working properly on 2020.40.1. Seems like the problem is related to MCU2, even though ok on MCU1?

anyhow, in past several months I've mostly left USB music alone and been listening to Spotify in the car. You USB-listeners still having resume issues may be happy to hear that Tesla software engineers' incompetence in dealing with simple music player bugs isn't limited to USB. Playback on Spotify has a similar annoying issue - almost every time I get back in the car, the previous Spotify track or playlist is stopped and will not resume - I have to switch audio sources to Slacker momentarily before Spotify will start working again at all. As before with the months/years of USB problems, I hold little hope Tesla will (can/has any interest to) fix this or other music player issues.

The USB music not resuming is caused by the USB drive not initializing quickly enough when you open the door.

If I keep Sentry on, presumably keeping the USB subsystem alive, the USB music resumes immediately and always but the car is parked in my garage over 90% of the time so I don;t want to keep the car on for Sentry when it is in a locked garage.

If they would just add a time to try to play music again 5 second later if the initial try does not work because the drive takes a couple of second to initialize, it would fix this bug once and for all.

The other option is to power on the USB subsystem the moment you unlock the car manually. Then by the time you get in the car, the USB drive would have initialized.

So many easy ways to fix this issue...