Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love that iPhone/iPod connector!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although this could append on to the "we hate the Alpine" thread, I felt this was sufficiently different to justify it's own thread.

Anyone with a solution to the iPhone/iPod connector? Post your pictures.

Background: The iPhone/iPod connector looks great in pictures, but not in practice. To plug in my iPhone, I need to pull out the wire to get some slack, then connect the iPhone, then stuff the wire back in, then squeeze the connector back into its recess. That would be fine if I only had to do that once a month, but not when I have to do it several times per day... and especially not if I'm driving.

To avoid this, I typically used the bluetooth connection for playback. But recently, my bluetooth connection sound playback will just drop out for a few seconds without warning. It "feels" like a loose connection, but Tesla Ranger was not able to help because it is so intermittent. So I started using the USB connector. The sound no longer drops out, but I have problems changing from one podcast to another. The Alpine head unit shows me my playlists, but I can't find my podcasts. So when I finish one podcast, I have to pull over, disconnect my iPhone, change podcasts, then go through the steps above to reconnect it. What a huge PITA!!!

Am I the only one? Anyone find a workable solution?

Just ordered it. I imagine putting it right where the cable comes out would work. The iPhone will stick up a little over the gear selector buttons but that's not a big deal.

Can you post a picture of the holder empty and then one with the iPhone 4 in place? Thanks.

Just ordered it. I imagine putting it right where the cable comes out would work. The iPhone will stick up a little over the gear selector buttons but that's not a big deal. Can you post a picture of the holder empty and then one with the iPhone 4 in place? Thanks.

The thread at
New Infotainment Alpine?
has more on my setup, and the Alpine IVA-W520E head unit + NVE-M300P navigation module + KCE-400BT bluetooth that I got.

I normally make a playlist on the phone, with several hours of podcasts on it, and then just play from that. Avoids messing around with the phone while driving (or pulling over).

This picture shows it with the phone mounted:

EvieInterior.jpg

It does slightly obscure the DRIVE gear selector button (depending on how tall you are), but that is not an issue for me. I don't have a picture of it without the phone in place. It comes about half way up the phone (if you zoom in the picture, you can see), so without phone in place there is little impact. There is no obstruction to TC button or handbrake.

Note that ProClip have lots of models of this (depending on whether you have no case, bumper case, or adjustable for full case). I use the 'no case' one, but there still appears to be plenty of room for others.

Last edited:
Just ordered it. I imagine putting it right where the cable comes out would work. The iPhone will stick up a little over the gear selector buttons but that's not a big deal. Can you post a picture of the holder empty and then one with the iPhone 4 in place? Thanks.

Also, would this one work (for use WITH iPhone case) or is there not enough room on the sides? Taking the phone out of the case everytime would be almost as much of a pain as attaching it to the current adapter.

Apple iPhone 4 used with a Case - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for Cable Attachment - ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, GPS, and Handheld Devices

Also, would this one work (for use WITH iPhone case) or is there not enough room on the sides? Taking the phone out of the case everytime would be almost as much of a pain as attaching it to the current adapter.

Apple iPhone 4 used with a Case - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for Cable Attachment*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, GPS, and Handheld Devices

I haven't tried with that model, but think it would. In the position I have mine, it would depend on the extra width the case adds to it. But, you could raise it slightly and then it would clear the sides of the recessed hole it sits in. You wouldn't have to raise it much.

I'll get a close-up picture later today and post it, so you can see.

Can you post a picture of the holder empty and then one with the iPhone 4 in place? Thanks.

Apple iPhone 4 used with a Case - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for Cable Attachment*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, GPS, and Handheld Devices

Sorry, the docked photo is hard, because the good camera is the iPhone!

Attached are the best I could get in the gloomy office car park. You can see that there should be enough room even with a wider ProClip dock, as it sits high enough.

I did consider mounting it lower (pushing the connector down into the hole), but don't consider it necessary. The 'docked' picture is taken from driver eye level (I'm about 5'11") - as you can see, I still get about half of the DRIVE button in view, and don't consider it a problem.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• undocked1.JPG
    undocked1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 421
  • undocked3.JPG
    undocked3.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 411
  • docked.JPG
    docked.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 436
  • undocked2.JPG
    undocked2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 402
  • EvieInterior.jpg
    EvieInterior.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 404
Sorry, the docked photo is hard, because the good camera is the iPhone!

Attached are the best I could get in the gloomy office car park. You can see that there should be enough room even with a wider ProClip dock, as it sits high enough.

I did consider mounting it lower (pushing the connector down into the hole), but don't consider it necessary. The 'docked' picture is taken from driver eye level (I'm about 5'11") - as you can see, I still get about half of the DRIVE button in view, and don't consider it a problem.

Hope this helps.

I ordered one now as well... it's funny I was going to post something asking about a better iPod/iPhone solution since I just hate what's currently there now. I often take my car out at night and sometime it takes me forever to get the iPhone connected as the car is pretty dark inside even with the interior light turned on.... likewise, it takes a long time to get disconnected, and the other day I ended up pulling the wire too far out of the slot and kind of messing it up. I need to put that in the "things not to do with a Roadster" thread actually. Anyway, finally a solution is here! (I like you Tesla Red iPhone by the way! Nice touch.)

I have an iPhone 4 and after removing the rectangular rubber piece that came around the plug I am able to tuck the phone w/ plug back in quite easily. My beef is I have to wait until the radio is fully booted before I can plug in my phone.

Does anyone have a solution for how to deal with the Bluetooth audio overriding the iPhone connector audio? I regularly use streaming "radio" stations on my iPhone (usually with the clock radio app, since it is the most stable), but if I attempt to attach my iPhone to the connector before the Bluetooth handsfree is connection has been negotiated, the audio output will switch to Bluetooth, and I'll have to disconnect and reconnect the iPhone connector to get it back to normal.

I would also love to have a better solution for use of the head unit's display, since seeing "paused" all the time is kind of pointless.

FYI, I have the stock audio, not premium - not sure if there is any difference in application.

Does anyone have a solution for how to deal with the Bluetooth audio overriding the iPhone connector audio? I regularly use streaming "radio" stations on my iPhone (usually with the clock radio app, since it is the most stable), but if I attempt to attach my iPhone to the connector before the Bluetooth handsfree is connection has been negotiated, the audio output will switch to Bluetooth, and I'll have to disconnect and reconnect the iPhone connector to get it back to normal.

I would also love to have a better solution for use of the head unit's display, since seeing "paused" all the time is kind of pointless.

FYI, I have the stock audio, not premium - not sure if there is any difference in application.

Markwj, did you consider installing the swivel adaptor or is there no room for such a thing?

Reasons I didn't:

1. It would have brought it forward about 3/4"", and that would have been too close to the handbrake for my comfort.
2. The swivel adaptors tend to un-swivel, and come loose, over time.
3. It would have been harder to mount - the base has a very large area to double-sided tape, but the swivel adaptor is less than 1" square. Designed to be screwed in - possible, and very secure, but a bit rough on my 1 week old roadster ;-).

I did consider adding this:

ProClip Device Mounting Adapter - 15 Degree Wedge - ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, GPS, and Handheld Devices

and have one, but haven't had a chance yet. That (mounted thick end down) would adjust the angle and make the phone easier to see. It is still a reasonable size for double-sided tape mounting against the roadster.