Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love the car, HATE HATE HATE the Pano Roof.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted a video on youtube a few days after I got my P90D. Here is the link.
I had expressed concern about the panoramic roof because I really hate light and heat coming down from top of my head. The video got over 8k views and lots of thumbs down. Some said my complaint is just to show off like a whining brat. Some said it has been addressed by the mesh sunshade free from Tesla. But to me, it is indeed a real problem. From the look of sunshade by Tesla, I really doubt its effectiveness because I have tested a lot mesh material. I haven't received the sunshade yet, but I did tint windshield with 20% ceramic tint, which is supposed to block a large amount of heat. But I checked the glass temperature at noon, it reached up close to 150 degree, yes, 150F degree! just inches above my head! Here is the link to the video about windshield--
Now, I have had the car for 50 days and driven for around 2500 miles, my love for everything else of the car is growing everyday, but my dislike of the windshield is also growing fast!

I want to check to see if anyone else out there who feel the same way about the pano roof as me. If I had a choice, I rather pay to have a regular roof with heat blocking plastics like my Sienna. I don’t know why pano roof is such a big selling point these days. A few days ago, I test drove a GLS550 and a 750i. Pano Roof seems to come standard and what’s worst, is they are also covered with MESH material and the heat coming down from above is more than just annoying, I absolutely hated it.

What can I do to completely block the heat and light from above? Duct tape?

I have 6000 miles now on my X delivered on March 31. Driving in 100 plus heat in Northern Calofornia.. I have not noticed any heat coming off the windshield as I use the AC . With the AC on is it noticible for you? I just got the sunshade yesterday and am not sure I will use it.. I have asked rear passengers if they notice any heat from the roof and all have said they didn't notice anything different. Regarding the mirror I think it is perfect. I can see what I need to out the back as I was fortunate to make the change to a six seater which Tesla even refunded my $500 change fee at pick up. I am 6'1" and sat in the third row for a 2 hour ride and found it comfortable enough. I compare it to sitting in coach on a airplane. I think your choice of 7 seats is one of your issues with third row seating and mirror issue. My only complaint I have is the noisy AC fan and I believe Tesla is working on a solution. Great car !.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I think some of us are less tolerant of any Sun on us. I am one of those people and that is why I bought my Model S with a solid roof and would not even consider getting an X with all that glass. The windshield in the X alone is a deal breaker. Looks like the 3 will have too much glass too so I will wait and see what it is like before considering that.

• Informative
DSC7713_1024x1024.jpg

Only solution I can think of is to get an external "bra" or vinyl wrap over the portion of the windshield you dislike. Maybe a thicker plastic if it bothers you enough.

I got my windshield tinted, and although much improved, I can still feel the heat coming through. Doesn't bother me enough to want to give up the pano windshield though.

@J1mbo I hope you meant this as a joke otherwise it is insulting.

To the OP:
I was worried about the panoramic windshield as well. Living in the AZ desert, I am used to high temperatures and bright sunlight. I am pretty sensitive to light as well and always have to wear sunglasses. The day we picked up our model X, it was 118f and I received the sunscreen which I had the SC install right away. I would not have been able to drive the car without it.
The screen actually works quite well. I don't have the windshield tinted yet. I drove the car for a week before I had the (other) windows tinted and the car wrapped. At that time I didn't think I would need the windshield tinted. I still don't think I will.
I have some concerns about the AC. Although it works OK, the vents are definitely form over function. They are too small to produce enough air in high heat. Eventually the car will cool down but it doesn't feel comfortable for the first 30-60 minutes.
If you haven't received or tried the sun screen yet, please make sure to try it. I think you might be happily surprised on how well this works.

It has been a little overcast here the last few days and actually took the sunscreen out. I really like the look but I am sure it will go back in as soon as the clouds disappear or I have to drive in early/late day sun.

I understand your frustration. When I had an E class w/ the pano roof, it also came with mesh screen to cover the pano roof as you saw in the GLS. My wife would complain that mesh every time she sat in it under the sun.

I do not know why they all decided to use mesh vs solid materials. Maybe they think if you want to get pano roof you prefer more sunlight...

Anyways, I believe you already knew about the windshield before you got the car. It is what it is; not every car is perfect / suitable for everyone. There are owners who love the large windshield and the heat and hate other things that you might love.

What's the temperature on the roof / solid material behind the windshield? Did you check?

Attachments

• IMG_8159.JPG
    IMG_8159.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 267
Maybe not the right metric to use, temperature of the glass? The tint should reduce that amount infra red energy that hits the interior which causes the seats and even yourself as the driver to get hot.

Sort of like sitting under a steel umbrella. it may block all the infrad energy from the sun and keeping you cooler, but the steel umbrella itself is likely to be very hot.

Photosync Tint Review – Customer Praise Photosync | AP Tinting

even in this FLIR shot, the glass with photosync is way hotter than without, but the amount IR enegry absorbed by the interior is far less.

• Informative
Maybe not the right metric to use, temperature of the glass? The tint should reduce that amount infra red energy that hits the interior which causes the seats and even yourself as the driver to get hot.

Sort of like sitting under a steel umbrella. it may block all the infrad energy from the sun and keeping you cooler, but the steel umbrella itself is likely to be very hot.

Photosync Tint Review – Customer Praise Photosync | AP Tinting

even in this FLIR shot, the glass with photosync is way hotter than without, but the amount IR enegry absorbed by the interior is far less.

You are so right! Your answer solved my biggest puzzle as to why the glass gets hotter after tinting. So imagine sitting right under the red hot steel umbrella, definitely wouldn't be fun!

I live in Miami and I too dont want heat or a ton of light and while I dont have an S Yet but nowcwith it being either glass of pano the choice of not getting either is gone. I dont believe you ever answered but did you go with spectra photosync on your pano or a different brand? I assume not ps because you mentioned 20% and they only go as low as 35%. I assume I will go with 35% on my glass roof as well, but Im debating what I will finally do with the glass. I know front windshield will be 75% all other windows will be 45% and then what I do with glass window im not quite sure yet.

I can vouch for the photosync. I had 75% applied to front windshield, and it really blocks the heat. It appears virtually clear when looked through. From what I understand photosync was coming out with a larger size designed be able to cover the X front windshield in one piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy 1
I can vouch for the photosync. I had 75% applied to front windshield, and it really blocks the heat. It appears virtually clear when looked through. From what I understand photosync was coming out with a larger size designed be able to cover the X front windshield in one piece.

Photosync is available for the large X windshield already. I had it done on my first X back in March 2016

• Informative