Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love the car hate the company (or at least employees)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a used (2014) model s, 2 weeks ago. I was assured, by my sales adviser (John Pier - avoid him) that any issue not documented in the pictures would be taken care of by Tesla. So... I took delivery of the car. It is in pretty good shape, and didnt notice anything, at the time of delivery, that wasnt documented in the photos. However the very next day, I washed the car and immediately noticed that the tail lights were holding water, and have condensation. Also the rear bumper is cracked. The sunroof also does a lot of stuttering when opening and closing. I immediately emailed John, and received no answer. I sent about 3 emails to him and left him 2 voicemails... and that asshole still hasnt called me back. So I go through customer service in my Tesla account. I get a response that they will notify the sales adviser at the service center where i picked up the car, and the will call me to get the issued fixed. 3 days later, no call... so i call them. They have no idea what im talking about and pawn me back off to customer service or my local service center. At this point i just want my frickin car fixed. Customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. I would love to have this turned around so I can have confidence in Tesla, but what does a customer have to do to get their car fixed?

Sorry for the rant... Im at wits end with this. BUT i do love this car.

...Im at wits end with this...

Could you take your car to Service Center and explain the situation to see they would fix them as CPO warranty?

They should be familiar with water in tail lights so that won't be a problem.

Bumper replacement might require John Pier's sign-off so they can work that out.

Sunroof problems used to be fixed for free but I am not sure now so that might require John Pier's sign-off so they can work that out.

Just bought a used (2014) model s, 2 weeks ago. I was assured, by my sales adviser (John Pier - avoid him) that any issue not documented in the pictures would be taken care of by Tesla. So... I took delivery of the car. It is in pretty good shape, and didnt notice anything, at the time of delivery, that wasnt documented in the photos. However the very next day, I washed the car and immediately noticed that the tail lights were holding water, and have condensation. Also the rear bumper is cracked. The sunroof also does a lot of stuttering when opening and closing. I immediately emailed John, and received no answer. I sent about 3 emails to him and left him 2 voicemails... and that asshole still hasnt called me back. So I go through customer service in my Tesla account. I get a response that they will notify the sales adviser at the service center where i picked up the car, and the will call me to get the issued fixed. 3 days later, no call... so i call them. They have no idea what im talking about and pawn me back off to customer service or my local service center. At this point i just want my frickin car fixed. Customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. I would love to have this turned around so I can have confidence in Tesla, but what does a customer have to do to get their car fixed?

Take it to the service center and have the items fixed.

Could you take your car to Service Center and explain the situation to see they would fix them as CPO warranty?

They should be familiar with water in tail lights so that won't be a problem.

Bumper replacement might require John Pier's sign-off so they can work that out.

Sunroof problems used to be fixed for free but I am not sure now so that might require John Pier's sign-off so they can work that out.

I thought about that. But, I believe that any CPO warranty claim has a $200 deductible associated with it. I wish I could get confirmation about this but my sales adviser WONT GET BACK TO ME. So annoying.

I thought about that. But, I believe that any CPO warranty claim has a $200 deductible associated with it. I wish I could get confirmation about this but my sales adviser WONT GET BACK TO ME. So annoying.
The CPO warranty does not have a $200 deductible.

That’s the extended warranty that you can purchase from Tesla that has the $200 deductible (per visit: if you have multiple issues it’s just one charge of $200, not $200 per issue)

I had the LED DRL go out on both of my headlights. Made an service appointment and didn’t get charged one penny.

Take the car in and they will get it sorted out.

Reactions: croman
The CPO warranty does not have a $200 deductible.

That’s the extended warranty that you can purchase from Tesla that has the $200 deductible (per visit: if you have multiple issues it’s just one charge of $200, not $200 per issue)

I had the LED DRL go out on both of my headlights. Made an service appointment and didn’t get charged one penny.

Take the car in and they will get it sorted out.
Thank for clarification. I made an appointment with local SC.

As others have mentioned, issues like condensation in your tail lights and sunroof stuttering are all covered under the CPO warranty.

Any damage that wasn’t visible in the pictures seems to be completely up to your delivery agent. I had a similar experience and got the run around with Tesla employees. Ultimately showing pictures of the damage and explaining why I thought certain things were beyond normal wear and tear got the approval from my delivery agents manager to create a due bill for repair.

1) The Tesla used car warranty has no cost associated with warranty repairs. This does not cover cosmetic issues which are going to have to be handled by and authorized/denied by your sales adviser unfortunately. It has been my first-hand experience that these people are skillfully trained in the art of the worst customer service possible so don't hold your breath for items you didn't find prior to delivery being fixed on Tesla's dime or even hearing back from the person of the denial in a timely fashion.

2) This is NOT a CPO vehicle or a CPO warranty. Please stop calling it as such as it is confusing to those reading these posts that don't know that Tesla did away with the "CPO" branding late last year. Tesla used to call them CPO but most inferred a certain level of refurbishment based on other manufacturer's CPO cars which didn't exist. Those interested in buying a used car directly from Tesla might assume they're all CPO which they are not. They are used with a warranty. Not CPO.

If it was the very next day I would had drove the car over to SC so it was documented. I think you sales guy is just that... as stated already only the bumper is questionable and they will take care of the other items. You just need the SC at this point and forget sales.

My Sales Advisor was John Pier. After a number of emails went unanswered and not being able to leave voicemails due to his mailbox being full, I was sure he didn't actually exist and was just some fictitious made-up person.

When he did call me a few days later (not as a response to any of my inquiries), I was shocked that he was a real person and told him that on the phone :)

In my experience with Tesla services and managers, get ou ALL in writing .Lies and lies and more used car salesman like behavior.

You inspected the vehicle...And no damage and then noticed the damage after the inspection. How does Tesla supposed to know the vehicle wasnt rearended or bumped into while you had it. The inspection you did didn't say anything about a scratched bumper or broken tail light.

This is why companies have inspections.

IMO you are SOL and suck it up.
Disagree. You can't "inspect" for water in the tail lights until the friggin car gets wet. That usually happens after the first wash. The bumper might be up for debate but not the tail lights especially considering it's a KNOWN issue

Disagree. You can't "inspect" for water in the tail lights until the friggin car gets wet. That usually happens after the first wash. The bumper might be up for debate but not the tail lights especially considering it's a KNOWN issue

Water in taillights will be covered under warranty. If the tail lights are cracked absolutely not. They should of been inspected and noted of any cracks. Especially since the bumper was cracked! that's the first thing you look for next, is cracks in the tail lights. If there's no cracks from damage then i see absolutely no reason for Tesla not to cover it under warranty. Sounds like the vehicle might of been rearended. Expect more hidden damage behind the bumper that could be allot! Also inspect the inside of the trunk and see if it closes well and all body lines line up.

As a buyer you really are required to do your due diligence and inspect the vehicle. Or bring someone that's familiar with used cars along that can help with inspections.

If the vehicle was in an accident and not disclosed.. that's a different issue.

Last edited:
Water in taillights will be covered under warranty. If the tail lights are cracked absolutely not. They should of been inspected and noted of any cracks. Especially since the bumper was cracked! that's the first thing you look for next, is cracks in the tail lights. If there's no cracks from damage then i see absolutely no reason for Tesla not to cover it under warranty. Sounds like the vehicle might of been rearended. Expect more hidden damage behind the bumper that could be allot! Also inspect the inside of the trunk and see if it closes well and all body lines line up.

As a buyer you really are required to do your due diligence and inspect the vehicle. Or bring someone that's familiar with used cars along that can help with inspections.

If the vehicle was in an accident and not disclosed.. that's a different issue.
No, he's right. There's no way to know that a taillight housing is going to allow water penetration w/o the presence of water. Don't make it sound like anyone could have known that prior to delivery. Some cars that still have the older applique were prone to holding condensation over the reverse lights but this was due to a double lens issue that they easily remedied by coming out with a different applique that doesn't have the dual lens. The opening is a different shape so you can tell from even photos w/o water that that is the older style and request to have it changed out because it will trap moisture. I've found that it's easier to take delivery and simply tell service shortly thereafter that you had water trapped in the reverse lights and they'll just replace that applique with the newer version under warranty. Telling someone they should have known better on the taillight housing prior to taking delivery when there wasn't water present is just silly though.

I took the comments as I should have seen the bumper cracked and that the tail lights and sunroof are issues that will probably get fixed. I do appreciate the people actually trying to help, as opposed to being told to suck it up (kind of juvenile). The car was NOT rear ended, so lets not assume something we know nothing about. The cracked bumper wasnt noticed because the car was not clean, and there would have been no way of seeing it, unless I washed the car and inspected it before taking delivery. View attachment 398702 View attachment 398702 View attachment 398703

Attachments

• tailight.jpg
    tailight.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 83
  • bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 61
I took the comments as I should have seen the bumper cracked and that the tail lights and sunroof are issues that will probably get fixed. I do appreciate the people actually trying to help, as opposed to being told to suck it up (kind of juvenile). The car was NOT rear ended, so lets not assume something we know nothing about. The cracked bumper wasnt noticed because the car was not clean, and there would have been no way of seeing it, unless I washed the car and inspected it before taking delivery. View attachment 398702 View attachment 398702 View attachment 398703

You shouldn’t have issue with the taillights. I had the same problem (mine was obvious during delivery.) They shrugged it off and said to make a service appointment. It wasn’t documented anywhere at the time of delivery. When I had the ranger come out a week later they didn’t give me any issue and replaced both to be safe.

You know better than I do, but your bumper doesn’t appear to be cracked. The paint seems the be cracked. It should only need refinished not replaced. I think this SHOULD be covered by them. Unfortunately I’d be surprised if they do cover it. My car was in much worse cosmetic shape than they showed (and I knew going into it it had been keyed across two panels!) and they more or less said take it or leave it.

Reactions: Ludalicious