Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love the white interior, but . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
There's a problem - the white upholstery on the lower edge of the dashboard creates a white reflection across part of the left rear view mirror:

IMG_0635.JPG

I checked the white surface with a strong magnet and no grip. I'm thinking some sort of double-stick tape and some black felt. Anyone else run into this and come up with a fix? I don't want to do anything permanent.

Interesting but certainly annoying problem.
I would research interior dyeing professionals in your area to see if they can do a matte black on that portion to reduce the glare but still match the color and feel of the rest of the trim nearby.
Would love to see your final solution.

Current solution: I used some 3/4" black felt (adhesive backed) purchased from the Woodworker's Store. I had to buy something like an 8 ft roll for a six-inch piece, but the roll was about $7. Sheet felt with adhesive backing was closer to $12.

This kills the top-edge reflection, but now I've noticed that under certain sun conditions, the panel face below the top edge can also reflect a lot of light and create an image in the side window that appears to cover the outer edge of the mirror image. More thought needed, for which I'll have time while driving to Oregon today for the Monday eclipse.

Polarized sunglasses should take care of most of that reflection.

I wear polarized sunglasses while driving. The white reflection is very visible on a sunny day.

Polarized sunglasses are horizontally polarized to attenuate light/glare reflected (at near grazing incidence) off horizontal surfaces. The grazing reflection has a larger horizontal component.