TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Love the white interior, but . . .

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Padelford, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Padelford

Padelford Member

There's a problem - the white upholstery on the lower edge of the dashboard creates a white reflection across part of the left rear view mirror:

IMG_0635.JPG
    I checked the white surface with a strong magnet and no grip. I'm thinking some sort of double-stick tape and some black felt. Anyone else run into this and come up with a fix? I don't want to do anything permanent.

2. SeaDoc

SeaDoc Tesla S 75D

adjust your mirror slightly, and it will go away...

3. azred

azred Member

The white will surely be gray soon enough and the problem will go away.

• Funny x 6
  4. Padelford

Padelford Member

The reflection is in the window, not off the mirror. It just happens to be superimposed on the mirror.

5. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

It's right in the way for the way I sit too. The dash binnacle at night is also annoying. I've gotten used to those, but not the diffraction that happens around the outside edge of the mirror itself where that outline/wire is.

6. seclinton

seclinton Member

try polarized tint perhaps?

• Like x 1
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

You could get a black version of that part from Tesla.

8. Fresh Start Detail

Fresh Start Detail Local Vendor - Northwest

Interesting but certainly annoying problem.
    I would research interior dyeing professionals in your area to see if they can do a matte black on that portion to reduce the glare but still match the color and feel of the rest of the trim nearby.
    Would love to see your final solution.

9. Padelford

Padelford Member

Current solution: I used some 3/4" black felt (adhesive backed) purchased from the Woodworker's Store. I had to buy something like an 8 ft roll for a six-inch piece, but the roll was about $7. Sheet felt with adhesive backing was closer to $12.

This kills the top-edge reflection, but now I've noticed that under certain sun conditions, the panel face below the top edge can also reflect a lot of light and create an image in the side window that appears to cover the outer edge of the mirror image. More thought needed, for which I'll have time while driving to Oregon today for the Monday eclipse.

10. rainforest

rainforest Member

I have the white interior but I've never seen any sort of reflection that bothers me.

11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Polarized sunglasses should take care of most of that reflection.

12. Padelford

Padelford Member

I wear polarized sunglasses while driving. The white reflection is very visible on a sunny day.

Polarized sunglasses are horizontally polarized to attenuate light/glare reflected (at near grazing incidence) off horizontal surfaces. The grazing reflection has a larger horizontal component.