Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loving the overheat protection this summer!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
When Tesla released the feature with a 105 degree set point, I thought pshaw, that won't help much. But I was recently shown the error in my ways when I had to drive my husbands Audi for a few days to work.

I park in a cell dead zone so the odds of me being able to precool the car with the app are slim. Occasionally it connects, but most often not, so I am mostly experiencing the overheat protection when I get in my car once it's been sitting in 105 degree heat uncovered all day.

It's hot when I get in the Tesla, but I didn't realize how LESS hot it is until I drove the Audi in. I use sunshades in both cars and always vent the sunroofs. Both cars have black leather interiors and red exteriors, so pretty equivalent. Getting in the Audi after it sat in 105 degree heat was nightmarish. I took it to lunch which was too short a drive to cool it off and ended up just covered in sweat, which I no longer deal with in the Tesla (it's AC can bring the temp down from 105 fairly quick)

So I am really looking forward to the customizable update that was mentioned and being able to set it at 90 or something lower than the 105. And I no longer fear getting a black leather interior, which I compromised on for my car.

Funny...I've had the Cabin Overheat Protection on by "accident" for months and have been wondering where has does my battery charge go with the car just sitting there?

Being in AZ, in the summer, the interior is literally always over 105º if the car is sitting, so the overheat protection was always working.
I shut it off a few days ago, and while it helped with the battery situation, I notice how miserable it is when getting in the car again. I was actually baffled for a bit thinking "Wow, I remember it used to be a lot hotter when I got in my car but this car isn't that bad." :p

Funny...I've had the Cabin Overheat Protection on by "accident" for months and have been wondering where has does my battery charge go with the car just sitting there?

Being in AZ, in the summer, the interior is literally always over 105º if the car is sitting, so the overheat protection was always working.
I shut it off a few days ago, and while it helped with the battery situation, I notice how miserable it is when getting in the car again. I was actually baffled for a bit thinking "Wow, I remember it used to be a lot hotter when I got in my car but this car isn't that bad." :p

I have a 80 mile round trip commute and charge to 226 each day, so for me the batttery loss on the overheat protection is totally worth it. It's not enough to jeapordize my trip home or anything, and the cooler car is soooo nice. I live in the high desert, so similar summers to AZ, it just only gets to 110 here instead of 120 there. ;)

Reactions: GSP
Heh, my commute is literally about 1.5 miles each way. Something about losing the battery charge just irks me though, even though I have solar on the house that provides 100% of our energy use, including the car, it still irks me haha. :p

BTW, yesterday afternoon when I went to leave a meeting after the car was sitting in the sun for about 45 minutes, the interior temp was 118º. :(

Ill probably turn the overheat protection back on. :)

Reactions: Az_Rael
Yes, overheat protection is so worth it. Yet another advantage over ICEs - cool cars in the summer, warm cars in the winter (remember when you had to wait for the engine to get warm before the car starts to warm up inside? Yeah, me neither).

I know what you're talking about ... ca 20 years ago I spent four weeks on vacation in the US, in California, Utah and Arizona. My family and I had rented a pitch black Chrysler Neon. Whenever we opened the doors of that thing after it had been sitting ina parking lot for a few hours it was like a blast furnace. I think the air once dried out my naked eyeballs so much in just a second or two that my eyelids stuck to them for a fraction of a second when I blinked.

• Funny
Reactions: Az_Rael