Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low beams are...too low? (short distance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it only me who complain about not the best low beam light on MY?
Compared to my GMC Terrain I see MY lights are
1. Has steeper angle to the road
2. Resulted in shorter lighted distance on the road (GMC I do not use high beams, while on MY I had to switch to them on country roads)

I see the option "adjust headlights" in car menu, but when pressed it warn only technician has to do it. Anybody tried to level up low beams through it?

Any "spec" for that by chance?

I thought it was interesting that the manual says you don't need to adjust the headlights if driving a LHD MY into a RHD area. I wonder if that means the lights are symmetrical (as opposed to having the passenger side shoot a bit higher like most cars) or if the Tesla is smart enough to make that adjustment on its own (not likely, I reckon).

I thought it was interesting that the manual says you don't need to adjust the headlights if driving a LHD MY into a RHD area. I wonder if that means the lights are symmetrical (as opposed to having the passenger side shoot a bit higher like most cars) or if the Tesla is smart enough to make that adjustment on its own (not likely, I reckon).

Using the menu, you adjust each separately. I'm in the US, so I set my driver's side lower. The factory setting had them too low.

Reactions: asa8080
US headlights are mostly symmetrical (I think asymmetrical isn't even allowed) in the sense that the light cutoff line is level, but it's allowed to have a bit of light to go up. In Europe they are (99.9%) asymmetrical (i.e. in RHD countried they shine up higher to the right side) and have a very sharp light cut-off. If the lights in Europe have some mechanism to change between RHD and LHD that would be great, I remember having to tape off part of the lens in order not to blind oncoming traffic (opposite low beams would look almost like high beams to them).