Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low beams are...too low? (short distance)

asa8080

Jul 23, 2020
Texas
Is it only me who complain about not the best low beam light on MY?
Compared to my GMC Terrain I see MY lights are
1. Has steeper angle to the road
2. Resulted in shorter lighted distance on the road (GMC I do not use high beams, while on MY I had to switch to them on country roads)

I see the option "adjust headlights" in car menu, but when pressed it warn only technician has to do it. Anybody tried to level up low beams through it?

Any "spec" for that by chance?

asa8080

Jul 23, 2020
Texas
Adjust them however you like them.

Using the MCU .. This was a pleasant surprise for me ... meawhile, my auto high beams are a bit flaky.
yeah, auto high beams are quiet "aggressive" I'd say (compared to GMC again and my personal expectations)
It could switch out quite late. many times was tempted to do myself

LNL_HUTZ

Aug 3, 2020
San Francisco
I thought it was interesting that the manual says you don't need to adjust the headlights if driving a LHD MY into a RHD area. I wonder if that means the lights are symmetrical (as opposed to having the passenger side shoot a bit higher like most cars) or if the Tesla is smart enough to make that adjustment on its own (not likely, I reckon).

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
I thought it was interesting that the manual says you don't need to adjust the headlights if driving a LHD MY into a RHD area. I wonder if that means the lights are symmetrical (as opposed to having the passenger side shoot a bit higher like most cars) or if the Tesla is smart enough to make that adjustment on its own (not likely, I reckon).

Using the menu, you adjust each separately. I'm in the US, so I set my driver's side lower. The factory setting had them too low.

Reactions: asa8080

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
US headlights are mostly symmetrical (I think asymmetrical isn't even allowed) in the sense that the light cutoff line is level, but it's allowed to have a bit of light to go up. In Europe they are (99.9%) asymmetrical (i.e. in RHD countried they shine up higher to the right side) and have a very sharp light cut-off. If the lights in Europe have some mechanism to change between RHD and LHD that would be great, I remember having to tape off part of the lens in order not to blind oncoming traffic (opposite low beams would look almost like high beams to them).

Protect1989

Jul 14, 2020
Dallas, TX
THANK YOU!!! I love this forum so much.

I havent driven my Y extensively at night, but last night I did and I couldnt help but think how low the headlights were. Will be adjusting my headlights later tonight

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC