Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Charge Speeds and Poor Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I recently stopped at the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger in SoCal and 5 of the chargers were out of commission for one reason or another being broken. I waited and hopped into a stall after someone else was finished and then only was hitting 37kw max at the 150kw charger.

Are people intentionally sabotaging these chargers in retaliation or are tesla owners not taking care of them?

I recently stopped at the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger in SoCal and 5 of the chargers were out of commission
for one reason or another being broken.

Are people intentionally sabotaging these chargers in retaliation or are tesla owners not taking care of them?

How do you find out that they were not working?
-Warning sign and or yellow tape around the charger
- Message on the car display
- You tested each one by one

Didyou noticed any visible damage?
- plug damaged

Reactions: cwerdna
Hi everyone,

I recently stopped at the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger in SoCal and 5 of the chargers were out of commission for one reason or another being broken. I waited and hopped into a stall after someone else was finished and then only was hitting 37kw max at the 150kw charger.

37 kW is about right for the second car to plug into a paired stall on a 150 kW supercharger. Since you mentioned that you were waiting and only got a stall after someone else left, it's most likely that your stall was paired with a another where that car was getting the full rate and yours did exactly what it was supposed to and operated normally.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and Rocky_H
I live in Rancho and I go to this SC about once a week. The site has been getting worse and worse. I would say 3 to 4 broken is quite common with low charge speeds for working stalls. I've plugged in to get 5 kW for over an hour. I've also gotten plugged in and served 0 kW for several minutes, and stalls refusing to start session, stalls disconnect when a neighbor plugs in and it goes on and on. The site is very heavily used and often a line on weekends all day and lines during busy peaks hours on weekdays. 10/12 stalls filled at midnight is not uncommon. It is not vandalism.

The build out of 24 urban 72kW urban chargers just a few miles up the road in Fontana has not relieved Rancho. Rancho is almost always slower than Fontana even though Rancho is 150 kW site.

Today all day the site was at reduced service so in decided to check it out. 6/12 are broken and there were zero cars there. I have never never ever seen Rancho with ZERO cars (my car to the pic is not plugged). Usually even at wee hours of 3 or 4 am there will be a couple of cars plugged in.

3 weeks ago I really needed a quick top up to get to 80% SOC. I pulled a whopping 9kW. After a few mins, I left when they speed didn't increase. I didn't bother trying another stall as this was the 3rd stall I tried and a line had then formed. I went home and charges at 8 kW. How super when it is only 1 kW faster than my garage?

Reduced service today
Screenshot_20200112-000400.jpg

13 kW
IMG_20190902_152315__01.jpg

5 kW
Screenshot_20190929-131421.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Went by VG today on my weekly visit. 5 stalls down, 5 car queue, even saw an X with towing a trailer heading there. I wanted to scream at him, go to Fontana instead ! You can parallel there and not to have wait only to get served 20-30 kW!

Interestingly the car nav said 2/12 available.

Yesterday at Mountain View, after ten minutes, my charge speed (at 60% SoC or so) had dropped to only 25 kW while alone on a pair.

Apparently the V2 Supercharger stations have a high failure rate from overheating if they get used continuously. I’ve had approximately zero problems in Gilroy and Salinas, but nonstop problems in Mountain View and Sunnyvale.

They really just need to replace all the high-use stations with V3 racks and cap them in software until they can up the available power....