Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Efficiency with High AC Usage + Large Phantom Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, last couple days it has been really hot so I've been using the AC quite a bit. I usually drive pretty fast too so my efficiency isn't always the best to begin with, but the last couple days it has been really low. See picture 1 below of the last couple days. Also, I've had some decent phantom drains, see picture 2.

Does anyone know if this is normal? For the phantom drains, the climate was on for about 3 minutes both times. I do have sentry mode on.

IMG_2542.PNG
IMG_2543.jpg

AC doesnt change your battery usage that much. I would point my finger at two things. First, whatever app that is that is measuring "efficiency" because thats just some algorithm whoever designed the app plugged in, and second, "I do have sentry on" means that you will use between 1-2 miles of electricity PER HOUR of sentry use.

There is no such thing as "phantom drain" which means "we dont know where it came from" when someone is using sentry and losing 2 miles per hour or less of energy (24-48 US miles per day).

Losses while idle, on top of the normal sentry on consumption, might also include "cabin overheat protection" which might use the AC to keep it under 40C. Check your settings.

Short trips will always have low "efficiency". Initial "get go" and cabin cooling will bring efficiency down and it takes a while to catch up.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
AC doesnt change your battery usage that much. I would point my finger at two things. First, whatever app that is that is measuring "efficiency" because thats just some algorithm whoever designed the app plugged in, and second, "I do have sentry on" means that you will use between 1-2 miles of electricity PER HOUR of sentry use.

There is no such thing as "phantom drain" which means "we dont know where it came from" when someone is using sentry and losing 2 miles per hour or less of energy (24-48 US miles per day).
Ok the senty piece makes sense! Didn't know it was that high though

Don't just think that sentry is the culprit though. Anything that keeps the car awake will consume that kind of power / drain 1-2 miles per hour. It's the car's computers, pumps etc. Sentry is one of the things that keeps the car awake.

Last couple of days has been really hot, high 30 deg Celsius (102+F) so likely the cabin overheat protection is kicking in as well. Then also sentry mode as well.