Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Mileage insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All -

Been loving the Tesla Y. Went with Allstate Milewise right out of the gate but have not been able to figure how to connect their mileage tracker.

Anyone else have any other low-mileage insurance that does not require the device to be plugged in?

Last year drove less than 4k miles.

Thanks!

You need to buy an OBD2 wiring harness and install in your MY, back of center console. Google it for more info. Once installed you will have a OBD2 compatible plug that you should be able to use to connect the AllState device to do the tracking. You would need to confirm that somehow, I am working on the assumption that this is the missing piece and how most insurance programs gather data for custom rates. Below are examples of such a wiring harness and there might be others out there too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DXY5KVX

HRN-CT20T11 | Geotab GO | Geotab Adapters | GPS Fleet Tracking

Why do you say that? I love metromile. I've saved thousands versus an equivalent low-mileage allstate or state farm plan without the tracker.

Gary - do you have metromile on a Tesla? I used to have them and tried getting a quote from them for my Tesla and they said they didnt support it. Wonder if I just got someone who didnt know what they were doing?

Why do you say that? I love metromile. I've saved thousands versus an equivalent low-mileage allstate or state farm plan without the tracker.

It's an unacceptable privacy erosion to allow a private insurer to collect GPS tracking and accelerometer data. Would you allow your health care insurer to monitor your meals and how often you go jogging?

Hey All -

Been loving the Tesla Y. Went with Allstate Milewise right out of the gate but have not been able to figure how to connect their mileage tracker.

Anyone else have any other low-mileage insurance that does not require the device to be plugged in?

Thanks!
Tesla Insurance is now available in Illinois. No need to hook anything up to Model Y. You can get a quote here...

Hey All -

Thanks!
I waited 2 yrs, 2 months & 6 days while back for my 2018 M3-I use to have Allstate, the company that do not have Tesla on their website. There's a discussion here on TMC back then how much they charge for Tesla and it was real crazy. So, I switched to Amica but you have the opportunity to switch to Tesla insurance.

When my MYP finally gets here I am going to check to see what my current provider (State Farm) will charge before thinking about if I should use the Tesla option or not. I had been a customer of Liberty Mutual for 12+ years but recently added a 2022 Civic Touring to my policy that will end up going to my oldest here pretty soon and the rates were over $300 a month all of a sudden. I have the standard 100/300/100 coverage with $500 deductible and a home owners policy with them so I was shocked. Moved it all over to State Farm and the civic is now at $126 per month with same coverages. I just really hate dealing with any kind of insurance.... Back to the thread topic though for both providers I have always selected the 8,000 year of estimated mileage per year option and wasn't aware of these other lower options mentioned here.

When my MYP finally gets here I am going to check to see what my current provider (State Farm) will charge before thinking about if I should use the Tesla option or not. I had been a customer of Liberty Mutual for 12+ years but recently added a 2022 Civic Touring to my policy that will end up going to my oldest here pretty soon and the rates were over $300 a month all of a sudden. I have the standard 100/300/100 coverage with $500 deductible and a home owners policy with them so I was shocked. Moved it all over to State Farm and the civic is now at $126 per month with same coverages. I just really hate dealing with any kind of insurance.... Back to the thread topic though for both providers I have always selected the 8,000 year of estimated mileage per year option and wasn't aware of these other lower options mentioned here.
With State Farm the cut off is 7500 miles max. I have one car on that discount, but not the Tesla.