Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low peak values on a new installation [Tesla will not fix strings in parallel]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCI: Mid-Circuit Interruptor
rather like a safety switch to keep your panels out of trouble.

per Tesla;
"The Mid-Circuit Interrupter functions as a Rapid Shutdown Device and is installed to be within in compliance with NEC 2017 and NEC 2020 where conductors are within 1’ of the PV array. When activated this device limits the voltage of conductors leaving the array to no more than 30 VDC between any two conductors, or any conductor and earth ground."​

Of course if it is open, the question is "why?"...

All the best,

BG

As I found out, Tesla installed strings in parallel, which affects production a lot because of shade. After many calls and emails trying to have them fix it, they told me today that they won't do it and that if I want each string to be directly connected to the inverter I have to pay for it.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve talking to a lawyer? I just cannot comprehend why Tesla would choose the worst possible design for a house with as much shade as mine.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
While wiring strings in parallel is not ideal, the actual hit to production may not be all that much especially if the shade is early morning or late afternoon.

In your other thread you seemed to have an issue other than the fact that the strings are wired in parallel. It looked like one of the strings was not functioning as the set of parallel strings were only producing half the normal current all day. This is not affected by the strings being wired in parallel Were you able to get them to address that? That would solve the majority of the low production issues.

As I found out in my other post Low peak values on a new installation , Tesla installed strings in parallel, which affects production a lot because of shade. After many calls and emails trying to have them fix it, they told me today that they won't do it and that if I want each string to be directly connected to the inverter I have to pay for it.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve talking to a lawyer? I just cannot comprehend why Tesla would choose the worst possible design for a house with as much shade as mine.

Thank you.
Do the panels have optimizers? If you have optimizers on the pannels you should be ok.

While wiring strings in parallel is not ideal, the actual hit to production may not be all that much especially if the shade is early morning or late afternoon.

In your other thread you seemed to have an issue other than the fact that the strings are wired in parallel. It looked like one of the strings was not functioning as the set of parallel strings were only producing half the normal current all day. This is not affected by the strings being wired in parallel Were you able to get them to address that? That would solve the majority of the low production issues.
They did fix that.

MCI = Mid Circuit Interrupter
Per Tesla:
"The Mid-Circuit Interrupter functions as a Rapid Shutdown Device and is installed to be within in compliance with NEC 2017 and NEC 2020 where conductors are within 1’ of the PV array. When activated this device limits the voltage of conductors leaving the array to no more than 30 VDC between any two conductors, or any conductor and earth ground."​

MCI = Mid Circuit Interrupter
Per Tesla:
Thanks for the link it was very helpful in figuring out what was going on.

Reactions: BGbreeder