Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low pitch rattle coming from front - no fix available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from Europe. I have the same issue on my October 2017 M S 100D. After 9 days at the SC for 11 issues (10 of them solved thank god). The last issues, the rattle is indeed a known problem, but no fix available for the moment. I just can not believe that this can happen with a car that's already 5 years in production. Serious, would you accept this from Audi, BMW or Mercedes ? I don't think so. So i'm not taking this from Tesla. I give them another 2 months and then I start a legal action. Also 11 issues on a brand new car. I had a total of 2 issues on my last 5 cars on their whole lifespan (all Mercedes and BMW). Hope to be in an all electric German car soon .....

I have the exact same issue on my AP1/Facelift 2016 Model S. Super annoying, and super noticable at low-speeds, particularly over cobble-stones/brick pavers. I assumed, until reading this, it was the funky tires, but clearly not. I hope there's a fix for this, it's one of the few annoyances I have with the car right now.

I hear this sound on my 2017 October MS 75D as well. In the first month that I got it (December 17, it has been in the SC for over 2 weeks). They fixed a rattle on the passenger side sunshade visor area, but they did not really acknowledge the little low decibel rattle in the front (almost sounds like something rattling in the trunk ) while going on bumps.

I too have this low, almost thumping sound on my September 2017 build. Would not characterize it as a rattle, more like a bolt that's just sitting on top of a hole without a nut holding it in. Like a low decibel flutter. Only at slow speed. Definitely needs suspension travel to get it to do it, though. If the road is smooth, I don't hear it. Glad I'm not the only one! Otherwise, the car's been pretty perfect (knock on wood).

Same issue on my sept build. Toronto service department also told me its an engineering issue with no fix

Seems to be getting worse so taking it back in next week

6500 miles so far on my Dec 2017 build. No noise so far. My driveway is 1-mile dirt road with lots of bumps.
I don't know if that would trigger it. I've not driven on a dirt road lately, but the surfaces that expose the issue in my car are 'slow and regularly a bit bumpy'. I.e. the brick-paved road at my office, the ramp from the parking lot (but not the parking lot itself - the ramp has more texture). To me it seems like a very specific frequency that causes a weird resonance.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Mine has this sound, been to service for weeks trying to fix it. Some loaners have it, others not. No non-facelift cars had it. All parts in front suspension changed to no effect. SeC said they found an isssue that was sent to engineering, but not precisely what. Something with the upper links I understood. This was half a year ago...

• Informative
Mine has this sound, been to service for weeks trying to fix it. Some loaners have it, others not. No non-facelift cars had it. All parts in front suspension changed to no effect. SeC said they found an isssue that was sent to engineering, but not precisely what. Something with the upper links I understood. This was half a year ago...

I think I read a thread in the past that isolated the cause. If it is near the B pillar on the passenger side....

It is the angle of the dangle of a zip tied wire (or lack of a zip tied wire) as it passes a bracket or somethin'rather in the b-pillar... . It's on the forum somewhere but I'm lazy, and once I heard this explanation, it made perfect sense. The person opened up the panelling on the inside and secured the wire and it fixed it.

As for the dude that wants to buy a German e.v. because Mercedes and BMW wouldn't stand for such rattles: This makes me think two things: 1) that's basically what German luxury cars are known for (random expensive things breaking) 2) that we shouldn't forget that the exquisite pampering from the German luxury brands is great until you realize that once repaired, they give you back an inferior product.

I look forward to the day they come close to delivering something on par with a Tesla. Seems to be 3-4 years off for now. But yes, they (and Lexus) are really good at making me feel important while in the dealership. Too bad I'm not. I'll stick with the Tesla.

I think I read a thread in the past that isolated the cause. If it is near the B pillar on the passenger side....

It is the angle of the dangle of a zip tied wire (or lack of a zip tied wire) as it passes a bracket or somethin'rather in the b-pillar... . It's on the forum somewhere but I'm lazy, and once I heard this explanation, it made perfect sense. The person opened up the panelling on the inside and secured the wire and it fixed it.

As for the dude that wants to buy a German e.v. because Mercedes and BMW wouldn't stand for such rattles: This makes me think two things: 1) that's basically what German luxury cars are known for (random expensive things breaking) 2) that we shouldn't forget that the exquisite pampering from the German luxury brands is great until you realize that once repaired, they give you back an inferior product.

I look forward to the day they come close to delivering something on par with a Tesla. Seems to be 3-4 years off for now. But yes, they (and Lexus) are really good at making me feel important while in the dealership. Too bad I'm not. I'll stick with the Tesla.
I like Tesla and love my MS so far, however all the cars I have owned in the past, German, American and Japanese, have not seen anything close to my 4 month old Tesla in repairs/issues combined. Never before I had a car that had to be in for repairs for 2 days one day after I took delivery. Model S is a beautiful car plagued by build quality issues. I’m hoping that Model 3 build quality is better than my car’s, otherwise Tesla will go bankrupt before you know it.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelgjr
I had the same rattle when my car was new. Best replicated at low speeds on slightly broken surfaces. It was fixed at my first annual inspection by replacing an air suspension component. I've heard the same rattle on 2 loaners including a Model S 100D brand new and right off the truck. My issue has returned and I've been told that Tesla is working on a solution with the air suspension supplier.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and daktari
I have the same rattle on my July '16 built 75D. The steering rack was replaced once with no real improvement. I did notice that a few times when it was below freezing, the rattle went away. My car also has the coil suspension, not the air suspension.

2017 September build 90D. I hope they find a solution soon. My rattle started about a month in and it’s gotten louder. Been to SC three times and no fix available. I’m happy for those who don’t have this issue as it is really noticeable and annoying. Imagine listening to this in your brand new car on every drive:

• Informative