Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low pitch rattle coming from front - no fix available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the vibration appear to originate from the drivers side only for all members?

Mine appears to originate from Drivers side (Oz delivered so right hand side). Wondering if US cars vibration is on left side? (drivers side)

If everyone is getting from drivers side this may help pinpoint origination as the configuration of left vs right hand drive will be different allowing better isolation of source?

Any thoughts?

Model S April 2016 build Showroom car with first look of refresh nose from that time. 139000 ish
I get clanking from front end at low speed only after taking off from work or any place parked for quite some time, as suspension resets to normal from being parked all day. Its been there from day one and is only a few seconds. Its the only anomaly I can say exists with the exception of various fit and finish fixes inside due to the facts of it being showroom car and abuse from that fact. All correct now.

Late Nov - Early Dec 2017 build, air, 7500 mi. No issues (knock on wood) and I’ve been listening.

Hi @Buster1, interesting...would you mind taking a picture of the partnumber/manufacturer of your struts? That information is visible when the suspension is set to the highest setting and the wheel all the way in one direction.

There is another thread about this issue (Rattle noise coming from front air suspension) where folks who have the issues (myself included) all have the same struts part. Hopefully your will be different. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
So I tried to get into the front of the car and see what I could see. Boy, there’s a lot of plastic up there! Anyhow, I honestly couldn’t see anything that looked like it had been modified. Maybe I didn’t peel back enough layers, but I went as far as I could. I have no idea what the tech did. Sorry

Reactions: daktari
OK, just adding a report. I took delivery of a new P100D in December 2017. Front rattles about half the time when on imperfect ( I wouldn't even say rough) pavement or bumps. Occasionally this is accompanied by mild vibration in the steering wheel (not the lane departure warning - I know the difference). It started very early but I can't pinpoint the mileage. My car has been to SC twice. First time they said they fixed it. Second time that they don't hear it. Frustrating because as far as I can tell it is exactly as it was when I first heard it.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
I have had the same rattling noise coming from the drivers side for the past few months. My car is a 2013, S85, no air suspension with 138,000 miles. Only during slow speeds, under 15mph. No difference based on outside temps. I have always suspected the sway bar links and possibly the upper control arm.

I attempted to get pricing on new parts from Tesla Parts department, but now one ever called me back after several calls and messages. I reached out to a Tesla dismantler in CA. , Autobahn Dismantling Inc. Talked to Henry, great guy. Ordered both LH / RH sway bar links and the LH upper control arm. Total w/shipping, $235. These were off of a 2014 S85, no air suspension, will around 50K miles.

I replace the LH sway bar link last night in about 30 min. 15mm socket and open/box wrench plus a small allen wrench to hold the ball shaft end. Jack up car, remove wheel, loosen link nuts, remove link, install replacement link, reverse the order and done. There was a noticeable difference in the free-play of the ball shaft between my original link and the replacement. Mostly on the top attachment point to the spindle assembly not at the sway bar.

Before replacing the upper control arm, I went for a test drive. NO more rattle! I am saving the RH link for the future replacement when that one goes bad and keeping the upper control arm for the same reason.

Next project is to repack the outer CV joints with new grease. Hoping that will eliminate the persistent "clicking" sound coming from the rear wheels every time I press and depress the accelerator pedal.