Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low power, no acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all I have 2020 LR MY delivered in the last week of September. Up until a week ago I loved it. Two weeks ago after a snow storm I had a rare in person work meeting. I keep my car in a semi-heated garage. The temperature was 47 deg f and the car had 242 miles as stated range (didn't check percent). I didn't preheat car. I got in the car selected reverse and backed out of my driveway. I started going forward and since I live in a neighborhood I started driving slowly. As I started to accelerate to 25 mph, I notice the car was very sluggish, took 20 seconds to get to 20 mph and wouldn't go any faster. The only error message I got was regenerative breaking reduced. I returned to my garage and plugged the car in and turned on charging and cabin climate control. I started removing the snow from my other car (2013 Ford C-Max energi). I had not driven the C-Max for a bit so I had get out my jumper battery to to turn on the 12 volt system. I decided before I tried that to try the MY again and it worked fine. I went to work and made a few stops, all no problem.

I next drove the car on Wednesday, and again had no problems. I though it was just a glitch. On Friday afternoon I went to drive the car again, and the problem returned. I returned to my garage and plugged the car in and turned on charging and cabin climate control, but after two hours the car had only gained 1 mile in range. The charging screen said 32/32 amps but had a 0 mph rate. I stopped charging. I scheduled roadside assist using the app. After many messages back and forth describing what happened I finally got a call from the roadside dispatcher. He told me there was nothing in the log and this was just the way electric cars work when it is cold out. I requested a tow to the service center and was told to call back on Monday because it was now 6PM and the service center was closed until Monday morning. All days the temp in my garage was in the high 40s and outside was in the 30s on the first two days and in the high 40s on Friday. The roadside assist was closed out as completed.

On Monday morning I again scheduled roadside assist from the app and was finaly called by a dispatcher who had me do a screen reset. He them told me to test drive. All appeared to be OK so he had me schedule a service appointment from the app. The first available was March 4th, 4 days later. I brought the car in the next Thursday and they gave me a loaner (I needed one, I live 50 miles from the service center). Late that day I was called by the tech and he said they ran all test, including charging, and there was no problem. There were no errors in the log. I picked up the car Friday and drove it home.

On Saturday it was in the 50s and I went to drive to pickup carry out. I backed the car out of my garage and I got the message shutting down now and it just stopped. It wouldn't move or change gears or go into netural so I could at least get from being half in the street. I exited and reentered the car and it let me put it in reverse. I finished backing out and tried to go forward and it would only go 10 mph. I returned to my garage and called the service center and left a message of what happened and a request to call me first thing Monday morning. The tech did call me about 8:45 Monday morning and had me go try the car. He was monitoring the car and as soon as I tried to back out of the garage the shutdown message popped up and the car stopped. He said he got a bunch of error codes. he had me exit the car and re-enter and it would allow me to finish putting the car in my drive way. He said all the codes vanished. I tried to drive but 10 mph was the max it would go. The tech told me to call roadside assist and no mater what they said make them tow it in now. So I did and they came and got my car.

I heard nothing all day but the app did change my car status to in service. It now says estimated completion Mar 19 so I assume they ordered some part. I left a message on the app requestion an update on what is happening and asking if they can deliver a loaner to me since the car will be out of service for weeks.

Has anybody have a simular problem? I tried searching but I could not find another thread like this. I did find several shutting down issues, but none with 20 mph limit and no error codes. I will update as I recieve more information.

Reactions: Scurrah and JHCCAZ
There is obviously a problem with your Model Y but why did you plug in the Model Y to charge and turn on the climate control? The climate control system effectively consumed all of the power (240V/32A) that would have otherwise been used to charge the battery. That would explain the 0 MPH charging rate.

There is obviously a problem with your Model Y but why did you plug in the Model Y to charge and turn on the climate control? The climate control system effectively consumed all of the power (240V/32A) that would have otherwise been used to charge the battery. That would explain the 0 MPH charging rate.
Sorry. I wasn't clear. It charged at at 26 miles mph rate the first time when I did turn on the climate control. The 0 MPH was the second time when it was just charging.

I just got an update in email. Apparently they have ordered a HV battery pack.
Parts Ordered
  1. ASY,HVBAT,E3,AWD,1PH,M3Y
    Part #: 1104422-00-T
    Order Date: March 8, 2021

Also I have only 2200 miles, no place to go with COVID.
In a situation like this Tesla should either provide a loaner vehicle or a voucher for a rental vehicle.

They will give me a loaner. I just need a ride to the service center. The center is 50 miles away. I have requested a loaner be delivered to me. They offered if i ubered to them they would issue uber credits equaly to the cost. The problem is I almost never use uber and I would never use the credits.

Similar situation with my model y (performance). Also late September birthday (49xxx vin). Also low covid miles (just over 3000). AND, my end result was also a new HV battery (and a couple of sensors)...

For me, I went out to the garage (mid March), and it was about 75 degrees in the garage. Outdoor teams were in the 30’s. And I don’t have a heated garage. I freaked. Same thing. Car was showing that it was still using 48/48 amps (already at my 80% battery charge limit I usually use). It showed that it was adding 0 miles, but still said I had about 4 hours left to charge. I unplugged. Fans/pumps eventually turned off. I did a test quick drive. I had full power but ZERO regen. At the end of the day, it turns out that the car thought the battery was stone cold (ie he the zero regen) and was VERY busy trying to warm up the battery (that did NOT need to be warmed up).

This happened about 3 weeks ago. They took the car and gave me a loaner right away. I just got a message this afternoon that it’s done and ready for me to pick up on Monday. New HV battery and sensors. I wasn’t told whether the battery caused the issue. Or if the heater fried the battery trying to warm it up.

Sounds like September was not a good month at the Tesla Factories...

What surprises me here is that the software apparently does not detect a malfunction in the temperature sensors. Pretty sure there is some redundancy here (i.e. multiple sensors probably in different locations) so a significant difference should be easy to detect, and should lead to some kind of warning. Basic stuff for any battery / embedded software engineer...

Either that, or there could be a common failure mode for these sensors making it impossible to detect a malfunction. That would obviously be a design error.

I have been busy so have not given an update. My car was finally ready on 27 March. I picked it up and everything works just fine. I miss some things on the model-X, mostly the doors and the navigate on auto pilot, but it was locked in chill mode so my Y drives much better. They had a problem getting the battery pack and that is why it took so long. Once they got the battery pack they had a backup in service and it took a few days to schedule it into service. The technician told me it was a failed temperature sensor in the battery pack. All in all I am happy with the service but disappointed in the sensor / software design. This is similar, but not quit as consequential, to the one sensor angle of attack sensor failuar monitoring on the 737-MAX air craft.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have been busy so have not given an update. My car was finally ready on 27 March. I picked it up and everything works just fine. I miss some things on the model-X, mostly the doors and the navigate on auto pilot, but it was locked in chill mode so my Y drives much better. They had a problem getting the battery pack and that is why it took so long. Once they got the battery pack they had a backup in service and it took a few days to schedule it into service. The technician told me it was a failed temperature sensor in the battery pack. All in all I am happy with the service but disappointed in the sensor / software design. This is similar, but not quit as consequential, to the one sensor angle of attack sensor failuar monitoring on the 737-MAX air craft.
Same for me. They said my issue was also a failed temp sensor inside the battery pack.