Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Power Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the city and sentry mode is useless for the one case I want it recoding: when a car is moving in a space in front or behind me so it can catch bumper scratchers.

All it does is just catch all the people walking down the sidewalk and burns a full battery every two weeks for no benefit.

They should have a low power mode that only activates when ultrasonics detect an object within 12 inches of the bumper....this would catch all the cases and remove the need to burn CPU cycles analyzing video.

Of course they removed the ultrasonics for new cars so doubt they would ever release this even though it would make sentry mode 100x better.

They should have a low power mode that only activates when ultrasonics detect an object within 12 inches of the bumper....this would catch all the cases and remove the need to burn CPU cycles analyzing video.

its not "burning cpu cycles analyzing video". its "keeping the entire car from sleeping because the cameras were never designed to be alarm systems / dash cameras".

its not "burning cpu cycles analyzing video". its "keeping the entire car from sleeping because the cameras were never designed to be alarm systems / dash cameras".
majority of the power draw is from image recognition nets running on the FSD chips to catch behavior it deems problematic and record to onboard storage.

This burns 200-300 watts, even if the car is not in sleep mode it would not come close to that much burn if video was not being analyzed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
majority of the power draw is from image recognition nets running on the FSD chips to catch behavior it deems problematic and record to onboard storage.

This burns 200-300 watts, even if the car is not in sleep mode it would not come close to that much burn if video was not being analyzed.

The car does not sleep if sentry is running, period. The car uses the same power when its awake and not moving, whether sentry is running or not, period.

Reactions: Big Earl
The car does not sleep if sentry is running, period. The car uses the same power when its awake and not moving, whether sentry is running or not, period.
I don't think that's right. When Sentry is enabled, the AP computer analyzes the input from the cameras, and that's what uses the power (like @johnmodely said). I don't know how much power it uses, but just running the dashcam without Sentry uses very little power.

What's interesting is that the two chips on the FSD computer only consume a total of 72w (36w each).

The Atom E8000 processor in MCU2 only uses 5w.

There's more to the systems than just the processors in them, but that's the big difference.