TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Low Power System fault 1416 - stuck on road

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, Nov 25, 2013.

1. asgard

asgard Member

I'm stuck on the road with this error. Car won't drive forward or back. Waiting for a tow.
    Has anyone figured out if this can be reset or it requires hardware?

2. augkuo

augkuo Member

What does your battery range say?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Low power suggests 12V system. Bad battery?

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

His is a 1.5 so the 12v system is within the main pack. When I had 12v battery issues in my 1.5 my car cutout twice. I cycled the key fully off and on. Allowed it to sit with key off for 2 minutes, and retried. It eventually got past the errors, system came up, and got me home which was a few blocks away. Here are the errors I had when my issue occurred with my original pack:

There's a series of errors that appeared on the screen, first saying:

1) HVAC cable fault
    2) DMC HW: ESS Cable Interlock fault
    3) BSM: Positive contactor / economizer stuck low
    4) BSM: Positive contactor / economizer stuck high

5. asgard

asgard Member

Correct, mine is a 1.5. I just get the Low Power System fault and a TPMS fault with 0psi reported on all tires. Main pack reports 178 miles in standard mode.

6. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I have the same issues. Indicated range has not been affected. Fortunately my car was at home when the problem started. I went to move the car and got the same messages along with the inability to drive it. I have a ranger coming out next week to take care of it. Hopefully it can be fixed here at home? Please let us know how this works out for you. My car is also a 1.5.

7. bart513

bart513 Member

I don't recall exactly what the error message was at this time, but I had driven over a large bump in the road and the motor cut out. It was a safety switch of some kind that cuts the motor off when in an accident. It was reset and everything was fine after that. This was with my 1.5. BTW I was able to restart the car after about 20 minutes but had it towed just in case.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

9. asgard

asgard Member

Tesla sent a flatbed out - and its sitting at the new Sunnyvale service center. Feels strange to be driving a Hyundai loaner :)
    flat.jpg

10. bart513

bart513 Member

Bummer. Thanks Wiztecy as always! I'll send you pics as soon as I get mine. Haven't driven it yet. ETA this Saturday:) Got the HID's btw from your guy.....

11. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

I know of two ways of restarting the 12V system.

1. Leave the car and lock it. After around 10 minutes the cooling pump stops. Then you can turn on the car, again.
    2. Open and close the charging port 10 times

#2 didn't work at my car, but I was told about it several times.

Did you figure out the reason for this error? I had it twice and then it disappeared.

Maybe we should make a list with all known errors with its ID and how one got them solved.

12. asgard

asgard Member

Tesla tried to walk me through the opening/closing of the charge port door method. It did not work.

I heard back from the supervisor who worked on the car. He said clearing the faults and resetting the car immediately fixed it.

They are running all kinds of dumps on it to diagnose the root cause.
    They speculate it may be the shifter or possibly the aftermarket camera I added but the latter is unlikely since the camera has been there for a couple of months.