TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Low Power System Service Required

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I got the above message on the display along with a "Fault" light on the speedometer. The car won't go into Drive or Reverse, only Neutral and Park. I'm guessing this is not a simple, "back yard mechanic," repair?

2. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

If Error ID 1416, it could be the switchpack, as it was for me... though other potential causes are checked first. See thread:http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9389-Looking-for-Tesla-parts-12V-quot-switchpack-quot

Went direct to Tesla Service (no real DIY skills for me)... took quite some time to get the right part.

3. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks pharma5. It's almost time for my 36,000 mile service anyway so I'll kill two, (or maybe eight),:biggrin: birds with one stone.

4. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Hey PDude, just curious how you made out - same or different type of issue?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.

5. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I have a ranger scheduled to come out on 12-3. I'll report back on the results.

6. asgard

asgard Member

Pantera Dude: Please call the Tesla Sunnyvale service dept and let them know you have the same issue as my car.
    The tech there is apparently one of the early Roadster experts and knows how to reset it.

7. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks Asgard. Was it as simple as just a reset? No expensive parts or repairs?

8. asgard

asgard Member

Just a reset. They are running full diagnosis on the car so they are keeping it for a few days. But it is fully functional.

9. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Any clue on how they reset it?

10. asgard

asgard Member

Not yet. I plan to ask the engineer who worked on my car when I pick it up. Apparently he's one of the early engineers on the Roadster and a precious resource.
    The good news is that they are investing a lot of time in understanding the problem and logging their findings so it should help everyone.
    They need to get to an internal bus to grab logs from there, and that requires a bit of disassembly.

11. asgard

asgard Member

Just heard from Sunnyvale. They are going to replace the switchpack. Also potentially the shifter sensor.
    Anyone know what functions the switchpack performs?

12. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Don't recall exactly(?), but had the impression it sits between the high voltage setup of the main battery pack (ESS) and all the low voltage items like the 12V outlet, door release, maybe other dash instrumentation. (Roadster v1.5's do not have a separate 12V battery and use a sheet or two in the ESS).

When I first reported error 1416, I was asked about the amber FAULT light on the dash and whether I'd been using the 12V outlet a lot and if would still work with something plugged in. (I'd never used the 12V outlet... worked fine when asked to test, but car would still start and drive at that point...I had error 1416 several times before finally the nonstart). There was quite a bit of effort getting the right replacement part - it seems that switchpacks evolved over time with the Roadster, and that most of the replacement stock was of later configuration.

Hope that is helpful... would welcome more info myself.

13. asgard

asgard Member

Yes finding the right switchpack is taking some time. They tried one that happened to be available but it did not register itself correctly. My car is still with them. At this point it's going to probably be next week before they can locate the right version of the switchpack.

14. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

At least that long for me. In my case, it ended up being a refurb part that worked. May be the same for you if your car is old enough...?

15. asgard

asgard Member

Pharma5, how old is your car? Mine is #474 and the last few of the 1.5s, dated May 2009.

16. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Dated July 2008. (Actually had to check:redface:).

17. asgard

asgard Member

My 1.5 Roadster is still at the service center waiting for them to find the right switchpack.
    Seems like the holidays slowed things a bit. They did find a 1.5 version switchpack
    but they had trouble reprogramming it to recognize my Roadster.
    They are continuing to look for another switchpack, and also look into repairing the
    existing one, though the repair of a board seems questionable to me.
    Narrowing down a defective part on a board can be exceedingly hard unless you
    have the right test harness setup, with the right test inputs etc etc.

18. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

I feel your pain - I had the same issue on coding of potential replacements. (I should clarify my prior post: "refurb part" installed = non-new, known working part. My original switchpack was not repaired and returned to me).

Trying to repair yours is good to confirm/track the failure mode... not sure what QC would look like before a fixed board could go back to a customer.

Might be time to dig out the drawings and commission some of select vintage...:frown:

19. asgard

asgard Member

The good news is that they found a switchpack that works! The bad news is that there are very few of these around.
    How do we dig out the vintage drawings? I can probably get them made.

20. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Cool - congrats. Nothing like pushing the go pedal again after a hiatus.:biggrin:

Was thinking TSLA should bust out the drawings proactively (presuming all versions/specs were well-documented). Seemed like there were few parts already 7 months ago when mine was in the shop... and I guess PDude may have the same issue(?).

I've never seen a drawing of it, or even the part itself aside from the pics on the thread below:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9389-Looking-for-Tesla-parts-12V-quot-switchpack-quot