Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Power System Service Required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Burlingame Service Center has diagnosed the problem with my car as being the 12V switchpack board, as others in this thread have indicated it would be. Amazingly (to me at least) they say they have one of those boards in stock at that location. The cost of the board is as others have stated, about $1K, or as I like to think of it, "1 TFU" (Tesla Financial Unit). Have been quoted 1.05 hours of labor to replace the board, and a 1 hour diagnostic charge.

Reactions: tvuolo and dpeilow
Just got my car back with the replacement 12V switchpack board installed. My Service Advisor said that although the Burlingame CA Service Center had a board in stock, when they installed it in my car they discovered it did not work because there was no "boot loader" installed in it. So they got a board from Fremont and used that in my car.

I hope this replacement board lasts for the life of the car. It's a pricey repair, and who knows if 10 years from now the board will even be available, anywhere!

I realize this thread is a couple years old, but I just had my switch pack go bad. So far Tesla has not located a replacement for me. I've got a 1.5 Roadster which is now 10 years old. Love the car and want to keep it on the road, but I'm getting concerned about Tesla's ability and/or economic willingness to continue support. I wonder if Tesla will ever reach a point where they would release the Roadster schematics, firmware (at least for some parts like this one) and wiring diagrams. They released patents and such, so it doesn't seem like it would be a stretch to release schematics? If not I fear it is going to one day require serious reverse engineering in order to keep these wonderful cars on the road. My switchpack symptoms came on slowly and increased over time until the car will no longer drive. That type of failure sounds a lot like a capacitor issue in a switching power supply, but I'm just guessing. Either that or some sort of failing connection, as semiconductors tend to have hard/permanent failures in my experience. Sure wish I had a schematic....

I realize this thread is a couple years old, but I just had my switch pack go bad...... Sure wish I had a schematic....

I never saw a schematic, but this thread had fairly close-up pics:
Looking for Tesla parts - 12V "switchpack"

It took some time to find a match several years ago when mine when bad. It convinced me that this is one of the top obscure proprietary parts that Tesla should be making spares of, in however many variations there were through the life of the Roadster program.

Wishing you luck in a successful and speedy resolution.